Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: any suggestions on a ar-10 .308 barrel length

Feedback Score

any suggestions on a ar-10 .308 barrel length

looking at building my first AR-10 debating on barrel length. I'm looking at anything from 18' to 24 I'm wanting to use it to semi long range shoot and also hunt. any suggestions?

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    You will probably find a substantial amount of info in the Beyond 5.56/.223 subforum.

Feedback Score
    18 inch is what most people suggest. Look up velocity charts to help you decide your balance between handiness and long range effect.

Feedback Score

looking to build an AR-10

this will be my first ar-10 build and i am wanting to make a fully custom build. looking for some advise on the do's and dont's when building this gun.

Feedback Score
    16 inch will do anything you need done! By the time you add a decent brake it will be long enough.
    Billy

US Army Retired, NRA Life member, M/C mechanic, Gunsmith

Feedback Score
    will be hunting with mine. I went 20" because the 16" was way too loud with out ear protection. Since you are hunting, i recommend a longer barrel for that reason. Most of the time i do not even hear the recoil, but with a 16" 308 it made my ears hurt for days.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    16" or 20".
    Anything in between is not worth the other negatives.
    Ammo selection and barrel quality/profile will mean way more in performance than barrel length.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    The easiest thing to do for something quality is get a Larue Ultimate Upper Kit. They are priced right

If doing a complete build an Aero receiver set and Criterion barrel are a good start

Just pay attention to compatibility as it isnt as easy as an ar15 with the different types

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    The easiest thing to do for something quality is get a Larue Ultimate Upper Kit. They are priced right

If doing a complete build an Aero receiver set and Criterion barrel are a good start

Just pay attention to compatibility as it isnt as easy as an ar15 with the different types
    Good advice. I built my AR.308 using Aero upper and lower with a Faxon Firearms barrel. Faxon is quality as well.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nah190 View Post
    this will be my first ar-10 build and i am wanting to make a fully custom build. looking for some advise on the do's and dont's when building this gun.
    This thread is more about providing some pics and details on a custom-built AR. As in "I built my upper, built my lower, etc. etc. and not bolting an upper to a lower you dropped a trigger in (Just getting that from the do's and don'ts)
    Although questions pop up from time to time, this thread wasn't created for questions. All that said, you can pop here and post your question and I'll be more than happy to provide some info, I've done several custom 308 builds and am more than happy to answer any questions, and provide some recommendations in case you want to do a true "custom" build.

I'm not a mod, just trying to point you in the right direction.

https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdispl...eyond-5-56-223
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast