Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PSA BCG, quality or nah?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

PSA BCG, quality or nah?

Are any of the psa brand BCG worth it over another name brand for the price?

the one they im reading on is listed as a M16 PROFILE CARPENTER 158 MAG PHOSPHATED 5.56 NATO MPI FULL-AUTO BOLT CARRIER GROUP

For AR-15 and M16 rifles and carbines. Made by one of the large popular OEM BCG makers who is also a military supplier. These BCGs are available due to a large OEM order being canceled. We purchased them all and are making them available to you at an incredible price. Their loss is your gain!

These feature a Carpenter 158 Bolt, and a full profile chrome lined carrier. Bolt is made of shot-peened, Mil-spec Carpenter 158® steel. Gas key is secured with grade 8 fasteners and staked. The bolt carrier is parkerized outside and chrome lined inside.

So who makes it if its a "large popular" maker?

Feedback Score
    Say no to PSA.

Beyond the specs, it's the QC.

I am fairly certain on WHO makes their bcgs, but it doesn't much matter. One shop can make the same product to different specs for different contracts.

Feedback Score
    good to know, what would be the baseline for quality bcg? Spikes, BCM, AERO, SOLGW?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Sob View Post
    good to know, what would be the baseline for quality bcg? Spikes, BCM, AERO, SOLGW?

I use and have used Toolcraft BCGs as “placeholders” in guns and might buy them to have on hand as emergency replacement parts, but in general my BCG picks for long term use would be...in no particular order: Colt, BCM, SOLGW and Sionics. There’s a couple other brands like LMT and KAC that I would also happily use but have no personal experience with. I think Centurion Arms BCGs are supposed to be good too. Primary Arms runs periodic sales on SOLGW BCGs, but aside from that, Sionics are currently consistently the cheapest of the brands I’ve personally used IIRC.

Feedback Score
    thanks for the info, ive saw alot about toolcraft seems alot of ppl like those

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I would hazard a guess that as far as civilian sales volume PSA blows the above recommended companies out of the water. There aren't a lot of documented failures like I would expect if their BCG's were crap,is their QA as good as some of the others no, is that increased QA worth a price literally twice PSA's, IMO no. Any company can release bad product by mistake, I can recall about ten or so years ago a bad batch of Colt bolts got out to the military that were breaking after 2-3000 rounds, shit happens. FWIW Toolcraft makes carriers no bolts, I suspect PSA gets a lot of their product from them the question is where do the bolts come from.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 04-05-20 at 09:06.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Merry Christmas 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post
    Say no to PSA.

Beyond the specs, it's the QC.

I am fairly certain on WHO makes their bcgs, but it doesn't much matter. One shop can make the same product to different specs for different contracts.
    So are you saying PSA ask for specs that are not up to spec? If you know WHO makes the PSA bcg on sale, why can't you say, or why won't you say.
    I think any BCG can have a QC slip up. But the more a company sells the more chance of a QC misshap. It's math.
    There is truth to you get what you pay for. Sometimes you don't get what you paid for, even when over paying for a high end logo, on the same BCG.
    Any platform that needs to be reliable needs to be tested & maintained, low$$ or high$$.
    Longevity / high round count is another story, quality usually shines there.
    Last edited by JoeBobJoe; 12-21-21 at 01:12. Reason: sometimes we all make mistakes.
    God, Family, Freedom.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBobJoe View Post
    So are you saying PSA ask for specs that are not up to spec? If you know WHO makes the PSA bcg on sale, why can't you say, or why won't you say.
    I think any BCG can have a QC slip up. But the more a company sells the more chance of a QC misshap...
    Pretty sure that PSA has lower standards as for what they would accept vs a more reputable company buying from the same carrier manufacturer.

Meaning PSA may accept a carrier made by 'company A' that was a little blemished or wonky where the other company selling carriers made by 'company A' would reject the same stuff and send it back.

So if you are company A and making those carriers and a batch comes out a little 'off' you know that instead of scrapping them or trying to send them to a company that you know would reject them - You set them to the side to go to PSA at a discount.

If you really want to see some good examples of 'problem stuff' they send out the door head over to ar15.com and go the PSA forum in their Industry Section. Spend a few minutes each day (for about a week or two) checking that PSA section and reading the 'problem' threads. A lot of times people there will share pictures of the junk they have received in those threads and while their customer service is on the ball and those 'problems' are usually quickly resolved (parts or firearms replaced) after a while you just start to wonder how in the hell some of that stuff makes it out the door in the first place.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Pretty sure that PSA has lower standards as for what they would accept vs a more reputable company buying from the same carrier manufacturer.

Meaning PSA may accept a carrier made by 'company A' that was a little blemished or wonky where the other company selling carriers made by 'company A' would reject the same stuff and send it back.

So if you are company A and making those carriers and a batch comes out a little 'off' you know that instead of scrapping them or trying to send them to a company that you know would reject them - You set them to the side to go to PSA at a discount.

If you really want to see some good examples of 'problem stuff' they send out the door head over to ar15.com and go the PSA forum in their Industry Section. Spend a few minutes each day (for about a week or two) checking that PSA section and reading the 'problem' threads. A lot of times people there will share pictures of the junk they have received in those threads and while their customer service is on the ball and those 'problems' are usually quickly resolved (parts or firearms replaced) after a while you just start to wonder how in the hell some of that stuff makes it out the door in the first place.
    Nothing says confidence like using a speculative word at the start of every paragraph.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWcityguy2 View Post
    Nothing says confidence like using a speculative word at the start of every paragraph.
    He may have been speculating as to how PSA gets stuff done, but there is no speculation as to the results. Not everything PSA releases is crap, but there is no doubt that they produce an inordinate amount of it. Could you buy PSA and have no problems for 10k rounds? Absolutely. But your chances of buying poorly specced and poorly assembled parts and receivers are much higher than with almost any other manufacturer except maybe Century Arms.

You get what you pay for, don't kid yourself.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast