Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BCM - Manufacturer or Assembler

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by creedal View Post
    Basically they say they design and produce a great many things and yet they will not divulge the provenance of every single piece in the gun, regarding that as a trade secret.

Here is something to think about. The internet has moved things out of the scope of generic information, and into the realm of highly detailed info. That information may seem like a legitimate source of intel, but the problem is that it is not. At least not in the context we are talking about here.

You commented that over the past few years you have seen threads commenting about BCM being an assembler. Over the years, that is not a totally ignorant comment to have been made. It is my understanding that BCM started by specing out the components needed for their AR15 platform, and using the vendors which would be able to produce the items to the specs which they listed.

HOWEVER, at a certain point, BCM began to take the manufacturing from outside sources, and with the CNC machines BCM purchased, took those operations in house. Where we get into question, and why many MFGs don't want to lock things down, is if they are able to keep supply lines open with other MFGs. For example, lets say for sake of argument that BCM produced all its own BCGs, and is able to supply a portion of the aftermarket crowd. If all of a sudden, there is a supply issue with the appropriate steels, a virus which cripples transportation, or something similar, BCM may not be able to manufacture everything needed, and may trade or purchase items from another vendor who is able to meet their criteria. If that happens, its possible that a customer gets a Colt bolt instead of a BCM bolt. This would make BCM liable for not carrying through with the information they supply their customers (even though it changed nothing).

I have a friend who makes barrels, or at times has barrels made to his specs. Do I care which barrel I get from him? No, because the end result is the same. However, if he stated he made all his own barrels in house, he would be lying. If he said he only used (fill in the blank), he would again be lying. So he protects his information and produced high quality barrels without worry.

BCM DOES manufacturer a large portion of their items in house, but it certainly is not everything, nor would it make sense if they did.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    They design a lot of the stuff and have VLTOR make some of it like spikes has seekins make their rails. Noveske has SMOS receivers. Triarc has stuff made for them. I think it comes down to who designed it being more important. Not everyone has the machinery for this stuff. Faxon was making slides for other people before their own. LaRue makes most stuff in house.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    It might be close, but not equivalent. You lack the proprietary technical and test data used in component selection and combination, the stuff that separates pros from others. Also, "experienced DIY builder" more often than not...isn't...for purposes of this discussion. (See also: "experienced DIY reloader")
    Plus the tools to properly measure and gauge every component like Bcm does will cost you many times more than the average rifle.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    It might be close, but not equivalent. You lack the proprietary technical and test data used in component selection and combination, the stuff that separates pros from others. Also, "experienced DIY builder" more often than not...isn't...for purposes of this discussion. (See also: "experienced DIY reloader")
    Essentially agree. Quality control is what I don't mind paying extra for BCM.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    If you make shit AR parts “in house”

Does it matter?

If you outsource AR parts from known quality suppliers and have a system to gauge said quality.

Does it matter?

I can think of a company who makes almost 100% of it in house and they make a fine AR
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Personally, I think they are continuing to increase their in house production capabilities.

You don't need this much room for shipping and assembling:

Attachment 61510
    There is a larger machine and tool in New Berlin, WI that handles certain things for BCM, Midwest Industries and ADM (American Defense Manufacturing) as far as I understand it. I'm not up on how it all works, I but this was information given to me by an ADM rep at a LGS with personal relationships with BCM and ADM. I have a feeling that if you call them, they'll talk to you about it.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    There is a larger machine and tool in New Berlin, WI that handles certain things for BCM, Midwest Industries and ADM (American Defense Manufacturing) as far as I understand it. I'm not up on how it all works, I but this was information given to me by an ADM rep at a LGS with personal relationships with BCM and ADM. I have a feeling that if you call them, they'll talk to you about it.
    WS Machine & Tool?
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    WS Machine & Tool?
    I don't know. I would talk to BCM
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Paul and team make good stuff. My two favorite AR's are both BCM. One of my best friends will hopefully be graduating soon from a local police academy.

His graduation present? A BCM carbine and a set of Danner boots.

That's what I think of BCM. I trust my life and the lives of my best friends to their gear.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Good posts in this thread...I really am itching for another BCM upper, probably go with the new design that came out..even though most of mine are the plain jane mid length

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast