Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: any suggestions on a ar-10 .308 barrel length

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

any suggestions on a ar-10 .308 barrel length

looking at building my first AR-10 debating on barrel length. I'm looking at anything from 18' to 24 I'm wanting to use it to semi long range shoot and also hunt. any suggestions?

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    You will probably find a substantial amount of info in the Beyond 5.56/.223 subforum.

Feedback Score
    18 inch is what most people suggest. Look up velocity charts to help you decide your balance between handiness and long range effect.

Feedback Score

looking to build an AR-10

this will be my first ar-10 build and i am wanting to make a fully custom build. looking for some advise on the do's and dont's when building this gun.

Feedback Score
    The easiest thing to do for something quality is get a Larue Ultimate Upper Kit. They are priced right

If doing a complete build an Aero receiver set and Criterion barrel are a good start

Just pay attention to compatibility as it isnt as easy as an ar15 with the different types

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    The easiest thing to do for something quality is get a Larue Ultimate Upper Kit. They are priced right

If doing a complete build an Aero receiver set and Criterion barrel are a good start

Just pay attention to compatibility as it isnt as easy as an ar15 with the different types
    Good advice. I built my AR.308 using Aero upper and lower with a Faxon Firearms barrel. Faxon is quality as well.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nah190 View Post
    this will be my first ar-10 build and i am wanting to make a fully custom build. looking for some advise on the do's and dont's when building this gun.
    This thread is more about providing some pics and details on a custom-built AR. As in "I built my upper, built my lower, etc. etc. and not bolting an upper to a lower you dropped a trigger in (Just getting that from the do's and don'ts)
    Although questions pop up from time to time, this thread wasn't created for questions. All that said, you can pop here and post your question and I'll be more than happy to provide some info, I've done several custom 308 builds and am more than happy to answer any questions, and provide some recommendations in case you want to do a true "custom" build.

I'm not a mod, just trying to point you in the right direction.

https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdispl...eyond-5-56-223
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    I put one together not long back using the following parts, and it worked out very well for me. Depends on what you want to do with yours though. Mine is a small-ish, light-ish, (for a .308) patrol carbine. It's for defensive combat use, but only for close distances of around 300 yds and in, as I live in wooded, farmland area.

Receivers... Aero Precision with their LPK
    Barrel... BA Hanson 14" with pin-and-welded Warcomp
    Rail system... Midwest Industries
    Scope... Primary Arms 1-8 with the ACSS reticle
    BUIS... Troy with tritium
    BCG... Lantac enhanced
    Recoil system... JP Captured
    Trigger... Geissele SSA-E
    Furniture... Magpul CTR stock, MOE grip, MVG M-LOK
    Weaponlight... Surefire M300 Scout Light
    Leftover ambidextrous safety that I can't remember where I got...
    Leftover scope mount... same deal... just happened to work out well.

Biggest thing to worry about is that there isn't a single standard like on the 5.56 sized guns. With them, due to the "mil spec" standard, (the fact that the military uses the platform) all the manufactures use the same dimensions. My .308 is of the DPMS style, so I had to make sure every part I selected was going to work with that style. Takes some research, but it's doable.
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 04-03-20 at 14:37.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Dude you seriously need to read the rules and do some searching here.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    I'm not a mod, just trying to point you in the right direction.
    Well, if you were a mod, you probably wouldn't take a two month break. Hadn't seen you on LF either, semi-worried you'd gone the way of the whale.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast