Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 8.5 5.56

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by knownothing View Post
    Saying all of that to say this, based off my personal experience with a short barreled 5.56 firearm, the muzzle device plays a large role in how negatively the shooter is affected, and ammo choice is extremely important given the reduced velocities you are working with. This firearm (My 6.75) isn't my 1st choice for home defense due to the concussive nature I think I would experience indoors, but I would rather use a short barreled 5.56 with the right load over a short barreled pcc to defend myself within my home.
    IMO I think this is where 300 blackout come into play.

Feedback Score
    Is the terminal ballistics really going to be a game changer at that length vs 9mm?
    The noise is incredible, in a bad way. Linear comps might help, but inside a house, it wont matter.

300blk or 9mm at that length in my opinion, and train.

If something happens, you wont die because you picked the wrong gun or caliber.

Get the best gun for the job, train, buy decent ammo.

Why do you need an 8” barrel? As a side note, I find when you get really short, controlling recoil is more difficult. Not saying you cant run a short gun well, but I prefer 11” min for rifles.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 04-08-20 at 06:45.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah, for me 11.5 is the sweet spot for a shorty AR in 5.56.

I agree, less than that is .300 BO land.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Specifically for the Bren 2 you mentioned, if you look at what has been fielded, the French GIGN selected the Bren 2 with a 9" barrel, but picked the 7.62x39 caliber. Which I think is a much better choice if you are going that short.

My memory may be faulty, but I think they switched to the Bren 2 from the G36C 5.56 which also has very short barrel around 9" or so.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My 8.5" (5.56) is on top in the pic. Though noticeably louder than a 16" carbine, I don't find it that much louder. There's very little difference using an A2 flash hider or linear comp. I've fired it several times outdoors and inside a poultry-house. I like the maneuverability of it and have little concern for hearing issues if it's needed to pop someone. 99% chance I'd never use it indoors for defensive purposes.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Depending on your ammo, you could run out of the expansion envolope relatively quickly. And some rounds may not stabilize out of such a short barrel. There’s a reason why people who fight in close quarters don’t use such short barrels for 5.56.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    For home defense, were another 3" of length is a non-factor, 10.5-11.5" is the answer. Only reason to go shorter than that is specialized concealment requirements (bag, backpack, etc) IMO.

As I have no interest in a 300BLK build, I use my Scorpion-K Pistol build 5" 9MM or my SCAR 16 SBR 10.5", but only if it has to go into a bag.

For HD 11.5 Suppressed 5.56 SBR.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    There’s a good thread on P-F about the same exact topic, and there was some evidence that specific grains of gold dots will still be inside of the threshold with normal indoor ranges from an 8” barrel. That being said, I’m of the belief that a MK18 is the shortest worth going in a 5.56 and it’s compact enough that unless there is a definite need, it’s a good balance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    MK18 is the shortest worth going in a 5.56 and it’s compact enough that unless there is a definite need, it’s a good balance.
    100%! There is a reason that SOCOM uses 300 blackout below 10".

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    This is precisely what 300 BO was designed for.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast