Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Legion 9/11 Memorial Run N Gun: Sept 12-13, Spencer, TN

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    So how is this range taliv? Rockcastle was pretty hilly. Looking for a nice temperate high 60's low 70's range with flat ground, slight breeze, sun that's never in your eyes while shooting.

Feedback Score
    well, it's on the edge of the cumberland plateau, a few miles from big waterfalls etc, so there's a potential for hills. I've shot a lot of matches at rock castle (including mammoth sniper) and i'd say RC is a good bit more vertical (and larger, 2000ac iirc) than the actual property DZ is on, but I'm sure they can find some hills on the neighboring property.

DZ is a pretty solid facility. The 1000 yd range rolls about like oak ridge, but is more protected from wind by giant berms on either side. Several good bays for carbine/pistol. Good mix of open grass and woods. No golf courses lol but they have sunk a few bucks into nice cover for all the firing lines.

Being up on the plateau the temp is usually a few degrees cooler, but Sept is usually still high 80s-90s.

I'd never heard of this match, much less shot it, but from the videos, my guess is one of the more interesting things about this range might be the opportunity for obstacles. they've done a pretty phenomenal amount of dirt work, and if I was the MD, i'd prob have people scrambling up and down some of the bigger berms

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Matt has no trouble getting you soaked and muddy on the first stage. Less hills would be nice. I already run a range that uses dirt bike trails for the course so running on uneven terrain is no biggie. No cave like rockcastle to cool off in mid way through. Was always a nice vacation from the heat. Don't think people liked shooting it with only glow sticks last year. Pistol reddot for the win.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    dang, this is at my home range and i didn't hear about it until i just read this thread

plan to do it ever year?
    It's too early to say for sure, but I'm hopeful. Let me be sure this first match at a new location is a win/win/win for everyone involved before I start thinking about next year!

As for the terrain vs. Rockcastle: Dead Zero definitely has less elevation change than Rockcastle, but the course has more water hazards and is generally "wilder".

taliv - do you shoot 3-gun, IDPA, or something else entirely at Dead Zero? I'm a pretty regular 3-gunner there and a "sometimes" IDPAer. It's likely we've passed each other at some point if not shot together already.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Now that the Oklahoma match is over - it's time for another hint: one of our stages will be based on an event in the life of OSS & Marine Colonel Peter J. Ortiz. The OSS in many ways was the precursor to modern Special Forces, and 5SFG wants to take you on a tour of SF History for this match.

There are literally entire books written about Ortiz, but here's a short article to get you started: https://sofrep.com/specialoperations...-like-fiction/

A blurb to get you to click the link and read more:

"His legend grew, there are several stories of him waltzing into German occupied towns in full uniform and having a go with the German troops. While the stories vary, they reinforce the fact that he was not afraid to go anywhere in his operational area. In the book “Herringbone Cloak–GI Dagger: Marines of the OSS” written by LTC Robert Mattingly, perhaps the best version of these events unfolded:

Ortiz, in particular, was fond of going straight into the German-occupied towns. On one occasion, he strolled into a cafe dressed in a long cape. Several Germans were drinking and cursing the maquis. One mentioned the fate which would befall the filthy American swine when he was caught. (The Nazis apparently knew of Ortiz’ existence in the area with the maquis) This proved a great mistake. Captain Ortiz threw back the cape revealing his Marine uniform. In each hand, he held a .45 automatic. When the shooting stopped, there were fewer Nazis to plan his capture and Ortiz was gone into the night."

I know these all sound like crazy Hollywood movies, but take a minute to reflect on the fact that these men actually existed, and these stores actually happened. And around 50 years from now when they finally get declassified, maybe we'll be lucky enough to read some similar stories about the fine young men we'll run with in September. I have no doubt they are doing all this and more.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am thrilled to announce Barrett has just signed on as a major sponsor and donated an MRAD to be given away at this year's match. This is a $6,600 rifle and is especially fitting because it's the civilian version of SOCOM's new M22 Advanced Sniper Rifle.

More to come as I nail down a few last details, but you will have an incredibly unique opportunity at this year's match because of this partnership. I suggest bringing lots of cash (to be donated to SFA as a part of this opportunity), brushing up on your wind reading skills, lowering your heart rate, and stabilizing your breathing while pulling the trigger smoothly.

If you're coming to the Legion Match for the prizes you're there for the wrong reasons - so I don't want this to start the wrong kind of hype for this match. But it is just such a perfect fit I can't help but share the good news! Be sure to thank Barrett for their support of this match, but more importantly for creating awesome weapons that help our guys crush the souls of their enemies!

https://barrett.net/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Some things you need to know:

Shooters will be disqualified (DQ’d) and not allowed to finish the course for the following violations: having a loaded rifle anywhere EXCEPT on a shooting stage after the “beep”, dropping a loaded pistol, pointing a loaded weapon at someone, or having a Negligent Discharge (ND). It is solely the judgement of my Staff that I trust if these should occur, and if you argue with an RO you will lose.

You will have a maximum of 3 minutes to complete each shooting course of fire. Any targets not fully neutralized per the COF will add 10 seconds each to your shoot time. Any "no shoot" targets hit will also add 10 seconds each to your shoot time. In the civilian word hitting a "no shoot" carries a much stiffer penalty, but SF has different rules. "Good guys" are not always that good, and if there's any question one might shoot you in the back later it's best to be safe. That's all I'm going to say about that.

This will be specified during each stage briefing, but in general torso targets take 3 rifle hits or 5 pistol hits to neutralize (oh yeah - and D-zone hits don't count). SF would never just put two hits into someone and move on - they shoot until the target is no longer a threat. Since we can't do that here, I asked them for the average number of hits they made in the field to accomplish that task. That's where we came up with the 3/5 rule. Some steel targets will only take one hit to neutralize - but again, it will be made clear during the stage briefing. Pay attention.

Your net run time (finish time minus start time minus any wait times) will make up 50% of your total score. All of your shoot times combined will make up the other 50% of your score. So you most both shoot well and run fast to do well at this match.

Any questions???
    Last edited by Matt in TN; 08-13-20 at 21:15.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt in TN View Post

Some things you need to know:

Shooters will be disqualified (DQ’d) and not allowed to finish the course for the following violations: having a loaded rifle anywhere EXCEPT on a shooting stage after the “beep”, dropping a loaded pistol, pointing a loaded weapon at someone, or having a Negligent Discharge (ND). It is solely the judgement of my Staff that I trust if these should occur, and if you argue with an RO you will lose.

You will have a maximum of 3 minutes to complete each shooting course of fire. Any targets not fully neutralized per the COF will add 10 seconds each to your shoot time. Any "no shoot" targets hit will also add 10 seconds each to your shoot time. In the civilian word hitting a "no shoot" carries a much stiffer penalty, but SF has different rules. "Good guys" are not always that good, and if there's any question one might shoot you in the back later it's best to be safe. That's all I'm going to say about that.

This will be specified during each stage briefing, but in general torso targets take 3 rifle hits or 5 pistol hits to neutralize. SF would never just put two hits into someone and move on - they shoot until the target is no longer a threat. Since we can't do that here, I asked them for the average number of hits they made in the field to accomplish that task. That's where we came up with the 3/5 rule. Some steel targets will only take one hit to neutralize - but again, it will be made clear during the stage briefing. Pay attention.

Your net run time (finish time minus start time minus any wait times) will make up 50% of your total score. All of your shoot times combined will make up the other 50% of your score. So you most both shoot well and run fast to do well at this match.

Any questions???
    Any idea what the minimum round count is? Similar to 2019?

Also, would you consider sharing the max distance we'll be required to shoot with our rifle? Or is that a surprise?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Any idea what the minimum round count is? Similar to 2019?

Also, would you consider sharing the max distance we'll be required to shoot with our rifle? Or is that a surprise?
    Round count will be coming soon.

Most difficult rifle target with YOUR rifle will be a 4 MOA target at 300 yds max. There will be a side stage with a very special rifle at 1,000 yds.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Samson Manufacturing (https://www.samson-mfg.com/) has supported every match I've put on, and the Run N Guns at Rockcastle literally would never have happened without Bryan Ray's help getting me started. So I'm honored to announce that not only is Samson returning to sponsor yet another match, but with a bigger donation to the prize table than they've ever done before!

If you need high quality handguards and accessories you should look no further than Samson. I'm a lifetime customer and you should be too -

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast