Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Over built

Feedback Score

Over built

Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    That's very debatable. I usually clean every 500 rounds or so. I don't go crazy with it
    Cool, I think I’ll hit it with a touch of CLP and run a few patches through, mostly to protect the barrel. I doubt I’ll hit 1,000 rounds a year so pitting will be more of an issue than throat erosion.

One last question, I read somewhere (can’t remember where) Noveske states their stainless barrels are 1/7 twist but in reality they are 1/7.7. Has anyone else ever heard this as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tanktop View Post
    Cool, I think I’ll hit it with a touch of CLP and run a few patches through, mostly to protect the barrel. I doubt I’ll hit 1,000 rounds a year so pitting will be more of an issue than throat erosion.

One last question, I read somewhere (can’t remember where) Noveske states their stainless barrels are 1/7 twist but in reality they are 1/7.7. Has anyone else ever heard this as well?

I’ve not measured the twist, but my Afghan barrels have stabilized every bullet that exists in factory loads. Mine were made a while back, so not sure if it changed.

Edit: never tried subsonic ammo.
    Last edited by 1168; 04-24-20 at 18:30.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    What extra steps did the gunsmith do that you couldn't have done?

Feedback Score

Over built

Quote Originally Posted by Merle View Post
    What extra steps did the gunsmith do that you couldn't have done?
    Honestly nothing, I was hoping for better but I think I need to go over it after shooting it. The rail rotated a little, who knows what else I’ll find. Hopefully that’s it but who knows what I’ll find. I guess I shouldn’t trust someone else to do what I can do myself, note to self.

Last edited by tanktop; 04-05-20 at 21:52.

Feedback Score
    Honestly nothing, I was hoping for better but I think I need to go over it after shooting it. The rail rotated a little, who knows what else I’ll find. Hopefully that’s it but who knows what I’ll find. I guess I shouldn’t trust someone else to do what I can do myself, note to self.

Doesn’t the SMOS upper receiver and rail have the anti rotation pin above the gas tube (like Noveske branded stuff)? It shouldn’t be able to rotate at all.

Feedback Score
    beauty!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aetius View Post
    Doesn’t the SMOS upper receiver and rail have the anti rotation pin above the gas tube (like Noveske branded stuff)? It shouldn’t be able to rotate at all.
    I have a similar SMOS/Noveske build except with a lightweight 14.5" barrel. As mentioned the rail should not rotate beyond the small amount of clearance between the anti-rotation pin and rail/receiver. But even more so because it has six screws directly into threaded holes of the barrel nut. I wonder if those screws backed out?

Feedback Score
    Nice looking build, I have 18in Noveske barrel and it’s crazy accurate.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    That's very debatable. I usually clean every 500 rounds or so. I don't go crazy with it
    OP, This is sound advice. I have gone much longer than this without any issues, but I usually end up cleaning more out of boredom than an "Oh I need to clean my guns." kinda thing.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12