Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Comfortable using MRO w/ no BUIS on HD gun?

Feedback Score
    To the OP, try leaving the front sight on, removing the rear sight and keeping both eyes open. See if that makes it easier for you. If it does, then get a folding rear sight if you feel the need for one.

For working in close, like in your home, you may not have the time or space to deploy a BUIS, so if its not up, you'll have to make do without. As mentioned, you can use the tube of the MRO as rear peep for close work. I'd recommend practicing at the range.

I've had/seen USGI M68s (aimpoints) fail, so I don't think that battery optics are totally "bombproof". Also remember that your battery is a weak point, buy good ones and check them regularly.
    Last edited by cd228; 04-16-20 at 18:39.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post

For a gun that is purely a house gun, not getting bumped around in a truck or the woods, is a set of BUIS necessary with a new MRO or is that optic considered reliable enough to not need a redundant sighting system?
    I think the answer you're looking for here is "magpul MBUS".
    Cheap and light, you'll never notice them on the gun, but still robust enough in case it's all you got. Plus spring-loaded, so goodbye rapid deployment issues.

That being said, I would consider an MRO a 'high reliability' optic. People still running Eotechs, despite the known issues...
    I would not consider, especially for your stated use, irons to be a "need it now" item, more an "add on in near future" item.

Of course, if you want to get real for a second, for a dedicated house gun, I'd have skipped the expensive MRO, got a Primary Arms RDS in your favorite flavor, dropped a set of backup MBUS irons on there just in case the optic China's out on you, and put the rest of the money into something more useful like ammo/mags/etc.
    You'd have both options, that selection is still robust enough to do most field-use tasks if your end use changes down the road, and we wouldn't have five more pages of people trying to decide whether a high-end modern optic can stand alone.
    There, I said it...
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I also do not care for a fixed rear with a red dot sight. A fixed front with RDS does not bother me at all and that is one less sight to flip if your optic goes south.

I would and do run BUIS on my RDS equipped guns - 1 MRO and 1 AP PRO.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 04-18-20 at 08:17.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I only use Aimpoints on my serious use guns and I have no worries about the optic failing. The batteries on the other hand, are a different story. IMHO, batteries will always be the weak link so I run BUIS.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Seems that some pretty renowned trainers agree that "no sight training" is a thing. If anything; being able to shoot without sights is the most reliable (not precise) form of aiming. Batteries can die and irons can disappear at night, but reflexes will always work and be FAST.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    It's part of muscle memory. If you talk to any decent USPSA shooter they're basically not using sights for 5-10 yard shots...

I also spoke to Dania Vizzi who is a world champion skeet shooter. She doesn't have sights on her shotgun...

Last edited by mebiuspower; 04-21-20 at 11:51.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post

Seems that some pretty renowned trainers agree that "no sight training" is a thing. If anything; being able to shoot without sights is the most reliable (not precise) form of aiming. Batteries can die and irons can disappear at night, but reflexes will always work and be FAST.
    I think you've taken this post out of context and misunderstanding what Cowan is saying.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    He basically did it to prove a point, not say that it’s a great idea and that’s how everyone should do it. I went through a LE instructor course years ago, shooting out to 20 yards, at night, with the only illumination a street light about a hundred yards away. No lights, we could barely make out the outline of the targets. I had only fiber optic sights, i.e. I had no sights since it was dark. We used natural point of aim and I could still keep all my shots in the A zone. This is under nice static range conditions with no stress. Add movement or any type of unusual position and it no longer works.

If you look at Cowan’s target. Sure it’s a “90” but with sights on the gun a “100” is easy, and most shots would be in the “box” not just somewhere in the bottle.
    Last edited by msstate56; 04-21-20 at 14:09.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebiuspower View Post
    It's part of muscle memory. If you talk to any decent USPSA shooter they're basically not using sights for 5-10 yard shots...

I also spoke to Dania Vizzi who is a world champion skeet shooter. She doesn't have sights on her shotgun...

I’m a decent USPSA shooter and I use my sights on every shot. There’s a difference between getting a flash sight picture, and your brain saying “that’s close enough- bang” and just flat out point shooting. On close fast shots, most are seeing a blurred front sight somewhere near the target zone, which is still “aimed fire.” It doesn’t have to be a nice classic “crisp in focus front sight, even light in rear sight notch, blurry target” sight picture to still be aiming.

For the shotgun shooter- the vent rib on the gun is essentially a sight. It is a long flat sight. So unless you are a World Champion, shooting clays in a match- I’d suggest it’s best to use some sights on your gun.
    Last edited by msstate56; 04-21-20 at 14:23.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Based on my experiences using sim rounds in force on force training, on more than a dozen occasions...

No one uses sights (RDS or BUIS) of any sort inside a house. In my mind the only "Mandatory" item a home defense rifle needs is a good light.

So, at this point, are you advocating literally not having sights, not training with sights of some kind, point shooting no matter what, or all three/combination of the three?

Your comments are concerning to me, and not at all inline with any mainstream school of thought on modern gunfighting. I'm curious as to what real world experience you have to make this determination and then preach it as gospel? How many times have you pointed a real firearm, outside of your sims training, at another human being?

I am not trying to demean you, only to vet your statements that you have made multiple times now.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast