Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brandon Webb pics top 10 favorite war movies

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Brandon Webb pics top 10 favorite war movies

I agree with all of them, but one surprised me, The Hurt Locker.

I have never seen it, and the reason I never bothered was everyome from the mil I knew, or read a review, seemed to all conclude it sucked, so I never saw that one. Should I bother?

"Everyone has their own opinion of what makes a good war movie. Unfortunately very few can offer anything of substance.

Yes, I'm talking to you, orange grime Cheeto finger-licking video game player in your momma's basement. You can kick my ass in "Call of Duty" but in real life, you'd pee your pants in a kill house live-fire training mission.

So lick the cheese off your fingers and take notes, some man stuff coming at you.

Below is my small contribution to the best war movies of all time. I carefully selected my 10 favorites and put them in no particular order other than my #1 of all time, "The Great Escape," at the top.

After serving in the SEAL Teams I find it really hard to sit through most action movies without being overly critical of the tactics. For me sitting through a bad action movie is pure torture. Worse than "The Notebook." Worse than fingernails on a chalkboard. And like my old chief would say, f---ed up as a football bat."

Cont:

https://www.businessinsider.com/a-na...hurt-locker-10
    Last edited by WillBrink; 04-01-20 at 13:03.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Brandon Webb huh!!
    Love you Pop. F*ck Cancer.

I'm from everywhere man because I'm an everywhere man....
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Hummm, surprised that All Quiet On The Western Front isn't on the list. IMHO, the best of all time, but Black Hawk Down could be a tie. Das Boot was really good too.

My fingers are stained with Zapp's Voodoo Heat and I don't play video games... Sat around rebuilding 46 FROG engines at New River. Being a teacher in a high security pen has some pretty crazy moments to it. Seen some unreal things.

I thought the Hurt Locker sucked too. Too much of the "insane screamin' rebel" in it made it unreal.
    Last edited by teufelhund1918; 04-01-20 at 13:22.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    For those too lazy to look up the list:

• The Great Escape
    • Apocalypse Now
    • Platoon
    • Predator
    • Black Hawk Down
    • The Hunt for Red October
    • The Deer Hunter
    • The Dirty Dozen
    • Saving Private Ryan
    • The Hurt Locker

Yes on: The Great Escape, Apocalypse Now, Platoon, Black Hawk Down, Dirty Dozen and Saving Private Ryan

I'm not sure I'd add Predator or Hunt for Red October into a "war movie" genre.

The Deer Hunter was just dark. Good flick, but I'm not sure I'd put it in a top 10 list.

Hurt Locker sucked...

Minus those four, I'd add:

Bridge on the River Kwai
    Das Boot
    A Bridge Too Far
    We Were Soldiers

Honorable Mentions: Patton, The Longest Day, Downfall (war movie?), Courage Under Fire, Guns of Navarone

Would Band of Brothers be considered a "movie" for this purpose? Certainly worthy of consideration.
    Last edited by Grand58742; 04-01-20 at 13:28.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoochild View Post
    Brandon Webb huh!!
    Not sure how to interpret that comment. I thought he was pretty spot on, but for that one movie, which admittedly, I never saw.

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhund1918 View Post
    Hummm, surprised that All Quiet On The Western Front isn't on the list. IMHO, the best of all time, but Black Hawk Down could be a tie. Das Boot was really good too.

My fingers are stained with Zapp's Voodoo Heat and I don't play video games... Sat around rebuilding 46 FROG engines at New River. Being a teacher in a high security pen has some pretty crazy moments to it. Seen some unreal things.

I thought the Hurt Locker sucked too. Too much of the "insane screamin' rebel" in it made it unreal.
    Never heard a good thing about that movie, so I never bothered. I'd replace that one with The Seven Samurai perhaps. It's not a war movie in the classic sense, but neither is Predator.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post

• The Great Escape
    • Apocalypse Now
    • Platoon
    • Predator
    • Black Hawk Down
    • The Hunt for Red October
    • The Deer Hunter
    • The Dirty Dozen
    • Saving Private Ryan
    • The Hurt Locker

Yes on: The Great Escape, Apocalypse Now, Platoon, Black Hawk Down, Dirty Dozen and Saving Private Ryan

The Deer Hunter was just dark. Good flick, but I'm not sure I'd put it in a top 10 list.

Hurt Locker sucked...

Bridge on the River Kwai
    Das Boot
    A Bridge Too Far
    We Were Soldiers

Honorable Mentions: Patton, The Longest Day, Downfall (war movie?), Courage Under Fire, Guns of Navarone

Would Band of Brothers be considered a "movie" for this purpose? Certainly worthy of consideration.
    Deer Hunter was really dark, but beautifully made movie. Longest day needs to be on that list. I re watched that one recently and had forgotten just how good that was.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Deer Hunter was really dark, but beautifully made movie. Longest day needs to be on that list. I re watched that one recently and had forgotten just how good that was.
    I'd say We Were Soldiers over Longest Day personally.

It's a subjective list for certain.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoochild View Post
    Brandon Webb huh!!
    Nailed it!

He’s a self aggrandizing unethical guy making money off his trident and leaving nothing good in his wake.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Yeah, not sure about The Deer Hunter and Predator on that list, though I like them both. I hated--nay, loathed--The Hurt Locker.

I am curious about his methodology: Pure entertainment? Historical veracity? Sound doctrine/tactics? But I like his list minus comments above.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post

Hurt Locker sucked...

Bridge on the River Kwai
    Das Boot
    A Bridge Too Far
    We Were Soldiers

Ditto most of what you said. I really didn't care for "Hurt Locker", either. "Deer Hunter" is a good movie, but if his main critiques of war movies are too much artistic license, then that one takes the cake for it. "Band of Brothers" would have to be the best overall if you included it in lists like this. I'd also add "Crimson Tide".

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast