Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Comfortable using MRO w/ no BUIS on HD gun?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    2 is one and 1 is none.

Feedback Score
    Dot sights that are on a gun that’s serious should have irons. The MRO is reliable and has great battery life but the one I have set up as a HD gun has fixed Troy front sight rear Troy flip and co witness mount. I wouldn’t mind getting a 1/3 mount but to be honest in an across the room engagement you can use the MRO’s field of view to put some rounds on a bad dude.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I’ve been debating this lately. I have a rifle with fixed Troy front and a LMT rear, I just put a Comp M5 on it. I have a set of folding KAC rear and Troy front on my Larue, I just put a 1-8 on it. I’m considering pulling the folding sights and putting it on my RDS rifle. Maybe I should just stop being cheap and buy a new folding rear to replace the LMT.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Comfortable using MRO w/ no BUIS on HD gun?

All depends on what you’re comfortable with man. The only rifle I have that doesn’t have irons on it has both a Razor and an offset Crossfire in a Badger C1 mount. Even if both batteries die, I still have an etched reticle. I used to think they were kind of pointless, but once you pickup the gun a few times and your T2 is dead, it can change your mind. Plus, they’re pretty cheap insurance if society really does ever collapse and you’re out of batteries. There’s not much use to having a gun at that point, but a $100 set of MBUS could’ve changed all that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robisten8 View Post
    If it's 100% home defense, you could've just done a set of irons.
    But that's not what he asked is it?

Why do you say this?

Personally, I've found dead Aimpoint and Eotech batteries enough times to never question the need for quality BUIS.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    My answer is yes.
    If the space and cost of a set of MBUS that are sighted in is onerous, then I'd argue for more paranoia, because the most perilous thing for an HD weapon is me getting it out and ready without smacking it on random crap while inadequately conscious.

On LPVO HD stuff, that answer has been offset irons - not the really optimal solution overall, but for how I find myself practicing on the thing, it's pretty nice to not have to worry about where the zoom ring is located in order to have a quick point-shoot option - it affects light mounting, but I've also found that to work pretty well.

I wound up with awkward mounting to support it fully (all on handguard in one case with offsets, having to run the Rosch Works SL1 on my Mk18), but it works pretty well... and if it's the go-to HD weapon, that's cheap reliability.
    Last edited by TehLlama; 04-08-20 at 14:46.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    +1 for folding off-sets. Keep them in the deployed position and you won't have to worry about a crowded sight picture through your optic when it's working. If it's not, a slight cant to the rifle and you have a solid sighting system ready to go. Best of both worlds.
    Where violence is the local language, be fluent.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would also say not needed. Let’s be realistic. The likelihood of having to shoot someone in your house is pretty low. Having a quality RDS fail at the moment you have to shoot someone in your house is even lower. And I’m also of the opinion that if you’re competent with a rifle, you should be able to make center mass hits at inside distances with no sights at all.

Feedback Score
    For last decade plus mil experience has been in a desert type environment. But who's to say what the next war time environment will be like? Mud won't destroy an optic, you can just wipe it off, but a muddy smudge could render an optic temporarily useless. Even Veterans with 20 years of service and multiple combat tours only get a thin slice compared seeing it all in the scheme of things. Same goes for us in our professions.

If your talking just an MRO and WML, a set of BUIS ain't gonna break the bank, take up too much rail space, or weight your rifle down. Does your car have a spare tire?
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    No rifle I would ever own will ever be without back-up iron sights.
    Ive just got a 20" spr back last week, its got excellent Aero Precision flip downs thatll be sighted in at 50yds, then probably never used again, unless just for fun or just to see if I can hit something with them.
    ALWAYS have irons.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast