Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7.62 AR guidance requested.....

Feedback Score

7.62 AR guidance requested.....

Thinking about taking a single solo flight into .308/7.62 NATO AR territory once again. Probably 15+ years ago I had an Armalite AR-10 "Infantry Rifle" that was a shit sandwich function-wise. Long story short I swore off of .308 AR platforms after that.

I'm pondering one with a 20" (no less than 18") chrome lined barrel. Would prefer to buy a factory gun but could piece it out I guess.

Any recommendations? I'd rather not drop $4-5K on one like a Knight's, although I consider that to be the uber 7.62 AR. Maybe the cost of a good M14 clone, like an LRB or Smith Ent.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I prefer to build my own but for what you're looking for and not super pricey, I don't think you can go wrong with an LMT MWS.

IF I were to build another one myself, I would probably do an Aero Precision M5 and have Clint from BRT work his magic with the gas tube.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Look into the Larue ultimate upper kits

Feedback Score
    Used MWS’s are not uncommon under $2k.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    There are 5 ar-10s that I would recommend and unless you can find them used, most will be $2,000+

1. Citizen Arms - Steve can build you anything you want to your accuracy specifications. All of his guns are reliable.
    2. V seven weapon systems - Joel makes one of the lightest and reliable 308s on the market and makes some of the best materials and barrels in the market right now.
    3. KAC - Jack and his boys have really rung that platform out and its as turn key as you can get, but you pay for it.
    4. LMT MWS - Heavy but works.
    5. SOLGW - over gassed for reliability but they run hard with good accuracy.

Feedback Score
    I decided to go with the Daniel Defense DD5V4 18". Cost me $2374 shipped. Any opinions?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    I had to shy away from factory guns because they all cost $2,500 or better. Some much more. Can't recommend any, with no experience with any.

Ended up piecing one together (DPMS pattern) on an Aero receiver set. That said, and I didn't keep track because it took me like a year to get the parts, but it's likely I got around two grand (or more) in the damn thing anyways... lol. However, this includes all the parts I want except for a $2K scope. No rifle builder makes one that has everything I like, and I was likely gonna swap out at least some parts anyhow, so it made sense for me to build.

Building one can be done. It's frustrating doing the research at times figuring out what parts will work well with others, but also rewarding when they do. I'm very happy with how it turned out. Shoots very well, not too heavy, not too long. (I did a short patrol carbine) I've only been out with it a few times as of yet, but it's been 100% reliable in those times so far... If you don't find a factory gun you like, don't be too worried to give building a shot. There's help to be had here. I got some advice here when I did mine.

Here's what I ended up with...

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...perfect-308-AR

Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 04-18-20 at 09:51.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Daddy,

What did you use when attaching the barrel to the upper receiver? A particular brand “reaction rod”?
    Since I have not gotten any bites on the parts I have up in the EE, I’m about to start assembling. Or, I suppose sending to Steve at Citizen Arms is a good idea, but would add $2-300 on what is essentially a budget 308 with nice parts.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    There were a couple really good threads a few years ago on here about putting an AR10 together. Parts that mix and don’t mix, etc. I will see if I can find them.
    Ultimately if you are patient, you can put together a very nice AR10 for much less than you can find an equivalent factory name for.
    FA7671A7-7349-4BB4-8294-949E89E80A52.jpg
    This is an Aero receiver set, G SSA-E, Ranier Arms Ultramatch, Aero BCG for less than 1500.
    Last edited by hotrodder636; 04-19-20 at 09:43.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Daddy,

What did you use when attaching the barrel to the upper receiver? A particular brand “reaction rod”?
    When i built my 6.5 creed AR10 I put the receiver in between 2 blocks of wood in my vice. I had a buddy with a strap wrench hold the barrel from turning. Then I went to work on the barrel nut.

I couldnt see myself buying a $200 tool for one barrel. I own the reaction rod for 5.56 guns, but like I said, couldnt see buying it for 1 gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast