Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Drone thoughts. (Week 2 of one flying over our shooting spot)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulletdog View Post
    Why do you care? The person probably hears shots and wants to see what is going on. At 300+ feet high, you would look like an ant in the frame, so to see anything in detail, it would have to be very close to you, and they don't have a zoom lens. Your guns and your face would be totally unrecognizable. From your description, it sounds like a DJI Phantom. The newer models have a 5 mile range in ideal conditions. If someone shoots one down while they are in view of the camera, it can be recorded on the remote controller in the operators hands even if you recover the drone and SIM card. They also now have GPS locators built in, so don't drive away with it.

They aren't hurting anything and they can't see much from that altitude. They might not even be looking at you. They might be over your range and looking at something over the next hill. Why is this so bothersome? You should really find someone that has one and let them put it up for you so you can see what I'm talking about. I think that might allay some of the fears expressed in this thread.

Not even sure if you are being serious. Like mentioned by others, most people here value their privacy. It would be pretty damn annoying to have some ass hat hover his drone over my private property, especially if it requires them to fly it a mile over my property line.
    Whiskey

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Illegal about shooting one down or not, I had one flying in my backyard once right over my deck and about 15 feet in front of my rear sliding door where the camera would have gotten a good look right inside my house. I headed back into the house and came back with the shotty and made sure it was in full view as I chambered a round. As one could imagine, it flew off rather quickly.

I don't care about "laws" on such things if it's right in front of my back door peeking in. I have a level of privacy on my property and in my own home that should be respected by drone operators as well.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    If I owned the land, I wouldn't even post the question... I'd already be mashing the trigger.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    Illegal about shooting one down or not, I had one flying in my backyard once right over my deck and about 15 feet in front of my rear sliding door where the camera would have gotten a good look right inside my house. I headed back into the house and came back with the shotty and made sure it was in full view as I chambered a round. As one could imagine, it flew off rather quickly.

I don't care about "laws" on such things if it's right in front of my back door peeking in. I have a level of privacy on my property and in my own home that should be respected by drone operators as well.
    That is totally unacceptable, and this is exactly the kind of ass hat that Steyr was talking about. People like that give everyone a bad name. I wouldn't blame you for shooting it down in that case, but I don't equate 15 feet away looking into your house with 300 feet over an outdoor shooting range in the hills.

The law on this is very ambiguous. This thread made me look it up. I remember reading something years ago that said the property owner owns the airspace up to a certain height over their property. I thought the number was 88 feet, but I can't find that number now. I did find this explanation and several others that were similar to this one: https://3dinsider.com/private-property-drones/. Essentially, there have been several court cases dealing with who owns/controls what airspace over the years, and the courts have failed to put numbers on the airspace between 0 and 400 feet, which is the only area drones can legally operate, with some exceptions for licensed commercial use. Over 400 feet is FAA territory and belongs to the feds.

In the same way we shouldn't ban guns because of some nut job, we shouldn't ban drones because of some ass hat. Deal with the ass hat, and leave the rest of us alone. In all my years of flying drones and other remote aircraft, I've only seen this "drone paranoia" first hand one time. I was considerate and talked the whack job out of an unfounded confrontation. I don't think I'm the exception. They are a lot of fun, and a very useful tool at times too. All this controversy about them really bothers me.
    "Literally EVERYTHING is in space, Morty." Grandpa Rick Sanchez

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulletdog View Post
    That is totally unacceptable, and this is exactly the kind of ass hat that Steyr was talking about. People like that give everyone a bad name. I wouldn't blame you for shooting it down in that case, but I don't equate 15 feet away looking into your house with 300 feet over an outdoor shooting range in the hills.

The law on this is very ambiguous. This thread made me look it up. I remember reading something years ago that said the property owner owns the airspace up to a certain height over their property. I thought the number was 88 feet, but I can't find that number now. I did find this explanation and several others that were similar to this one: https://3dinsider.com/private-property-drones/. Essentially, there have been several court cases dealing with who owns/controls what airspace over the years, and the courts have failed to put numbers on the airspace between 0 and 400 feet, which is the only area drones can legally operate, with some exceptions for licensed commercial use. Over 400 feet is FAA territory and belongs to the feds.

In the same way we shouldn't ban guns because of some nut job, we shouldn't ban drones because of some ass hat. Deal with the ass hat, and leave the rest of us alone. In all my years of flying drones and other remote aircraft, I've only seen this "drone paranoia" first hand one time. I was considerate and talked the whack job out of an unfounded confrontation. I don't think I'm the exception. They are a lot of fun, and a very useful tool at times too. All this controversy about them really bothers me.
    I'm not going to paint all drone owners with a broad brush. I know there are a few clowns out there that screw it up for everyone.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
    Can't but think about drone dogfighting!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    I'm with you. Of course better than the flamethrower would be a Fokker Triplane painted red.

Last edited by mack7.62; 04-07-20 at 17:19.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexHill View Post
    My Mavic Platinum Pro has a 4.5 mile range. The courts have ruled that you don't own the airspace above your property, and shooting down a drone is a federal offense. In Texas I can legally fly my drone over your property as long as I don't take any pictures or video. Only government entities are exempt from this law. The appraisal districts here use drones to evaluate the properties within their jurisdiction.
    I would expect this one has 4-5 mile capability. Because it comes from overhead about a mile behind us. Travels our full mile shot, plus some then circles back after opening his route up in an oval pattern. It’s got potential.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    I'm not going to paint all drone owners with a broad brush. I know there are a few clowns out there that screw it up for everyone.
    Thanks man. I appreciate that.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    What if you just happened to be really bad at flying your own drone and it crashed into theirs?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vandal5 View Post
    What if you just happened to be really bad at flying your own drone and it crashed into theirs?
    Physically possible, but very difficult to do. They have sensors all around now that prevent you from running into anything.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast