Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having a heck of a time with these newer mood, and keymod systems.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Having a heck of a time with these newer mood, and keymod systems.

Fella's I'm having a very difficult time attaching kit, via the new Mloc, and Keymod systems. Are their special tools available to work with. I'm getting older, 63, so my eyes are just now starting to get worse, hence seeing, turning the nuts aft of the rail is troublesome and well I'm just getting beat down.

I find it depressing, I finished up a BCM upper today, was attaching a thumb rest , I think it's referred to as a " gas pedal" after reading about thumb mechanics, and just how much thumb minipulation contributes to good shooting, I've gone this route.

An associate, Bill Buppert turned me onto one, a gift. Liked it so much I order twenty from China. Anyway, took me a hour to plumb a two hole pictinny to the key mod rail. Gotta be an easier way.

Can some of you old salts offer up solutions please. Gotta be an simpler method.

Thank,you in advance.

Dirk

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    The systems are different, which are you talking about? If its MLOK, it tends to be really easy or a pita depending on whether the nuts bite the rail. If you loosen them too far, they'll just spin on the other side so you either have to pull the attachment out and tighten them a bit, or stick a punch or something else through the rail to prevent the nut from spinning while you turn the screw.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Mlok can be a little tricky your first time. If there is thread lock on the threads (which there should be) work the nut and screw a little so the nut turns easier when you’re ready to lock it down. You’ll want to preset the gap between the accessory face and nut so when you place the accessory on the rail the nut has just enough to clearance that very slight up pressure while tightening it will grab really easy instead of spinning.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jj9n0rUYzKQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I never bought any keymod, but have three M-Lok rails and found that for me the tool was a small pair of needle nose pliers to start the rotation before installing on the host, as stated above. My first foray was a Magpul hand guard and I played with the system before ever installing on the rifle to see how it worked. That helped me alot.

FWIW the personally owned rifle I carry every day for work still has a pic rail, and I see no reason to change it.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
    ..... was attaching a thumb rest......
    ... Anyway, took me a hour to plumb a two hole pictinny to the key mod rail..... Dirk
    I'm missing something here, why are you attaching a pictinny to the key mod rail?
    Then you are attaching a "thumb rest /gas pedal to that?"
    It it because the "thumb rest /gas pedal" is not key mod compatible by itself?
    Pictures?
    Seems like there is an extra link in this chain of parts.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    On Mlok (and I assume Keymod will do similar), snug the almost all the way down where it will be against the edges of the female slot on the rail.

Insert the accessory in to the rail, then while keeping pressure on the rail and the screw, turn the screw counterclockwise until you feel the nut clear the inner edge of the mlok slot.

When you feel that happen, turn the screw counter clockwise until snug.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Good morning, thank you for the reply. I just finished two builds, both BCM uppers, one Aero lower, one VLTOR, both kicked my butt. I've got a desk top shelves parts drawer setup maybe 75/100 individual drawers with m4 parts. Not a lot, but I'm able to mix match most of the time.

I had to spend even more money and purchase special nuts bolts, naturally I purchased enough extra's to have plenty in the future. I dumped em all together, now I THINK I discovered that all will work with mods, but it's best to use BCMs unites on their uppers. Sorry to sound this way, but it's just another money grab, away to put it to the consumer once again.

My solution is to move away from companies who are nicking us for nickels and dimes. The buck stops here, I'm just getting back into building m4s, was unaware of these NEW mloc/keymod set ups, until after the last two uppers arrived. I'll figure it out.

I'll likely stick with the pictinny systems, these I know, their simple, and I have drawers full of parts designed for their use.

Thank you.
    DW

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I agree, I spent many years with pic duty weapons, my simple solution is stay with what I know. I think it's the principal which pisses me off. New is fine, but the price of a few m- nuts and bolts is just dicking the consumer. I finished the project, it just took a lot more time to,complete, trying to,figure our a fricking nut and bolt, thru a standard sized hole. All the nuts and bolts simply don't work.

Truthfully my eyes and other age issues create a lot of the issues.

Thank,you gents, appriciate the return answers.

DW

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes, the gas pedal is pictinny specific.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    On Mlok (and I assume Keymod will do similar), snug the almost all the way down where it will be against the edges of the female slot on the rail.

Insert the accessory in to the rail, then while keeping pressure on the rail and the screw, turn the screw counterclockwise until you feel the nut clear the inner edge of the mlok slot.

When you feel that happen, turn the screw counter clockwise until snug.
    Thank,you, wanted to touch base with you, I felt I got crossed up with you here on M4,a few months ago my apologies, after spending a lot of time following your posts, I see clearly your a straight shooter, a very decent man.

Thank you,for reaching out. I was a heavy builder of m4s, back in the mid 90s, got into my love of long range stuff, and kinda dropped the love of my m4 rifles. I'm back and building again. I'm amazed at just how much things have changed. And likely for the better.

Again thanks for reaching out, it means a lot to me.

Dirk Williams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast