Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Comfortable using MRO w/ no BUIS on HD gun?

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    I would also say not needed. Let’s be realistic. The likelihood of having to shoot someone in your house is pretty low. Having a quality RDS fail at the moment you have to shoot someone in your house is even lower. And I’m also of the opinion that if you’re competent with a rifle, you should be able to make center mass hits at inside distances with no sights at all.
    Is it so much the issue of it failing RIGHT at that moment, or the issue of pulling it out of the safe and realizing your battery is dead? Because I've had that happen with Aimpoints and Eotechs, and I regularly change batteries...

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    You’d probably be fine. If it were me however, I’d opt for a set of BUIS. Specifically, I’d compromise with a set magpul MBUS. Less expensive and they’ve proven themselves plenty durable based on several torture tests.

My mind won’t let me not have BUIS. To each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorinInTheWoods View Post
    The MRO is reliable and has great battery life .

When you say great battery life, care to qualify that statement.
    On my MRO, I think it was at setting 2 maybe 3, I am getting about 6 months or so out of the battery.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fedupflyer View Post
    When you say great battery life, care to qualify that statement.
    On my MRO, I think it was at setting 2 maybe 3, I am getting about 6 months or so out of the battery.
    That seem odd. All of mine have easily been ~1yr on setting 4. I don't know if they last longer than a year to be honest, as I change them out on Aug 1st regardless.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Comfortable using MRO w/ no BUIS on HD gun?

Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    Is it so much the issue of it failing RIGHT at that moment, or the issue of pulling it out of the safe and realizing your battery is dead? Because I've had that happen with Aimpoints and Eotechs, and I regularly change batteries...
    Is this happening on a weapon you’re using for HD? If it is, how often are you handling it or checking it’s readiness? I personally check any HD weapons daily. If I was getting battery life well under what’s advertised on my Trijicons, Aimpoints, or Eotechs, I would be contacting the manufacturer.

I’m not anti BUIS by any means, and only 1 of 3 firearms with RDS that I have in a HD roll does not have BUIS. With that said, dead batteries don’t concern me at all. If I need a weapon in a home defense situation tonight, I have verified the optic is functioning at some point in the day. But for sake of argument let’s say the battery did miraculously die between those two moments, I am completely confident of making hits at HD distances with neither. Remember the OP said this is a Home Defense weapon. To me, that’s inside your home and probably less than 10 yards because I don’t live in a mansion. With that said, if you ever intend to use a weapon outside your house or in a SHTF situation then absolutely run BUIS.
    Last edited by Inkslinger; 04-09-20 at 16:17.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I'd be uncomfortable not having a BUIS, get flip ups if the sight picture is too cluttered for you.

If you're shooting inside the house, you can probably get away with minute of bad guy accuracy, but any rounds that miss and potentially leak out of the house is a huge criminal and civil liability.

Worst case scenario, you have to explain why you pressed the trigger when the RDS wasn't working properly and you didn't have a verifiable sighting system on your carbine.

Is it worth saving the $100 for a set of Magpul folding sights?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    For a competition or range gun- I run several with only a dot- no BUIS. But for a “serious” rifle I’d still have BUIS of some type. I run a MRO on my duty carbine. It has a fixed front sight and folding rear. For red dots, I’ve found that I prefer this set up: fixed front (either A frame or locked in the up position flip up) front sight. This helps to keep parallax to a minimum. When you are shooting, especially at longer ranges, I “float” the dot above the front sight post. This is especially important in the MRO, as it does have more parallax issues than an Aimpoint. Up close- I completely ignore the FSP. This is with a lower 1/3 co-witness. I like to keep my rear flipped down, this keeps the sight picture less cluttered.

For the “just shoot through the tube if the battery dies” crowd- have you ever done it under pressure? I’ve done it on the range, and it sort of works. But try it on the clock in a match. Once I forgot to turn on my Micro during a 3 gun stage- beep, mount rifle, oh shit no dot, screw it they’re close enough- start shooting (full IPSC targets 3-15 yards). Result? A bunch of C and D zone hits. Not what I would want in a HD encounter.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Based on my experiences using sim rounds in force on force training, on more than a dozen occasions...

No one uses sights (RDS or BUIS) of any sort inside a house. In my mind the only "Mandatory" item a home defense rifle needs is a good light.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    Based on my experiences using sim rounds in force on force training, on more than a dozen occasions...

No one uses sights (RDS or BUIS) of any sort inside a house. In my mind the only "Mandatory" item a home defense rifle needs is a good light.
    Interesting. If you aren't seeing your sights under stress, you aren't trained well enough. Having used Sims a dozen times x 10, I can tell you that your experience isn't consistent with most, and, no offense, likely shouldn't be taken as gospel.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Agreed. Doing force on force with sim pistols and carbines for the last 14 years- you absolutely can use your sights. The ones who just point shoot are the ones who shoot everyone in the legs, arms, ass, or miss entirely. The ones who actually shoot with sights like your supposed to will wear out the ones who don’t. When I do a briefing after a shoot house run, most of the time I can completely remember where my carbine dot, or pistol Trijicon HD sight was on my “target” when I shot them. If you aren’t using sights during force on force, you need more training.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast