Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8.5 5.56

Feedback Score

8.5 5.56

I am thinking about trading my 4.5 mpx-k for a cz bren 2 in 5.56 with the 8.5" barrel. My question is for home defense cqb is a 8.5" 5.56 better than a 4.5 9mm?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Better in what way? Terminal ballistics wise, definitely. There are several 5.56/.223 loads that still leave the muzzle with enough velocity to properly expand even out of an 8.5” barrel and maintain the necessary velocity at CQB distances. I think Speer Gold Dot .223 needs to be over 1700 or 1800 fps to expand properly. Are you planning to suppress it? An I suppressed 8.5” 5.56 going off indoors will really suck for everyone in the room, including you and your family members.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Yes, the super shorty 556 barrels are incredibly loud, even outdoors.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Even from a piston gun? I have some earpro that sits on my hd guns

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Piston or DI is irrelevant to the noise and blast at the muzzle.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLegalAce777 View Post
    Even from a piston gun? I have some earpro that sits on my hd guns
    Yes, insanely loud.

Feedback Score
    Okay but wouldn't ear pro mitigated that?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    A suppressor would be way more helpful. I would double up and wear plugs and earpro on a gun like that even outdoors.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Yes, the super shorty 556 barrels are incredibly loud, even outdoors.
    Played around with an 11.5" + A2 versus an 8.5" with a blast diverting muzzle device (not one of yours) that was roughly as long as the 11.5 overall and it was night and the 11.5" was noticeably less loud as the shooter or from any other position.

While noticeable while wearing ear protection, I don't know if there is any significant change in unprotected hearing damage between any barrel length/cartridge combination in the ranges getting discussed here. My assumption is the auditory version of falling 40' versus 50'.

Feedback Score
    I purchased a 6.75" PDW Barrel from Clint and went with one of his covert comps to go with it. So far, the pistol I assembled has surprised me in terms of loudness/blast from the shooter's perspective, as in it hasn't been what I thought it would be. Standing to the back left of my buddy shooting the pistol, I'd say it was less annoying than a surefire or a JP break. So far the pistol has chrono'ed factory 62 grain Speer Gold Dots at 1880 fps at the muzzle, and I am working up a load for 62 gr reloads at 5.56 velocities so I can expand the expansion threshold over further distances.

Saying all of that to say this, based off my personal experience with a short barreled 5.56 firearm, the muzzle device plays a large role in how negatively the shooter is affected, and ammo choice is extremely important given the reduced velocities you are working with. This firearm (My 6.75) isn't my 1st choice for home defense due to the concussive nature I think I would experience indoors, but I would rather use a short barreled 5.56 with the right load over a short barreled pcc to defend myself within my home.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast