Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about Viruses

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The reason I asked about Virus's and air filter goes all the way back to Legionnaires Disease.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legionnaires%27_disease
    It is usually spread by breathing in mist that contains the bacteria.[4] It can also occur when contaminated water is aspirated.[4] It typically does not spread directly between people, and most people who are exposed do not become infected.[4] Risk factors for infection include older age, a history of smoking, chronic lung disease, and poor immune function.[5][10] Those with severe pneumonia and those with pneumonia and a recent travel history should be tested for the disease.[11] Diagnosis is by a urinary antigen test and sputum culture.[6]

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    The reason I asked about Virus's and air filter goes all the way back to Legionnaires Disease.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legionnaires%27_disease
    It is usually spread by breathing in mist that contains the bacteria.[4] It can also occur when contaminated water is aspirated.[4] It typically does not spread directly between people, and most people who are exposed do not become infected.[4] Risk factors for infection include older age, a history of smoking, chronic lung disease, and poor immune function.[5][10] Those with severe pneumonia and those with pneumonia and a recent travel history should be tested for the disease.[11] Diagnosis is by a urinary antigen test and sputum culture.[6]
    Being a bacteria that can grow if given the right conditions and media, air filters are an obvious concern. Virus's don't grow outside their hosts at least.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Being a bacteria that can grow if given the right conditions and media, air filters are an obvious concern. Virus's don't grow outside their hosts at least.
    I remember that stuff killing a lot of folks seemingly immediately or almost.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Wife dug out our "bug" box, thought I had purchased n100 masks turned out their n95. She issued/gave some to our close neighbors, who had none. We have a hefty reserve of the n95s, tyvex hood/booted suits rubber gloves and saftey glasses.

Also have over cloth disposable booties, escapes me why I purchased these booties. She's wearing masks now, while shopping, today. I'm still home recovering from likely a bad head cold.

DW

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I remember that stuff killing a lot of folks seemingly immediately or almost.
    It's less common here than in Europe because most buildings here are newer with better ventilation systems/ducting, at least that's what I was told in France. Still a problem in older retirement and veterans homes, though. It's a big deal when it gets into older ducting, usually through contaminated water that seeps in, kind of like black mold.
    Last edited by sundance435; 04-03-20 at 15:12.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post
    It's less common here than in Europe because most buildings here are newer with better ventilation systems/ducting, at least that's what I was told in France. Still a problem in older retirement and veterans homes, though. It's a big deal when it gets into older ducting, usually through contaminated water that seeps in, kind of like black mold.
    Wondering if this Corona Virus could live in there?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Wondering if this Corona Virus could live in there?
    For as long as the virus can survive on the surfaces of the duct system, yes:

"According to a recent study published in the New England Journal of Medicine, SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, can live in the air and on surfaces between several hours and several days. The study found that the virus is viable for up to 72 hours on plastics, 48 hours on stainless steel, 24 hours on cardboard, and 4 hours on copper. It is also detectable in the air for three hours."

I'd think the real concern is a duct system blowing covid around a building it pulled in from some location someone had covid, but I don't know how big a concern that is realistically speaking.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    So, people are going to hospitals in NYC and LA to see the "war zone" and it's crickets. Not totally sure what to make of that but one would expect more activity from a city supposedly overwhelmed by covid. What are those in the med biz seeing in their own AO?

Last edited by WillBrink; 04-03-20 at 18:21.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    So, people are going to hospitals in NYC and LA to see the "war zone" and it's crickets. Not totally sure what to make of that but one would expect more activity from a city supposedly overwhelmed by covid. What are those in the med biz seeing in their own AO?

What an idiot. Covid19 patients aren't in the ER. They are in isolation and ICU rooms.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    What an idiot. Covid19 patients aren't in the ER. They are in isolation and ICU rooms.
    You wouldn't expect a bit more activity at major facilities claiming long lines, etc? Did you watch the whole thing? It's not one ER, not by a long shot.

If complete fabricated BS, then it's also probably up to every day citizen types to show otherwise as they don't believe the media at this point, and understandably so.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 04-03-20 at 18:12.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast