Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: PSA BCG, quality or nah?

Feedback Score

PSA BCG, quality or nah?

Are any of the psa brand BCG worth it over another name brand for the price?

the one they im reading on is listed as a M16 PROFILE CARPENTER 158 MAG PHOSPHATED 5.56 NATO MPI FULL-AUTO BOLT CARRIER GROUP

For AR-15 and M16 rifles and carbines. Made by one of the large popular OEM BCG makers who is also a military supplier. These BCGs are available due to a large OEM order being canceled. We purchased them all and are making them available to you at an incredible price. Their loss is your gain!

These feature a Carpenter 158 Bolt, and a full profile chrome lined carrier. Bolt is made of shot-peened, Mil-spec Carpenter 158® steel. Gas key is secured with grade 8 fasteners and staked. The bolt carrier is parkerized outside and chrome lined inside.

So who makes it if its a "large popular" maker?

Feedback Score
    Say no to PSA.

Beyond the specs, it's the QC.

I am fairly certain on WHO makes their bcgs, but it doesn't much matter. One shop can make the same product to different specs for different contracts.

Feedback Score
    good to know, what would be the baseline for quality bcg? Spikes, BCM, AERO, SOLGW?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Sob View Post
    good to know, what would be the baseline for quality bcg? Spikes, BCM, AERO, SOLGW?

I use and have used Toolcraft BCGs as “placeholders” in guns and might buy them to have on hand as emergency replacement parts, but in general my BCG picks for long term use would be...in no particular order: Colt, BCM, SOLGW and Sionics. There’s a couple other brands like LMT and KAC that I would also happily use but have no personal experience with. I think Centurion Arms BCGs are supposed to be good too. Primary Arms runs periodic sales on SOLGW BCGs, but aside from that, Sionics are currently consistently the cheapest of the brands I’ve personally used IIRC.

Feedback Score
    thanks for the info, ive saw alot about toolcraft seems alot of ppl like those

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I would hazard a guess that as far as civilian sales volume PSA blows the above recommended companies out of the water. There aren't a lot of documented failures like I would expect if their BCG's were crap,is their QA as good as some of the others no, is that increased QA worth a price literally twice PSA's, IMO no. Any company can release bad product by mistake, I can recall about ten or so years ago a bad batch of Colt bolts got out to the military that were breaking after 2-3000 rounds, shit happens. FWIW Toolcraft makes carriers no bolts, I suspect PSA gets a lot of their product from them the question is where do the bolts come from.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 04-05-20 at 09:06.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    Yeah I thought i read somewhere or maybe even some of theirs actually say they are toolcraft but im not certain. I do have the above mentioned bcg in of of my build so i guess time will tell how it holds up.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    I would hazard a guess that as far as civilian sales volume PSA blows the above recommended companies out of the water. There aren't a lot of documented failures like I would expect if their BCG's were crap,is their QA as good as some of the others no, is that increased QA worth a price literally twice PSA's, IMO no. Any company can release bad product by mistake, I can recall about ten or so years ago a bad batch of Colt bolts got out to the military that were breaking after 2-3000 rounds, shit happens. FWIW Toolcraft makes carriers no bolts, I suspect PSA gets a lot of their product from them the question is where do the bolts come from.
    There are enough documented instances of QA/QC issues that I personally stay away from them at this point. I've had two PSA "premium" BCG's that matched milspec call outs for material, QA testing, and finish. One functioned perfectly fine for many thousands of rounds until it was replaced with a Sionics NP3 bolt. The second needed a carrier replaced after maybe 800 rounds because the finish under the chrome lining was eating gas rings. Whoever was manufacturing PSA's carriers at the time I purchased mine did a crap job deburring the material prior to chrome lining, and after that there was no going back. One of my close friends had the same experience in one of his M4s using a PSA BCG about a year after I bought mine that was having issues.

Lately I've had the same issue with an AO Precision BCG that ate through 2/3 gas rings in the course of about 1,200 rds. That carrier was replaced by one from SOLGW and AOP has not returned any of my emails.
    In heavenly love abiding, no change my heart shall fear;
    and safe is such confiding, for nothing changes here:
    the storm may roar without me, my heart may low be laid;
    but God is round about me, and can I be dismayed?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas24 View Post
    There are enough documented instances of QA/QC issues that I personally stay away from them at this point. I've had two PSA "premium" BCG's that matched milspec call outs for material, QA testing, and finish. One functioned perfectly fine for many thousands of rounds until it was replaced with a Sionics NP3 bolt. The second needed a carrier replaced after maybe 800 rounds because the finish under the chrome lining was eating gas rings. Whoever was manufacturing PSA's carriers at the time I purchased mine did a crap job deburring the material prior to chrome lining, and after that there was no going back. One of my close friends had the same experience in one of his M4s using a PSA BCG about a year after I bought mine that was having issues.

Lately I've had the same issue with an AO Precision BCG that ate through 2/3 gas rings in the course of about 1,200 rds. That carrier was replaced by one from SOLGW and AOP has not returned any of my emails.
    I had a PSA Premium BCG that ate gas rings. It lasted maybe 400 rounds between ring replacements, so an owner who shot 2-3 boxes of ammo a couple times a year may not have seen a problem. PSA replaced it without issue, and I sold the replacement.

Andy

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Hell no. You can buy a quality BCG from Centurion Arms for $125.

https://www.centurionarms.com/bolt-c...p-p/bcg-c4.htm

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast