Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for putting together a riffle bag

Feedback Score

Ideas for putting together a riffle bag

I just got this bag in the mail yesterday, it’s a s34 from ebeerlestock and am going to use it to keep a broken down ar in for the pickup. It’ll be more of a get home bag than anything and to conceal the ar. I was going to put a way to make fire, a med kit and a chest rig that holds 8 mags in it. The chest rig is more of a bandolier. But other than that, what would you suggest. I want to keep it somewhat light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I would add a bottle of lube, a flashlight, and a LifeStraw.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Maybe batteries for said rifle optics/electronics. A map of your area/gps?

Feedback Score
    All good ideas thank you. Map and gps though, phone has gps/map and this area is very easy to navigate. I know where and how to get back a foot from everywhere within reason.

Feedback Score
    Water source, like a life straw and keep a couple of bottles of water in there.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    It all depends on what sort of terrain you're in and how far you may potentially need to go on foot.
    Terrain difficulty + distance = time = amount of 'stuff' and what type of 'stuff' you need to pack.

Define "get home"? Just something to supplement your vehicle (ie, you are NOT planning on having to abandon the truck, just maybe stuck somewhere overnight), or full on "truck is dead, walking home" bag? How far away from "home" are we talking? 10 miles? 50? 100?

Define the use and carriage of the rifle? Do you *have* to keep it in the bag until you get home, or can it be carried openly? If you have to keep it broken down in the bag, what's the point? You won't be able to bring it into action if/when needed anyway.
    If you can carry it openly, then why does it need to go in the pack with your other supplies? Just wasting space, adding needless weight that could be spent on more supplies.
    Same for chest rig.
    And also, why 8 mags? I feel like people can carry whatever amount of ammo they want that suits them, but that seems a bit steep for a "get home" bag not a "combat patrol" bag. Again, this plays into the distance you expect to travel, as well as your expected threat level in your area.
    IMHO, if I am NOT engaging in some sort of combat operations, I am just "passing through" trying to get home... if in a rural area, probably not going to need 8 mags, and if an urban area, probably not going to fare well enough, if alone when attacked, to live long enough to expend all 8 (let alone get a broke-down rifle out of a bag and assembled fast enough for it to matter).
    NOT that I have a problem with you carrying 8 mags mind you, if that's what you think you need, rock on.
    But my "go to war" chest rig/PC has 4 (enough for most random groups of idiots) with a plus-up option to 6 (aka, "oh shit times a'gettin' bad") on me, and if I need more than that (8-12, say some sort of combat patrol option/planned ambush/Wolverines!) than the extras go in a daypack later.

So...it all kind of depends on your situation, than what anyone might randomly suggest.

If you're walking, how much water can you carry?
    Last edited by Jellybean; 04-04-20 at 12:37.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    It all depends on what sort of terrain you're in and how far you may potentially need to go on foot.
    Terrain difficulty + distance = time = amount of 'stuff' and what type of 'stuff' you need to pack.

Define "get home"? Just something to supplement your vehicle (ie, you are NOT planning on having to abandon the truck, just maybe stuck somewhere overnight), or full on "truck is dead, walking home" bag? How far away from "home" are we talking? 10 miles? 50? 100?

Define the use and carriage of the rifle? Do you *have* to keep it in the bag until you get home, or can it be carried openly? If you have to keep it broken down in the bag, what's the point? You won't be able to bring it into action if/when needed anyway.
    If you can carry it openly, then why does it need to go in the pack with your other supplies? Just wasting space, adding needless weight that could be spent on more supplies.
    Same for chest rig.
    And also, why 8 mags? I feel like people can carry whatever amount of ammo they want that suits them, but that seems a bit steep for a "get home" bag not a "combat patrol" bag. Again, this plays into the distance you expect to travel, as well as your expected threat level in your area.
    IMHO, if I am NOT engaging in some sort of combat operations, I am just "passing through" trying to get home... if in a rural area, probably not going to need 8 mags, and if an urban area, probably not going to fare well enough, if alone when attacked, to live long enough to expend all 8 (let alone get a broke-down rifle out of a bag and assembled fast enough for it to matter).
    NOT that I have a problem with you carrying 8 mags mind you, if that's what you think you need, rock on.
    But my "go to war" chest rig/PC has 4 (enough for most random groups of idiots) with a plus-up option to 6 (aka, "oh shit times a'gettin' bad") on me, and if I need more than that (8-12, say some sort of combat patrol option/planned ambush/Wolverines!) than the extras go in a daypack later.

So...it all kind of depends on your situation, than what anyone might randomly suggest.

If you're walking, how much water can you carry?
    I only want to keep the rifle concealed until the point I feel shit is turning south. A lot less worrisome keeping a broken down ar in a bag in the backseat, in a locked pickup when you run into the store or are going about daily life as opposed to leaving said rifle whole and someone might see it or a part of it. Open carry here is not an issue. And if it comes to the point I need to sling the rifle, laws be damned. The concealed is only for transport and to avoid prying eyes.

Eight mags is only because that’s what I found that’s suited the type of mag carrier I wanted. That’s the only option they offered. I’m guessing I could some other stuff into one or two if desired.

The terrain is open rolling hills, 15-20 miles. Could be either in a vehicle or hoofing it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Get all of the weapons training you can, take survival courses and learn how to stalk/kill/butcher a deer. If shit gets really bad, the most knowledgeable and skilled individuals are still fighting through a prolonged death. I would put a can of Copenhagen or two in there and your favorite snacks. This “get home bag” is going to be a novelty for a short while and then it will be collecting dust in your closet. Have fun.

Feedback Score
    I keep things simple. I drive about 45-50 miles between both homes. Urban environment, lots of hotels in between both locales. Small 12L backpack with toiletries, first aid kit, flashlight, spare batteries, change of clothes, water bottle, protein bars, multitool, and 2 spare 17 rd pistol mags, simple basic items. Very discreet, lightweight, very easy to carry if I needed to, for whatever reason, leave my car and walk. A rifle in my area, says active shooter, call police, badness about to occur. Must admit, at times, an AR pistol did accompany me in the vehicle in a sports bag with 3 mags, but opted to leave at home. If a 'situation' were to arise better to be able to move about quickly, quietly, with discretion than to be overburdened with heavier rifle bag.This works for me, in my location; your needs may dictate otherwise. Just a suggestion.
    Last edited by Evel Baldgui; 04-05-20 at 13:42. Reason: typo

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tmanker View Post
    ...This “get home bag” is going to be a novelty for a short while and then it will be collecting dust in your closet. Have fun.
    Probably the most realistic statement yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast