Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: .223/77TMK for semi, results

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    I never really looked into mandrel dies and don’t know anything about them. What’s the advantages?
    They can help reduce neck runout.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I never really looked into mandrel dies and don’t know anything about them. What’s the advantages?
    Mandrels are in various dies. But for neck sizing they nearly eliminate neck stretch and runout. My case trimmer barely kisses the neck with a neck expander die compared to an expander ball which pulls out on the neck to work.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Mandrels are in various dies. But for neck sizing they nearly eliminate neck stretch and runout. My case trimmer barely kisses the neck with a neck expander die compared to an expander ball which pulls out on the neck to work.
    Thanks. So more of a bolt gun thing? Any issues with chambering?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The expander balls will also give inconsistent readings on shoulder bump as explained it pulls on the neck. If you are on the ragged edge of headspace with your sizing, then you could get a tight one. If you are doing .003 on a semi, you should be fine.
    I always lubed the inside neck but I would get some that "pulled" more than others.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Thanks. So more of a bolt gun thing? Any issues with chambering?
    This is how I run ALL .223/5.56 ammo... Especially gas gun because it reduces the amount of time trimming necks for larger batches of gas gun ammo. (gas gun and bolt gun ammo are the same for me. I don't load ball ammo anymore.)
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    This is how I run ALL .223/5.56 ammo... Especially gas gun because it reduces the amount of time trimming necks for larger batches of gas gun ammo. (gas gun and bolt gun ammo are the same for me. I don't load ball ammo anymore.)
    I switched to mandrel dies for neck sizing and I have also noticed a significant reduction in the amount of trimming I need to do.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Thanks for the info guys. I think I was getting tripped up by the word mandrel? When I think of neck sizing, I think of Lee collet dies (which now I realize obviously they have a mandrel). I had stopped using them for my bolt gun ammo because chambering started to get tighter. Obviously FL sizing works the brass more but my accuracy was fine so I moved on. 11 firings in on Lapua 308 brass and I had a case separation. That has got me looking at neck sizing again. If you are neck sizing only for 223, do you keep brass separated by gun for semi auto or do you have no chambering issues with mix and match?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Thanks for the info guys. I think I was getting tripped up by the word mandrel?
    Yep. For clarification (anyone reading this who is getting confused), a standard sizing die will size the neck down a little too far and then the expander ball opens the neck back up on the upstroke. This is to make sure your neck is round for reloading. If you remove the expander ball, you need to open the neck up with a neck sizing die. Otherwise there's too much neck tension, and the jackets on your bullet start shaving off at bullet seating.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Yep. For clarification (anyone reading this who is getting confused), a standard sizing die will size the neck down a little too far and then the expander ball opens the neck back up on the upstroke. This is to make sure your neck is round for reloading. If you remove the expander ball, you need to open the neck up with a neck sizing die. Otherwise there's too much neck tension, and the jackets on your bullet start shaving off at bullet seating.
    That makes a ton of sense and I think that was the part I was missing when I would see people talking about removing the expander ball. You don't know what you don't know.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Remember, every barrel is different, so many variables. Although you would need the same ammo or components, a chronological helps to track changes. One example of barrels, a class, two rem 700's one number apart, same case of ammo, one required .4 more elevation once distance mattered.

How many rounds on your barrel and conditions it has lived in?
    No doubt, I have a 20 inch 308 shoot same velocities as my 24 inch 308. Many many variables, barrels, powder lots, heat outside, heat of ammo in sun.....the list is outrageously long.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456