Thread: Cleaning & Senior Moments

Feedback Score

Cleaning & Senior Moments

So having time to organize the Reloading room.

I'm discovering stuff i pushed to the back or stuffed in a cabinet.

Such as 500 rounds of 40 s&w , every time I looked at that box I thought it was unopened box of extreme 180 grain bullets.
    Opened up a unmarked bulk box turned out to be Hornady 62 gr. boat tail (500) count.
    Some ammo cans with sized and trimmed .233 brass,(When did i do that?)

Top shelf just out of sight,
    Sleeve of large pistol primers (5000 count)"When did I buy those?"

Any one else finding stuff? That you can't remember when you purchased?

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Wait till you clean out the kitchen pantry!

And yes, I found a box with 25 Surefeed 30-round AR mags yesterday. Plus an 8-pound keg of Bulleye powder (where in the hell did this come from??) Certainly not displeased with that discovery, but I have no idea when I bought it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I wish. Usually it's like... "Damn! We're almost out of 77 gr OTMs. Where did they all go?"
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Sitting on my bench, waiting to be loaded, with my forgettened prepped brass......

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I wish. Usually it's like... "Damn! We're almost out of ____. Where did they all go?"

Yeah, this is me.

I actually have an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of ammo, and another to keep track of reloading components.

I've been doing a lot of reloading the last several weeks and my "inventorying" isn't keeping up with how quickly I'm using up components...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Maybe not finding things I didn't know I had so much as using this an opportunity to use up odds and ends of stuff. Over the past few years I have been involved with the liquidation of several shooters estates. I've accumulated huge stocks of odd stuff- odd to me anyway- not normally components I use etc...I'm now in the mode of searching out loads for some odd powders etc....to burn them all up and trim my inventory of odd lots.

My first project was some AA # 5 and some 124 grain 9mm lead bullets. I loaded about a pound an a half of that. Then I loaded almost three pounds of Unique in.45 auto and .44 Special loads- the containers were the old cardboard Orange and Red...bullets were a hodge podge of cast, plated, jacketed...Plinking ammo...

The most interesting was about 4 pounds of Winchester 630. Ended up using that up on some .44 Magnum loads. Thankfully I had a large stock of .44 cast to load it all.

I've really been able to clean out my powder locker these last few weeks and get down to the stuff I would normally use. I can't complain though, most of the powder and odd lot primers, bullets and brass were either given to me or bought for a few cents on the dollar. Plenty of cheap shooting ammo....
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quarantine cleaning, I just found 1000 230 grain FMJ slugs in a cardboard box. They are pulls I vaguely remember getting dirt cheap online. I forgot all about them.

I also discovered 100 rounds of Sig 180 grain 10mm ammo. I do not remember getting it because I load all my own 10mm.

Also a plastic bag of 2000 Prvi Partizan M193 pills. I have no memory of them whatsoever.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    Maybe not finding things I didn't know I had so much as using this an opportunity to use up odds and ends of stuff...

I can't complain though, most of the powder and odd lot primers, bullets and brass were either given to me or bought for a few cents on the dollar...
    Amen. I'm using up old stuff that I bought decades ago... That 8lbs drum of Unique from the 1990s!

Also, the second-hand store which handles my FFL transfers sometimes has oddball reloading components for sale (from estate sales), so I've picked up some odd lots at great bargains.

Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    I vaguely remember getting dirt cheap online. I forgot all about them...

I do not remember getting it...

...I have no memory of them whatsoever.
    I'm not that old, but this is why I take notes on everything and then plug into a spreadsheet:

What it is;
    How much of it I have;
    Where/When I got it;
    How much I paid for it.