Thread: Hodge 12.5" Do All Rifle

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)

Hodge 12.5" Do All Rifle

For some time, I have been thinking about docsherm's 12.5" do all gun with a LPVO. Short and handy if needed for CQB on 1x and enough velocity to reach out at 6x. I have been wanting to experiment with the 12.5" barrel length for a while due to its velocity gains and softer shooting if properly gassed. My main goto for a long time has been a BCM 11.5" with an Aimpoint and a clip on magnifier.

There is not a ton of data out there on Hodge barrels or guns for that matter. I wanted to do a write up to add to that if someone is looking to build around a Hodge barrel. I also wanted to try out the lower parts that Hodge has opted to use. If you have any questions please fire way.

In Dec of 2018 I purchased a Hodge Upper and lower set from Operational Detachment Source. After purchasing the upper and lower set, I went on a hunt for a 12.5" Hodge barrel and was able to grab one from Weapon Outfitters. I also procured the parts that Hodge uses in his lower builds. I made deviations on the upper parts due to preference.

Parts

Lower:
    * Lower Receiver – Hodge Mod 1
    * Norgon Ambi-Catch
    * CMMG HD Pivot and Takedown Pins
    * MOE+ Grip
    * Geissele SSA
    * Badger Ordnance Safety Selector
    * Badger Ordnance Bolt Catch
    * MOE Trigger Guard
    * Seekens Billet Magazine Release Button
    * Magpul QD End Plate
    * A5 Receiver Extension
    * Green Sprinco Buffer Spring
    * A5H2 Buffer
    * SBA3 Brace
    * All other Small parts were Colt

Upper:
    * Upper Receiver – Hodge Mod 1
    * 12.5” Hodge barrel
    * 10.75 KAC URX4
    * SLR GB-7 Gas Block
    * AAC 51T Blackout
    * Raptor charging handle
    * Hodge BCG
    * KAC Flip up irons
    * LDFA Forward assist

Upper & lower

I was unimpressed with the Mod-1 upper and lower set. The anodization was very nice and silky smooth but seemed thick in some places. My colt LPK was having some issue with pins and we had to swap bolt catch pins halfway through. The lower also had scratches down to bare aluminum on the ears around the trigger guard (should have been a blem in my opinion). The ears on the trigger guard were also very sharp, even after ano. Sharpest of any lower I have ever owned or used. Since they were already scratched up I took a file to the right side ear for times when you are holding the gun with one hand. In comparison to a SOLGW lower I recently built, the SOLGW went together perfectly, the Hodge was a bit of a bitch.

The upper and lower fit is good with minimal slop but at the same time are not difficult to separate. The magwell has a nice bevel allowing easy feeding and an opening of .93. I was able to drop free of any mag I tested. The upper and lower are not as impressive as those by Noveske, SOLGW, or Umbrella Corp to name a few. Although the anodization is different and super smooth.

Lower Parts

Other than the small parts (springs / detents and roll pins - all Colt) the rest of the LPK was the collection of the parts used by Hodge in his full guns. Three parts that stand out are the Badger Ordnance safety which is the best ambi safety that I have ever used. The Badger Ordnance Enhanced Bolt Catch which is very nice and I prefer it to any I have used including the Geissele. It’s about the perfect size, being just a bit bigger than the mil-spec version but not a boat paddle sticking out catching on things. And the CMMG HD Pivot and takedown pins. They extend a bit further beyond what normal takedown pins do and have a center divot if using a bullet as a punch. All three items are very well thought out.

Are they worth the money over the mil-spec version in all LPKs? Yes & No. Yes in that I have come to love them. So much so, I have slowly started to replace the pins, bolt catch and the safety on all my guns to Badger Ordnance & CMMG. No in that it doesn't really matter and I am fine with any mil spec LPK.

The Norgon ambi mag release is nice but for the money I would definitely skip unless you’re a lefty.

12.5” Hodge / FN barrel

The Barrel is a Hodge Spec’d FN chrome lined hammer forged barrel using a proprietary steel. This barrel is one of the original batches that used the smaller gas port and is optimized for suppressed use. They are recommended to be used with standard carbine spring and buffer, and standard bolt carrier.

As of fall 2019 Hodge has opened up the gas port and now most web sites that sell Hodge barrels display a disclaimer like “2019 batch of 12.5" HDSI barrels have a slightly larger gas port, which makes them compatible with wider ranges of ammunition (.223/5.56mm, including M193 and M855), buffer systems like the Vltor A5, and LMT's enhanced bolt carrier.”

For the money you pay for these barrels ($425), in my mind you are paying for 4 things:

1) Durability – Hodge mystery steel has been shown in testing be extremely durable in high round count guns including the use of M855A1 EPR ammunition.
    2) Accuracy – These barrels have gotten good reviews of sub MOA accuracy for a chrome lined hammer forged barrel.
    3) Smaller gas port for shooting suppressed - gas port size on the pre 2019 12.5 is 0.068
    4) Non-government profile

Do you get most of that with a DD barrel? Yes and I think that's why DD barrels were on the OG hodge guns.

The first few batches of these disappeared in days and would not be restocked for months. That no longer seems to be the case and you can find them available as of writing from many of Hodge’s online dealers. IMO for that money, I would not be interested in a Hodge barrel with a larger gas port.

Upper Parts

The upper on this gun was really built around the Hodge barrel and the KAC URX 4 10.75 rail. The Hodge wedgelock was a little too skinny for me and the pinch lock was little too thick once you put rail covers on it. I am also a believer that the URX 4 is one of the best rails on the market with a lockup that is second to none.

Although I am an armor and have built lots and lots of AR uppers, I decided not to do this build. I had heard excellent things about Steve at Citizen Arms and the install of a URX 4 was not something I wanted to spend time doing. So, I sent off all the parts to Steve who is a rock star and kept me in the loop every step of the way. Steve’s turn around was about a month and I was very happy with the build. Steve’s accuracy card:

Accuracy

When I first got the upper back and gun together, I had some issue with getting the groups Steve did. I think this was ammo dependent and getting groups out of such a light gun. One of the rounds that Steve recommended that I had never used was the PMC 77gr X-TAC Match OTM. It’s essentially a clone of the BH 77gr at about half the cost. This gun loves the stuff. After getting some rounds downrange I was comfortable with Steve’s numbers and don’t have an issue getting sub MOA 5 shot groups with a 2-10x. Any numbers on the targets below are off a leatherman used as a ruler at the range. Refer to the Ballistic-X app numbers for a more accurate group size.

PMC 77gr X-TAC Match OTM

PMC X-Tac Green Tip 62gr

Wolf Gold 55gr

Federal 62gr Fusion

Federal 65gr Power Shok

Federal Gold Medal Match 69gr

10 shot group Black Hills' MK 262 Mod 1 (not the best batch I have ever had in regards to accuracy)

After accuracy testing, I played around with the right optic and have settled on a VX-6HD 1-6x24 that I had on my SCAR 17. The VX-6HD weighs in at 13.5oz and makes the gun very easy to transition when running and shooting steel. I originally had the Vortex Razor 1-6x gen II but the gun felt a little sluggish with that optic. Super happy with the VX-6HD as it relates to a 12.5" do all gun concept.

In its current config it has a law folder and is a great truck gun. I have had no issues with using an A5 with a green Sprinco spring and a A5H2 buffer. The gun runs great with or without a suppressor and is gassed perfect for mixed use in my opinion if using good ammo. After around a thousand rounds the gun runs great and is my new goto.

Last edited by themonk; 04-24-20 at 13:40.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Steve does good work. We have almost identical blasters. Mine just has a NX8 on it and KAC QDC Flash Hider haha. Sweet shooter for sure.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Nice write up and good looking build. I’ve been rocking a 12.5 since circa 2010, my favorite gun. It has an “outdated” Larue 11” rail but I can’t bring myself to change it. It has been well vetted through several EAG classes and killed pigs in Texas.

Feedback Score
    Love the build and now I'm even more intrigued by the 12.5. Good shooting to!!