Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experience with Geissele ‘blem’ receiver sets?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Experience with Geissele ‘blem’ receiver sets?

A buddy of mine has a Geissele ‘blem’ receiver set in DDC. Has G LPK and G SSA-E trigger installed. I have not been able to identify any issue. Lower receiver walls appear centered and not thinner on one side vs the other. Mags drop free. It does have the blem marking. Could it just be the color/tone of the finish? Looking at $525 as is, but I am skeptical about a blem receiver set as I don’t want any tolerances, etc out of spec.
    A8B84F58-DF4B-46E8-A010-8DE6160F04C6.jpg
    C20D2928-0FB0-4102-B3E5-B817E3C8271D.jpg
    C3FD0C82-F69F-4C52-B833-E31A31E21123.jpg
    9FD2BEC6-5B5E-4C10-9DA4-34D81F984808.jpg
    A5C8581C-B071-4731-AA9F-65A479493CEC.jpg

Any thoughts, input or [mostly] otherwise advice is appreciated, thanks.
    Last edited by hotrodder636; 04-25-20 at 13:58. Reason: Added summary
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    215 (100%)
    I think that the blems are generally imperfections in the finish or color, not tolerance issues. And many of the imperfections would not be noticed by the average buyer of said parts.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    From a visual (not using any calipers or anything), I cannot see anything.

Good price?

Quote Originally Posted by wigbones View Post
    I think that the blems are generally imperfections in the finish or color, not tolerance issues. And many of the imperfections would not be noticed by the average buyer of said parts.
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Geissele claims their blems are only cosmetic. From my experience, I had a few non-blem parts I bought from Geissele which did not work or had issues. Customer service replaced them. I haven't seen similar issues when I bought new Geissele branded parts from Brownells. I don't know why the difference.

It's dependent on luck of the draw and your personal comfort more than anything else. If you don't feel comfortable with blems and don't think you have the tools and qualifications to determine issues then it's best to go with a new item. I typically try to avoid blems as you really don't know what you're getting and what your vs. company's interpretation of an acceptable blemish is. Besides if you wait for a decent sale you can buy a non-blem item at the same or marginally higher price; plus you get a full warranty and support.

If you're searching for a bottom dollar price then you might be in a different position or better off buying a cheaper brand.
    Last edited by alx01; 04-25-20 at 15:08.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    Good price?
    I, personally can't say that $525 is a good price for a receiver set even with Geissele trigger, especially a blem one. But that's 100% up to you to determine value.

I think Geissele is an all mil-spec receivers (both upper and lower), comparable All new parts:
    Aero lower ($80) + LPK ($30-40) + BCM MK2 Upper ($130) + Geissele SSA (150-180) = about $400

In my opinion BCM MK2 upper makes above a much better deal than Geissele.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by alx01 View Post
    Geissele claims their blems are only cosmetic. From my experience, I had a few non-blem parts I bought from Geissele which did not work or had issues. Customer service replaced them. I haven't seen similar issues when I bought new Geissele branded parts from Brownells. I don't know why the difference.

It's dependent on luck of the draw and your personal comfort more than anything else. If you don't feel comfortable with blems and don't think you have the tools and qualifications to determine issues then it's best to go with a new item. I typically try to avoid blems as you really don't know what you're getting and what your vs. company's interpretation of an acceptable blemish is. Besides if you wait for a decent sale you can buy a non-blem item at the same or marginally higher price; plus you get a full warranty and support.

If you're searching for a bottom dollar price then you might be in a different position or better off buying a cheaper brand.
    That’s kind of where I right now. I am not looking for poverty pony stuff. I was actually looking to put a full G-gun together and came across this lower set. I will likely just wait for a sale and get non-blem warrantied items. Thanks, sometimes one just needs to ping ideas off of like minded individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by alx01 View Post
    I, personally can't say that $525 is a good price for a receiver set even with Geissele trigger, especially a blem one. But that's 100% up to you to determine value.

I think Geissele is an all mil-spec receivers (both upper and lower), comparable All new parts:
    Aero lower ($80) + LPK ($30-40) + BCM MK2 Upper ($130) + Geissele SSA (150-180) = about $400

In my opinion BCM MK2 upper makes above a much better deal than Geissele.
    I put the prices together on other brands parts. I was looking to make this a G-upper/lower/rail build. I know I can build a cheaper setup, but that was not my intent. Thank you for your insight.
    Last edited by hotrodder636; 04-25-20 at 15:37.
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Those pics are kind of small for my old eyes. Probably just color or finish didn't meet some spec. I bought a Noveske Chainsaw stripped upper once. For the life of me, I couldn't find anything wrong with it. Maybe under certain lighting conditions the color was off? If it was, I couldn't see it. Wouldn't surprise me if it was something like that.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Sorry about the small pics. I don’t have a photo hosting thing and not interested in messing with one.

If the price were about 100 less, I would jump on it. Not really that great of a deal for a blem.

Quote Originally Posted by 556BlackRifle View Post
    Those pics are kind of small for my old eyes. Probably just color or finish didn't meet some spec. I bought a Noveske Chainsaw stripped upper once. For the life of me, I couldn't find anything wrong with it. Maybe under certain lighting conditions the color was off? If it was, I couldn't see it. Wouldn't surprise me if it was something like that.
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Honestly I dont think its that great of a deal as mentioned. Last Thanksgiving I purchased a Geissele DDC Super Duty Receiver set as well as a Black. The DDC was $168. Geissele standard LPKs were $35 and triggers were averaging if I recall $150-$175. During that time period or epic debacle there was a tremendous amount of issues with shipping product and quality. I can tell you that I was pretty disappointed with the upper to lower fit and while "Mil-Spec" I expected more from the BIG G. I got caught wanting the damn logo and in the end could have bought better for the same or less money.

Most holidays Geissele offers between 25-30% off sales so I would base your pricing around that. If you want to pay $525 I would be more than happy to sell you mine. That might be a clue.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Thanks for the reply on the price. I knew the triggers went on big sales everywhere, didn’t know the other stuff did too as I have never looked. I am in no hurry on this build, so I can wait for the sale pricing. This will be my 12.5” build, like is being discussed in the 12.5” GP build thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by crossgun View Post
    Honestly I dont think its that great of a deal as mentioned. Last Thanksgiving I purchased a Geissele DDC Super Duty Receiver set as well as a Black. The DDC was $168. Geissele standard LPKs were $35 and triggers were averaging if I recall $150-$175. During that time period or epic debacle there was a tremendous amount of issues with shipping product and quality. I can tell you that I was pretty disappointed with the upper to lower fit and while "Mil-Spec" I expected more from the BIG G. I got caught wanting the damn logo and in the end could have bought better for the same or less money.

Most holidays Geissele offers between 25-30% off sales so I would base your pricing around that. If you want to pay $525 I would be more than happy to sell you mine. That might be a clue.
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast