Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steiner P4xI/Vortex Viper pst 1-6 - defensive grade?

Feedback Score

Steiner P4xI/Vortex Viper pst 1-6 - defensive grade?

Hey, new to the forum here. As a civilian, I’m interested in either of these optics for a SHTF, heavy duty/do-all rifle (BCM recce 16 is the rifle it’s going on). I’m gonna get a larue mount for it. Are these two optics up to par for a optic I can trust my life to? Thank you in advance.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ive owned the Steiner now a long time. Well reviewed, EXCELLENT optic. Its just superb. USA made to boot, no China bullshit. Those days are over for me.
    I know nothing of the Vortex, but youll be happy with the Steiner I guarantee.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Here’s how I feel about the P4Xi:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ney&highlight=
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    I have not used it personally, but I would guess that the Steiner P4xi is possibly the best budget friendly practical LPVO you can buy.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    They should be, but the price on the Steiner has been creeping up over the years to you should likely look for a Vortex Razor II 1-6 as well.

I have the PST 1-6x, currently on a SCAR 17 and it's doing fine - so I imagine it would hold up quite well to 'SHTF', however you define that. Eventually it'll likely get replaced by a Vortex III 1-10x on that rifle, but that'll be awhile.

Personally my 3 x duty grade rifles have an Aimpoint T2 (SBR), Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x24/RMR (semi-precision rifle), and Nightforce NX-8 (do all rifle). So you can take that for what it's worth.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)

Steiner P4xI/Vortex Viper pst 1-6 - defensive grade?

OP, I’ve had a P4xi on my a BCM Recce 14 for 3 years and I think it is outstanding. It’s not the best at one thing anything, but it balances weight, cost, capability and durability really well.

Personally, I really like the reticle. The single illuminated dot is simple and it has a generous eye box. It’s easy to use without the illumination as well. I ran this set up in a Shrek McPhee class last year and I am just as quick with it at 1x as I am with my aimpoint, although I do a fare amount of practice with it (dry fire and range).

For reference my 2 other guns have a Aimpoint H2 (SBR) and my NF NX8 1-8 (GP DMR). I have previously owned a Razor 1-6, but don’t have any experience with the Viper 1-6. While the Razor has some fantastic glass, the optic’s weight threw the balance of the rifle off for me. I run the P4xi in Geissele 2.04 mount on my Recce 14 and the balance is just right.

I don’t think you’d go wrong with either, but from my experience I’d recommend the P4xi 100%.
    Last edited by Korgs130; 04-04-20 at 14:17.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Here’s how I feel about the P4Xi:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ney&highlight=
    Great write up BTW.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Well reviewed, EXCELLENT optic. Its just superb. USA made to boot, no China bullshit. Those days are over for me.
    This is where I stand on the subject.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Ive owned the Steiner now a long time. Well reviewed, EXCELLENT optic. Its just superb. USA made to boot, no China bullshit. Those days are over for me.
    I know nothing of the Vortex, but youll be happy with the Steiner I guarantee.
    Could I ask how hard you ran this optic? Just looking to see whether it would hold up to harsh conditions that I intend to put it through.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballo View Post
    Could I ask how hard you ran this optic? Just looking to see whether it would hold up to harsh conditions that I intend to put it through.
    Many thousands of rounds. If I recall correctly- it is meant to be sighted in at 200 yards, then the hash marks line up out to 400. But, Ive got mine sighted in dead on at 50, and shot 200 dead on, and can hold a tad high for 300.
    About the only complaint Ive heard/read is with "mushy" click adjustments, but mine are fine, but this aint a long range scope, Ive got mine dialed in, and unless I change ammo, wont be adjusting any further.
    Its been bumped around & jarred some, but Im no recon ranger or anything, but itll take whatever I dish out. I love the thing, and am blessed to have bought it when they were CHEAP for what they are-got mine from DSG with a USA American Defense QD mount for well under$500.
    They seem to have increased dramatically late last year, Ive seen the scope alone at a couple place for $900! And several have it at $800.
    Is it worth that? YOU gotta get behind one and decide.
    But, as for me & MY house- WE AINT BUYING NO MORE FVCKIN CHINA OPTICS_EVER.
    UPDATE: I gave $589 for scope/mount back in March of 2017...scope itself was about $469, fyi.
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 04-05-20 at 10:20.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast