Thread: Possible to use S&W M&P 15-22 in standard receiver?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Possible to use S&W M&P 15-22 in standard receiver?

I swear I saw something about being able to use S&W M&P 15-22 in other 22 AR's and or conversions utilizing a standard receiver. There was even some adapter to improve fitment and function. However when I google "use S&W M&P 15-22 in standard receiver" I get no relevant results.

Can I get an assist? Thanks.

TED

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    The Boone Packer Better-Mag allows use of M&P magazines in a standard AR reciever. Could this be the product you are thinking of?

https://www.redi-mag.com/product/bet...azine-adaptor/
    Last edited by AndyLate; 04-03-20 at 07:03.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Right to Bear Arms also sells what they call the "Catch22" adapter. It comes in two forms. A little plastic clip if you have a milspec shaped lower and it clips right into the magwell. The other is a little stick on piece of plastic that you apply to the magazine itself. Yes, they work and well. With the Smith mags, you can even get a bolt catch that will work.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    The Boone Packer Better-Mag allows use of M&P magazines in a standard AR reciever. Could this be the product you are thinking of?

https://www.redi-mag.com/product/bet...azine-adaptor/
    I love my Better-Mag adapter, it's proven to be a great purchase.

Feedback Score
    The 15-22 mags are the wonder the world awaited. I have the actual Smith carbine as well, and the damn thing works with about any .22 ammo.
    Who makes a good AR upper to run with these mags?
    Moon
    Last edited by halfmoonclip; 05-01-20 at 15:09.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm guessing that any complete upper based on the Ciener/CMMG platform will work. It's matter of getting an adapter for the lower. The Better-Mag adapter, or the simple little plastic clip-on Catch22 from Right to Bear Arms. I have a mess of 15-22 and Black Dog mags, so I just use the little stick on Catch22 adapters that stick directly to the magazine. I've built two .22s using the CMMG bolt groups and Spike's lowers and the 15-22 mags run like a champ. Over 6000 rounds combined through both guns and the only failures were due to crappy ammo being out of spec or bent or whatever.

***EDIT*** Sorry, one of the .22s is built on a Spike's lower. The other is built on an ATI hybrid polymer lower and the 15-22 mags work fine in both with the Catch22 adapters.
    Last edited by TonyAngel; 05-01-20 at 16:09.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
    I love my Better-Mag adapter, it's proven to be a great purchase.
    That adaptor and the 22lr speed/bulk loaders make shooting 22lrs so much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
    The 15-22 mags are the wonder the world awaited. I have the actual Smith carbine as well, and the damn thing works with about any .22 ammo.
    Who makes a good AR upper to run with these mags?
    Moon
    The damn PSA emails got me then I bought one of their uppers. Once you do some modifications like fill in the charging handle, as mentioned in another recent thread, it runs like a champ. I just have that upper Bon one of the cheap PSA lowers I got when I bought a Clock for Father’s Day last year. It was some insane deal like buy a Glock and get five lowers free.

What I don’t like about the 15–22s is the fact that you can’t get the upper and lower part to make it easier to clean. Plus they feel kind of plasticky and light. And the trigger just never seems quite right.

I find that you really want to use ammo with as much on face you can. So I use the federal auto match, which is fairly high speed and 40 grains. It runs fairly clean also, which does help. To me the delicate uppers need about 500 rounds through them to help them settle down. Charging handle mod is a must.

I’ve got a bunch of 22 reactive steel and a few of these 22 AR’s, and they are a hoot to go out and shoot. While recoil may not be exactly the same, if you’re shooting a gamer gun with adjustable gas, Compensator , and tuned bcg carrier and spring, you can have a pretty good simulation of your full power rifle. Trigger control and transitions for $1 a mag...
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Had a Geissele SSA in my Smith for awhile; it worked just fine...then a centerfire CHPs carbine wanted it...
    Understand about the 'plasticky' business, but the standard Smith works so well (mine is one of the kinda neutered ones without a flash hider) that I can't think of a real reason to get something that requires tinkering or good ammo.
    Yeah, I buy the bulk Feds, better deal than CCI, but I've a bunch of junk left from the panic. It all runs.
    Moon