Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2020 Legion 9/11 Memorial Run N Gun: Sept 12-13, Spencer, TN

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    So how is this range taliv? Rockcastle was pretty hilly. Looking for a nice temperate high 60's low 70's range with flat ground, slight breeze, sun that's never in your eyes while shooting.

Feedback Score
    well, it's on the edge of the cumberland plateau, a few miles from big waterfalls etc, so there's a potential for hills. I've shot a lot of matches at rock castle (including mammoth sniper) and i'd say RC is a good bit more vertical (and larger, 2000ac iirc) than the actual property DZ is on, but I'm sure they can find some hills on the neighboring property.

DZ is a pretty solid facility. The 1000 yd range rolls about like oak ridge, but is more protected from wind by giant berms on either side. Several good bays for carbine/pistol. Good mix of open grass and woods. No golf courses lol but they have sunk a few bucks into nice cover for all the firing lines.

Being up on the plateau the temp is usually a few degrees cooler, but Sept is usually still high 80s-90s.

I'd never heard of this match, much less shot it, but from the videos, my guess is one of the more interesting things about this range might be the opportunity for obstacles. they've done a pretty phenomenal amount of dirt work, and if I was the MD, i'd prob have people scrambling up and down some of the bigger berms

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Matt has no trouble getting you soaked and muddy on the first stage. Less hills would be nice. I already run a range that uses dirt bike trails for the course so running on uneven terrain is no biggie. No cave like rockcastle to cool off in mid way through. Was always a nice vacation from the heat. Don't think people liked shooting it with only glow sticks last year. Pistol reddot for the win.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    dang, this is at my home range and i didn't hear about it until i just read this thread

plan to do it ever year?
    It's too early to say for sure, but I'm hopeful. Let me be sure this first match at a new location is a win/win/win for everyone involved before I start thinking about next year!

As for the terrain vs. Rockcastle: Dead Zero definitely has less elevation change than Rockcastle, but the course has more water hazards and is generally "wilder".

taliv - do you shoot 3-gun, IDPA, or something else entirely at Dead Zero? I'm a pretty regular 3-gunner there and a "sometimes" IDPAer. It's likely we've passed each other at some point if not shot together already.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12