Thread: looking to reload .308 for hunting/long range

Feedback Score

looking to reload .308 for hunting/long range

looking for suggestions on type of bullets brass and powder, also type of primers. also suggestion on crimping or not. this will be shot out of a AR-10

Feedback Score
    The Hornady 178 ELD-Xs are nice. Better BCs, etc. than the ELD-M and equivalent Sierras, plus expanding. Available and budget friendly. I am getting subMOA out of a PSA AR-10 without trying too hard.

Crimp if there is a cannelure. I don't for the 178s in an AR-10.

IMR 4064 seems popular among many others.

Feedback Score
    Can't go wrong with 175gr smk. I've nailed pigs, deer, antelope and elk with that bullet. It's hammered them all and I'm good fashion

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I have been loading Lapua brass with 43gr Varget, CCI BR2 primer and 175 SMK's for about 5 or so years. Consistent sub minute performer in my gun. It won't break any velocity records but it's not slow either.

Feedback Score
    and Lapua match brass...especially for long range. It may cost more but the time saved in prep is well worth it.

Good shooting!
    "You go into Afghanistan, you got guys who slap women around for five years because they didn't wear a veil
    ... you know, guys like that ain't got no manhood left anyway. So it's a hell of a lot of fun to shoot them."

Lt. Gen. James Mattis, USMC, former 1st Marine Division CO

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Do you already have the reloading equipment, or just getting started?

For 308 in my bolt gun I get great accuracy out of Norma brass, CCI 200 primers, 43.5 gr of Norma 203b powder (same as reloader 15) and Berger VLD hunter 168 BTHP bullets Seated to 2.810 COAL
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I load all kinds of stuff for the AR-10. I don't like to run Lapua Brass in the gas gun because they beat the brass up. I mostly use MEN brass or FC. For my dies/set up, the thicker neck brass is better. Thin necks like WIN or Hornady don't get enough neck tension on my Lee Collet neck size die.

Accubond has some LR hunting bullets. AR-10s usually love 168s, and we shoot them out to 1000 yards. But a good 175-178 is nice too if your gun likes it.

Not sure if the 168/175 TMK make for a hunting bullet, but those are often shot out of the AR-10s when we get out.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I dont load for a gas gun, but my go to 308 load is 44.0 grns of varget under a Berger 168 Hybrid, Lapua brass and a Fed 210m primer. I've hit steel at just shy of 1100 with it.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Mark runs 4064 for our AR10 loads mostly. We have had some luck with Varget, but our goto is 4064 for a long time.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Friend and I loaded some AA2495 and XBR tonight for 308. Had a couple of partial bottles so figured we would give them a try. Going to chrono the loads Sunday. I’ll report back if there is any success.