Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heinie "Ledge" Sights - Glock

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Heinie "Ledge" Sights - Glock

I've been shooting my Gen 5 17 more often since I have time for it now and I have Ameriglo Agent sights on it. From about 12-15 yards out my groups start to open up significantly, and lower, like 8 ring w/ POA at the X - neither right nor left with any consistency, just a shotgun pattern. I have the regular Ameriglo Bold sights on a 26.5 and I shoot that noticeably better. My pistol skills have atrophied considerably over the years as I practice less, but in this case I think the sights might have something to do with it. Also, no surprise, but I'm finding that you don't just add a Surefire X300 to the front without a lot of practice. POI is noticeably different with it on and off - I'm thinking the low shots might be due in part to the light. My eyesight is not great, either.

I had 10-8 "U" sights on older Glocks, which I believe had a narrower front sight and I did well with those, but I was also shooting more. Anyway, I'm leaning toward replacing the Agents with Heinie Ledge sights, which have a narrower front. Anyone use those? Feedback? Any others I should look at? Also, did you have to change sight technique at all after adding a light, like holding higher?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Sights are really of personal preference. However, I’ve been using Heinie sights for many, many years. They are still among my favorites.

Feedback Score
    There's a lot of info/possibilities/various factors in that first post.
    I say shoot more ammo, but perhaps slower, and then realize one's limits as to handgun choice, distance, and accuracy (which may get better with more practice.

If you like a specific brand & model of sights, by all means buy and install them. Life is too short to go without sights you like. However, I've never found any fixed sights which will cut my groups in half, if that is the goal. I do like the idea of a thinner front sight for more precision.

I do believe a person should practice with a weapon-light mounted to understand if there will be any point-of-impact changes, no matter how minor, and no matter whether it be hardware or shooter-induced.

Your shooting may be fine. While others may shoot your gun better than you, or you just want to shoot a specific gun better is a good goal. Just be careful of thinking a hardware change will shrink groups as that's a never-ending "money-pit".

I'll say where I've seen pistol hardware and sights really make a difference are people with "MOS" sights mounted to their handguns/Glocks. Holding that red dot steady at 25 yards just seems easier than holding a front sight on a target. I suppose it's a blend of physical and psychological, but it seems to work well for many folks. (I haven't made the investment or transition yet and perhaps never will, but do have optics on my AR/AK rifles.)

If one wants to spend money I'll suggest trying a Glock 34 for more sight radius; &/or trying a MOS-equipped Glock. I personally shoot my G34gen4 more accurately than my G26gen3 and G17gen5, but I've not yet gotten into any MOS Glocks; maybe someday when I'm bored and have an extra $1100 (estimated) I want to spend.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It sucks getting old. I used to have black on black for my range guns but have had to switch to fiber optic fronts. I personally like a .105 front sight combined with a .135 rear notch, that seems to give me the light I need on both sides.

I like Dawson Precision because of their perfect zero guarantee. They stand by it and will work with you until you are on.

I have a set of Straight- Eight Slant Pro's on a Hi-Power, I like the sights but do not find them bright enough as night sights.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 04-07-20 at 09:44.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    For me and my Glocks, I found Heinie sights to be 6 o’clock hold, which I do not like. I prefer POA/POI and that’s Ameriglo Agents for me. Defoor sights are an option for you, but what will help accuracy the most at range is an RDS.

Feedback Score
    Take a hard look at the Vickers Glock sights by Wilson combat.

I have the tritium rear, which has no outline. During day, you just see the narrow trijicon hd like front sight (I prefer yellow). And for night sights you have a crazy 8 configuration.

I have orange ameriglo agents on another Glock. They are good, but the Vickers Glock sights by Wilson combat are better.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My preferred setup is a plain black rear with a hi vis front sight. All my duty pistol are running a Hackathorn style plain black rear with a yellow/green pro glo front. I order all mine directly from Ameriglo to get this setup, and correct front sight height for POA/POI.

I do like my Vickers G43, which has the Wilson Vickers Combat sight on the rear with a Pro glo Green/yellow front. I don't like U cut rears, but the Wilson ones in particular work well, so I would look at those.

With my aging eyes, I have found a wider rear sight gives me a faster cleaner picture. The wider rear sight also keeps my eyes from trying to focus on it, and is easier for my peripheral vision to line it up with the front. Tried a thinner rear, and there was too much fighting with my eyes, trying to focus on the rear instead of the front.

I also have no issue keeping tight groups at distance.

This was at 10 yards, top group and 12 yards, bottom group.

TXPO
    Last edited by Texaspoff; 04-09-20 at 09:17.
    Cerified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer
    NRA/LE Firearms Instructor
    ColdBoreCustom.com

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I used to run Straight 8's on different platforms before settling on 1911's and Glocks and now use 10-8 sights for commonality.

If you're having issues with shifting POA/POI, think about adding an adjustable rear sight- not all ammo is created equal and if you're switching between plinking ammo and duty ammo, it may make enough of a difference that you have to adjust the sights each time you shoot.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaramillo4418 View Post
    Take a hard look at the Vickers Glock sights by Wilson combat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texaspoff View Post
    I don't like U cut rears, but the Wilson ones in particular work well, so I would look at those.
    Vickers/Wilson Battlesights. I'm still young enough that the plain black on black is a non-issue, but I appreciate that replacing the Glock front sight requires nothing more than the turning of a screw and a bit of Loctite.

"One can lead a child to knowledge, but one cannot make him think."
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Shot with the Ledge sights this weekend. Groups were somewhat improved and they were quicker for me to pick up. I went with the red fiber front. However, I also think part of it might have been mechanical. I shot it with the factory barrel and a new factory threaded barrel - it/I shot fantastic with the threaded barrel. I don't doubt that some of it is my own deteriorating skills, but the threaded barrel definitely helped.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast