Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Question about Viruses

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    Sure. No prob.

Thirty days ago I did a model using an impossible 100% infection rate over an impossible four month period. This was about 60k to 600k with the high end because of not enough critical care resources. Divide by five over eight months, divide by ten over 12 months. But.... the vast majority of the resources would be tied up in futile, end of life care among patients most likely to be among the 250k average deaths per month without COVID we would have expected this year. Virtually all among those likely to die this year. And that reasonably appropriate levels of resources would be available if we focused on outliers and took a different approach to resource use in futile, end of life care. This was posted a few days after I calculated it in the COVID thread and seems to have been extremely unpopular. I predicted millions of lost jobs, hundreds of thousands of ruined retirement accounts, and thousands of lost businesses. And that the long term impacts of the panic were more harmful than less drastic measures saving those that would not be expected to soon die if they were not infected, but providing easement and comfort to those who would be expected to die soon even without infection. As I said, very unpopular. But the virus is not going to magically disappear in two weeks, three weeks, etc. and taking the hit with trying to glance it off was a good option vs. jumping off a cliff to avoid taking the hit was not a good option. The true impact of COVID had to be taken in perspective with our baseline death rate, who was in line to die this year without it, and who would likely only die this year if they were an outlier. I seem to have failed at conveying any perspective to most.

I will add that post below. A month after my initial hobby, napkin math assessment, - the official evaluations are starting to look a lot like my numbers vs. the initial super scary numbers they were giving.

I am only one guy with no say in national policy and no role in anything significant these days.
    With an educated opinion but still just one man’s opinion.

From one month ago-

For starters,
    Exponential growth, doubling time, etc. does not work out in real life like it does with pure math, out side of a lab, etc.
    Some basic, less economically devastating, educationally interrupting, societal interrupting, business destroying measures could have spread the curve.

You see a lot of sensationalist news about ICUs being full.

Ummm....
    At most hospitals on any given day the ICU is at or near 100% capacity.

This is like saying,
    Oh my God! With COVID I can’t find a single bottle of Pappy or Blantons near me! Well good luck with finding one pre COVID.

My point is that “The ICUs are 100% full!!!!” Is business as usual.
    It is not because of C19.

Everyday, there are people that die of their heart attack because the cath lab was occupied and in use before they could make it there, the CT team was tied up with another case, waiting hours for transfer to a place with neurosurgery, both the trauma OR and backup OR are running and someone is dying of internal bleeding with no OR or surgeon available.

Most people don’t feel or know about it. That concept is hitting home to a lot of people right now.

You see a lot of graphs and curves about exceeding capacity because of C19.

Again, the point was that is a problem in medicine without C19 issues.
    It is not caused by C19.

A bunch of people are running around acting like full ICUs, full ER beds, long ER wait times, etc, are because of COVID.

That is business as usual.

If C19 doubles the number of people needing to be in the ER, hospital, or ICU on a vent-
    There is no magical Elysium supply of medical care, equipment, and people.

The majority of those beds are already filled with a 94 year old non verbal, bed ridden, patient that had a head bleed and aspiration pneumonia and the family wants everything done. Or a septic IV heroin user with sepsis, endocarditis, epidural abscess, etc. Or a 400 pound 35 year old HIV positive patient with a huge saddle embolus that has spent the last three weeks in rehab from a stroke. Or a 50 year old heart failure, dialysis patient that does not take his meds and skips dialysis because they would rather keep doing cocaine. Or a 66 year old that rolled over his truck with an alcohol level of 300, COPD, cardiac stents, and has already had his license taken away years ago. Or the illegal alien that just had a massive anterior MI. Or the terminal, metastatic cancer patient that was supposed to be on hospice and comfort care. Or the 300 pound septic shock, chain smoking diabetic with peripheral vascular disease and limb infections. Or the psyc patient on their 87th visit to the hospital but this time they did their research and overdosed on Tylenol and lithium. None of them are long for this world. They are going to die in the next few days, or in the next few months, or this year with a ton of time spent in and out of the hospital.

The point is critical and emergency medical services, in the complete absence of COVID, are typically at or near full capacity.

About three million people die in America every year. About a quarter from heart disease, a fifth from cancer, about 5% each from lung disease, strokes, dementia/old age, and trauma. Throw in diabetes, kidney disease, and suicide for another 5%. Note how interrelated and coexistent many of these are.
    Then throw in recreational overdoses, autoimmune disorders, and everything else into the other 25 percent.

Could masks, no shaking or hugging, gloves handling money and items between people, and copious hand sanitizer had the same impact as a hard stop destroying the economy, businesses, retirement, jobs, of a massive portion of the population?

Could reasonable, sane news broadcasts accomplished similar instead of fan flaming led to a less panicked, more in depth planned response?

Could a plan to increase capacity by avoiding futile care been more reasonable?
    This is a harsh question.
    How many vents would be free if-
    No inoperable head bleeds get vents.
    No metastatic/palliative chemo/xrt cancer patients on vents.
    No LVAD, EF below 20%, or septic endocarditis patients on vents.
    No self ingested overdoses on vents.
    No intentional self inflicted gunshot wounds on vents.
    No BMI >50 on vents.

I won’t even get into the severely senile and demented who don’t know who they are, are non verbal, have PEG tubes because they won’t eat or drink, etc.

Should people that were going to die anyway in a few days or this year be allowed on a vent when someone that would have a long, normal life after recovery ?

Ok, now let’s add in some C19.

Say all 330 million people in America magically catch the virus in March, April, May, and June. There would normally be about 12 million hospital admissions during a four month period in America.) 100% exposure and infection is not possible. But we are going to paint the worst case scenario. On a graph with a 4 day doubling time, you could go from a few hundred cases to the entire population in about three weeks. Humans are not bacteria on a medium in a culture. There are shut ins, closed social circles, geographic barriers, closed loop repeat interaction circles, etc. even the four months I am using is crazy compressed but go with it.

Over 283.5 million people are not going to have any significant symptoms, go to a doctor, or have any issues.

About 49.5 million people will feel sick.

Let’s say About 7.5 million will be severe and need to be in the hospital.

And 750,000 of those are going to buy ten days on a vent.

I am being very, very generous with the doom percentages.

(There are over 36 million hospital admissions in over 6000 hospitals in America each year. With about 2% of patients accounting for 10% of costs, and about 1/3 of patients accounting for multiple admissions.)

This is not 7.5 million people admitted to the hospital on top of 12 million people normally admitted to the hospital during that four months.

It’s probably about 8 million people being admitted once or more than once, for a total of 12 million admissions.
    And the vast majority of the 7.5 million people that will need to be admitted for COVID are the same old, sickly, poor health, multiple medical problem, way above average disease for their age, etc. patients that were already among those getting admitted.

Anyways, let’s say we range from 75,000 to 600,000 of those admitted patients die.

And most are from the categories of the 3 million people that were going to die this year anyway.

Yes, it’s worse than the flu.
    Yes, it will strain the system.
    Yes, some alleviating, flattening, procedures needed to occur.
    But it is not a death sentence. We are talking 8% death rate with average age of 80 in a second world health care system with way less ICU and vent capacity.

We have destroyed a nation’s economy and way of life, ruined tons of businesses, put millions out of jobs, etc. in order to save elderly, sick, and unhealthy people from dying from COVID that were already going to die from other medical conditions at the same time or later this year.

Now let’s look at little kids under the age of 5.
    Let’s pick one single other virus.
    RSV. Each year,
    About half a million will show up in the ER. About 50,000 will be admitted to the hospital.
    About 500 will die. Add in flu. Add in other organisms for pneumonia.
    That’s thousands of little kids dying every year from pneumonia with zero media attention.
    The kids susceptible to the above are the same that would be susceptible to C19.
    Little kids dying is sad. The only good news is they can’t die twice from two different things.

And this goes for older kids and young adults.

I have painted the worse case scenario I can.

You will need to form your own opinion regarding the media, politicians, the public, the response, the current impacts, the long term impacts.

Was your 88 year old grandmother with dementia, heart disease, AFIB, falls, head bleeds, and bleeding ulcers that was going to die this year worth keeping alive a few more months not getting corona virus a fair trade for hundreds of men that worked for decades but have had their retired accounts shattered and will have to keep working? Was your beloved child with severe CF not being exposed to corona virus and making it another year before succumbing to another infection worth a dozen local businesses folding and hundreds of people losing jobs? Did saving the chain smoking alcoholic repeat accident drunk driver from getting C19 and dying next week so he can die from his variceal bleeding next month warrant thousands of kids having their education, lives, and futures interrupted and delayed? Was watching your everything to you wife spend another month or two miserable on palliative chemo therapy worth also losing your home, job, and the same for dozens of other people? We have bought a non compliant, crack fiend self inflicted heart failure, LVAD, dialysis, 40 year old that has never had a job and never supported his bastard children and been in and out of jail another month or two of life at significant expense and sacrifice to dozens of other people, was it worth it?

The questions are meant to be very harsh and soul searching.
    Thank you. My own 72 yr old mother sat in my office the other day and said she'd be glad to take one for the team to keep our business alive. That's a powerful statement. People who have never built anything substantial in their lives have no idea what some business owners are going through.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGunNut View Post
    Regardless of how you feel, this post and the vast majority of what this man says on this subject is gospel.

Triage occurs daily in all therapeutic settings; always has and always will. Thank God most people aren’t privy to the hallway decisions health care people HAVE to make. That is a cold hard fact. I’ve seen it destroy and consume men and women who can’t see past their intrinsic nature to save everyone.
    Excess capacity is a myth; good people bleed out because there was only one MD on shift when five ambulances and two packed cars pulled in. Then add in the knowledge that a bureaucrat cut two MD’s weeks before that school bus crash.
    The majority of health care resources are wasted on people that do not need or deserve to live, and in my 60 years I still haven't figured out any better way. It’s easy to play god and awfully hard to be proficient at it. The slippery slope part sneaks up on you.
    I would much rather live with pulling the plug on my own father than have a government agency telling me he did not check the right boxes to justify care.

As the man says...these are the harsh and soul searing questions that may have no good solutions.
    I think he's saying that should be a policy in some way shape or form. As a policy, it wouldn't be up to you to make the decision to pull the plug; it would be made for you. Agree or not, I do believe that is what he's suggesting.

To play Devil's Advocate, too many times I've seen the family wants everything done. Even when it's a losing battle, pull out all the stops. For ramairthree's theory to be implemented, it would require there be some overriding "law" or "statute" (read: policy) that could nix the wishes of the family. If that's what enough folks want, they'll get it. I just like to be humble enough to realize that it could be ME in that bed clinging to life. What is that saying? "There but for the grace of God go I"?

Hey, if I was toast, do it. But some dude in his 50's who gets the ChiCom Flu and carries a few extra pounds, maybe diabetic. With a little medical prudence on he and his doc's behalf, he could live for another 20+ years. I'd say he deserves a damn good shot at doing so. Just because he "checks a few boxes" doesn't mean he should be denied intensive, expensive care.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 04-09-20 at 18:50.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    To play Devil's Advocate, too many times I've seen the family wants everything done. Even when it's a losing battle, pull out all the stops. For ramairthree's theory to be implemented, it would require there be some overriding "law" or "statute" (read: policy) that could nix the wishes of the family. If that's what enough folks want, they'll get it. I just like to be humble enough to realize that it could be ME in that bed clinging to life. What is that saying? "There but for the grace of God go I"?
    It's one of those things where marrying into a family of medical professionals, the policy exists for a reason, people can make decisions on what exceptions make sense, but I know full well that barring unrelated catastrophic events happening, I'm going to kick it a bit prematurely because my upper respiratory system already sucks managing its primary job when there's any form of tree orgy going on, and decades of asthma symptoms driven by that turning into secondary infections are a pretty obvious path toward recurring pneumonia as I age into biological obsolescence... your last sentence pretty much sums of where I'll be at with that, if by grace of the mighty one I know I'm not coming out the other end, the most I'd want to hold on for is saying goodbye to anybody who wants to visit from out of town.

I do think if there's anything beyond a one decade positive prognosis on the table, first world western medicine is basically never going to turn that down. There are plenty of cases where that doesn't apply, and people inherently want to jump to the fallacious conclusion that 'it's not that different from the other case you did spend huge resources on', because medically there's a huge gulf in what is likely to result, even though external factors to somebody with no medical background don't seem that different.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think he's saying that should be a policy in some way shape or form. As a policy, it wouldn't be up to you to make the decision to pull the plug; it would be made for you. Agree or not, I do believe that is what he's suggesting.

Hey, if I was toast, do it. But some dude in his 50's who gets the ChiCom Flu and carries a few extra pounds, maybe diabetic. With a little medical prudence on he and his doc's behalf, he could live for another 20+ years. I'd say he deserves a damn good shot at doing so. Just because he "checks a few boxes" doesn't mean he should be denied intensive, expensive care.
    You make very good and valid points.

I agree, ergo I have no sensible solutions. I advocate individual choice and that commonly leads to nonsensical save at all cost decisions. That’s not good for anyone but I could never support an outsider deciding who lives or dies. Yet the reality is that outsiders make these decisions every day in real life. I’ve got a solid DNR and have had honest hard discussions with all that may face this decision for me. That’s my “policy” but not all individuals or families operate at that level.

Catch 22 but these “feel strongly both ways” thoughts are basic, intractable truths of life and may have no answers or even good solutions.

More than a few of us on this forum have and will continue to make these types of decisions. I wish I had a better answer that didn’t involve so many sleepless nights, anger and alcohol. My prayers go out to all that are on any side of this issue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGunNut View Post
    You make very good and valid points.

I agree, ergo I have no sensible solutions. I advocate individual choice and that commonly leads to nonsensical save at all cost decisions. That’s not good for anyone but I could never support an outsider deciding who lives or dies. Yet the reality is that outsiders make these decisions every day in real life. I’ve got a solid DNR and have had honest hard discussions with all that may face this decision for me. That’s my “policy” but not all individuals or families operate at that level.

Catch 22 but these “feel strongly both ways” thoughts are basic, intractable truths of life and may have no answers or even good solutions.

More than a few of us on this forum have and will continue to make these types of decisions. I wish I had a better answer that didn’t involve so many sleepless nights, anger and alcohol. My prayers go out to all that are on any side of this issue.
    Good post. Can't say I disagree.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score

Things have definitely ran away from us in America.
    In many other countries if you go to the hospital without being able to pay and with no entity to pay for you, you don’t get care. This is why we get a flood here from those countires.
    In most first and first-ish world countries with modern medical systems, You get care without an ability to pay in a socialized medical program.
    But patients get told/offered what they are going to get and if they are or are not a candidate. If they want more than the acceptable level of care, or don’t like how long it is going to take to get it, they go pay out of pocket at a private facility in their country or here in Amercia.

Americans SAY they want socialized medicine. They don’t. They want what we have here. Only more of it and faster. And to not pay for it.

Medicine has significant point of diminishing returns in terms of results and costs. In a humane, modern westernized first world nation with socialized medicine they are not going to intubate an 87 year old with pneumonia and sepsis, put him on a vent in the ICU with a central line, arterial line, and pressure supports and code him three times before he dies. Or survives and goes to rehab or the nursing home for a week or two before he is back again and dies. They will put him on mask oxygen, give fluids and antibiotics through a peripheral IV, and comfort medicines. A reasonable, humane, comfortable course of care. He may pull through. If not he will be care free and comfortable. What we typically do is America is not.

We do some horrible things to our significantly old and / or significantly sick people. You may say, well there can’t be anything worse than dying. There are several things.

So yes, I am a proponent of a base of medical options that are provided for everyone. But beyond that someone has to own the expense and responsibility for more instead of other citizens being forced to pay for it.

This does not mean the 50 year old with 29 extra pounds over the past ten years on the last hole on his belt that used to smoke in his twenties and has good blood pressure from the pill he takes every day doesn’t go to the cath lab and get his stent when his widow maker gets stopped up.

It means the 87 year old guy demented in a nursing home with blockages that can’t be reached to stent and too many other medical problems to survive bypass surgery does not get intubated and fo to the ICU and rack up a couple of million in care before he dies in a few weeks. He gets pain medicine and sleep medicine and oxygen and some sympathy, comfort, and dignity and nature takes its course.

For the 50 year old cocaine abuser, non compliant, does not take his meds, left AMA to get high soon after his last stent, never follows up after, and has spent his life shacked up with baby mommas on welfare, EBT, and section 8 and never held a job and medicaid cares for his offspring, and shows up in heart failure needing to be intubated- current law dictates he gets everything if he wants it. But it is neither practical nor sustainable during the best of times and only works because we deficit spend decades into the future. Putting him or the 87 year old above on a vent or keeping him on one during a worst case scenario when you are running short of medical personnel, out of vents, and could save a young, healthy RT, critical care RN, emergency physician, or intensivist you could save and have back in the fight in a few weeks would be insane.

Now, again, in a worst case scenario even harder would be some choices -
    You have one vent-
    27 year old morbidly obese mechanical engineer with uncontrolled hypertension and pre-diabetes,
    27 year old fit no medical problem lineman,
    27 year old slightly overweight smoker works the counter at autozone,
    27 year old healthy, fit, unemployed semi-literate video game player lives with parents,
    27 year old otherwise healthy, medically compliant HIV positive woman,
    27 year old stay at home mom with mild asthma

Who gets it?
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    In many other countries if you go to the hospital without being able to pay and with no entity to pay for you, you don’t get care. This is why we get a flood here from those countires.
    In most first and first-ish world countries with modern medical systems, You get care without an ability to pay in a socialized medical program.
    But patients get told/offered what they are going to get and if they are or are not a candidate. If they want more than the acceptable level of care, or don’t like how long it is going to take to get it, they go pay out of pocket at a private facility in their country or here in Amercia.

Americans SAY they want socialized medicine. They don’t. They want what we have here. Only more of it and faster. And to not pay for it.

Medicine has significant point of diminishing returns in terms of results and costs. In a humane, modern westernized first world nation with socialized medicine they are not going to intubate an 87 year old with pneumonia and sepsis, put him on a vent in the ICU with a central line, arterial line, and pressure supports and code him three times before he dies. Or survives and goes to rehab or the nursing home for a week or two before he is back again and dies. They will put him on mask oxygen, give fluids and antibiotics through a peripheral IV, and comfort medicines. A reasonable, humane, comfortable course of care. He may pull through. If not he will be care free and comfortable. What we typically do is America is not.

We do some horrible things to our significantly old and / or significantly sick people. You may say, well there can’t be anything worse than dying. There are several things.

So yes, I am a proponent of a base of medical options that are provided for everyone. But beyond that someone has to own the expense and responsibility for more instead of other citizens being forced to pay for it.

This does not mean the 50 year old with 29 extra pounds over the past ten years on the last hole on his belt that used to smoke in his twenties and has good blood pressure from the pill he takes every day doesn’t go to the cath lab and get his stent when his widow maker gets stopped up.

It means the 87 year old guy demented in a nursing home with blockages that can’t be reached to stent and too many other medical problems to survive bypass surgery does not get intubated and fo to the ICU and rack up a couple of million in care before he dies in a few weeks. He gets pain medicine and sleep medicine and oxygen and some sympathy, comfort, and dignity and nature takes its course.

For the 50 year old cocaine abuser, non compliant, does not take his meds, left AMA to get high soon after his last stent, never follows up after, and has spent his life shacked up with baby mommas on welfare, EBT, and section 8 and never held a job and medicaid cares for his offspring, and shows up in heart failure needing to be intubated- current law dictates he gets everything if he wants it. But it is neither practical nor sustainable during the best of times and only works because we deficit spend decades into the future. Putting him or the 87 year old above on a vent or keeping him on one during a worst case scenario when you are running short of medical personnel, out of vents, and could save a young, healthy RT, critical care RN, emergency physician, or intensivist you could save and have back in the fight in a few weeks would be insane.

You have one vent-
    27 year old morbidly obese mechanical engineer with uncontrolled hypertension and pre-diabetes,
    27 year old healthy, fit, unemployed semi-literate video game player lives with parents,

Who gets it?
    Okay, I gotta ask: does what insurance they have and it's subsequent reimbursement carry weight in the equation?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

You have one vent-

Who gets it?
    My gut tells me to save the lineman, otherwise healthy individual doing an in demand job that is needed and is vital.

Although the stay at home mom gives me pause

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    You think viruses are ****ed up? Go do some reading on prions.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    You think viruses are ****ed up? Go do some reading on prions.
    Aren't those the things that can't be killed?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast