Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 69

Thread: Dueling 12.5's - build planning, ersatz-GL/SSC vs GAU-5 ASDW

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,692
    Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Right now might not be the best time to shop for a URX II, as the Knight's Armament online store is closed right now due to Covid-19. They were the only place I could find URX IIs in stock when I was toying with idea of another 11.5" build.

    IMO, if you're not a fighter pilot making your way on foot through hostile terrain, then a GAU-5 isn't really necessary.
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 04-11-20 at 06:38.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SeattHELL, Soviet Socialist S***hole of Washington
    Posts
    8,575
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    Right now might not be the best time to shop for a URX II, as the Knight's Armament online store is closed right now due to Covid-19. They were the only place I could find URX IIs in stock when I was toying with idea of another 11.5" build.

    IMO, if you're not a fighter pilot making your way on foot through hostile terrain, then a GAU-5 isn't really necessary.
    I don't think I've ever seen the URX-II in stock at KAC in the couple years I've been in the AR game, unsurprising since it's considered "2 generations obsolete". Re the GAU, part of its appeal is that it gives you almost a full M4 that can still discreetly fit into a Bug-Out/Get-Home Bag, alongside the "novelty" factor.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    YOU IDIOTS! I WROTE 1984 AS A WARNING, NOT A HOW-TO MANUAL!--Orwell's ghost
    Psalms 109:8, 43:1
    LIFE MEMBER - NRA & SAF; FPC MEMBER Not employed or sponsored by any manufacturer, distributor or retailer.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,692
    Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen the URX-II in stock at KAC in the couple years I've been in the AR game, unsurprising since it's considered "2 generations obsolete". Re the GAU, part of its appeal is that it gives you almost a full M4 that can still discreetly fit into a Bug-Out/Get-Home Bag, alongside the "novelty" factor.
    They had them in stock a few months back. I almost ordered one, but I had other financial obligations at the time. I was very tempted though. I remember going as far as putting my CC info into their checkout screen.... You may want to call their office, and see if they have any you can buy over the phone...

    I can agree with the novelty factor. If it suits your needs that's great.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SeattHELL, Soviet Socialist S***hole of Washington
    Posts
    8,575
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    They had them in stock a few months back. I almost ordered one, but I had other financial obligations at the time. I was very tempted though. I remember going as far as putting my CC info into their checkout screen.... You may want to call their office, and see if they have any you can buy over the phone...

    I can agree with the novelty factor. If it suits your needs that's great.
    True... "needs" I have a Mk 18 and my trusty old 1911 for Bad Breath Distance and a C8 and soon M4 for "reach", anything more is just adding more options and "improving"--as it is we already have more systems than personnel to operate them. Eventually, I'd like one of each, so at this point the debate is more about prioritizing which is going forward first.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    YOU IDIOTS! I WROTE 1984 AS A WARNING, NOT A HOW-TO MANUAL!--Orwell's ghost
    Psalms 109:8, 43:1
    LIFE MEMBER - NRA & SAF; FPC MEMBER Not employed or sponsored by any manufacturer, distributor or retailer.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    13,176
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I need to get a group shot of my various 12.5"s. Here is the current configuration of her as she sits at the moment...







    Stick


    Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

    I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...


    Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    13,176
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The GL/SSC is set up as primarily a daytime weapon, below is my primary night time/ bump in the dark gun in MK18 flavor.



    Stick


    Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

    I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...


    Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,160
    Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Honestly, Stick, with options at 10.3/11.5/12.5 with good ammo, for practical purposes, do you see much point in anything longer than a 12.5” besides maybe an 18” SPR?

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SeattHELL, Soviet Socialist S***hole of Washington
    Posts
    8,575
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    The GL/SSC is set up as primarily a daytime weapon, below is my primary night time/ bump in the dark gun in MK18 flavor.
    Ironic that the roles are reversed for our purposes... my Mk 18, once reconstituted onto a live lower, is on day shift because it can be more discreetly carried while anything bigger leaves rack only for Range or Bump-In-The-Night.

    20180413_124836.jpg
    This pic doesn't have the laser, tape, blast shield or left-side and brace-mount spare mags, but see anything you'd do differently or might be an NFA issue if this goes onto Live Iron? (Ready-to-fire length is 25.925 from A5 tube through to muzzle crown, though I'm not sure how the "unsafe to fire folded" LAW compares to irons that are meant to fire while folded. You know ATF, not happy if the rules are predictable...)
    Last edited by Diamondback; 04-14-20 at 17:11.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    YOU IDIOTS! I WROTE 1984 AS A WARNING, NOT A HOW-TO MANUAL!--Orwell's ghost
    Psalms 109:8, 43:1
    LIFE MEMBER - NRA & SAF; FPC MEMBER Not employed or sponsored by any manufacturer, distributor or retailer.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    13,176
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Honestly, Stick, with options at 10.3/11.5/12.5 with good ammo, for practical purposes, do you see much point in anything longer than a 12.5” besides maybe an 18” SPR?
    Sorry that I missed this question. I think once we start to reply with yes or no, we get back to condensing that idea that we may as well all use 12.5s. It also brings up the question of ammo and by that point we are on the slippery slope to all arguing that "Stick sucks, we should just carry Mk18s".
    Stick


    Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

    I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...


    Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,160
    Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    "Stick sucks, we should just carry Mk18s".
    That would be interesting, since I believe you shared pictures of your go-to 10.3” carbine. I guess haters gonna hate.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

    Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •