Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rifle dynamic VS Meridian defense

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    And thats the problem, I continue to see a custom built AK (like a RD) aren't the same as a factory AK. None of my friends have a RD or similar to try out. I'm stuck with reading what people say or what people say on YouTube.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Hey bro, PSA barrels are made by FN, it's the same as your Hodge bro!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRevolver77 View Post
    If you were serious about upgrading your SLR 107 you'd be adding Zenitco parts anyway- which is what the former com block countries use.
    Zenitco is quality, but the full set up is way too heavy. I've tried almost every AK accessory that has come to market in the last 10-15 years and what I've found is in terms of layout the Russians really knew what they were doing. That said, I will say that it took capitalist ingenuity to really make it shine.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    I kind of get the feeling that some of those commenting in this thread have never shot an RD gun. They are nothing like a factory built AK.
    As I said, I have... While the fit and finish is better than Arsenal and most others, in terms of function it's still an AK. It may be smoother out of the box but they aren't noticeably more accurate. They're good rifles, just not worth the cost.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by amadeus76 View Post
    As I said, I have... While the fit and finish is better than Arsenal and most others, in terms of function it's still an AK. It may be smoother out of the box but they aren't noticeably more accurate. They're good rifles, just not worth the cost.
    I completely agree that they are not worth the cost. You can see that in the resale market, they are not going up. You may get your money out of it but most will sell for less. That may change as the price of a rack grade AKs approtches 1k. Its difficult to get the average AK buyer to buy into a nicer gun when chances are they were buying the AK because they didnt want to spend a grand on a decent AR. Jim never had an issue selling $2500 AKs when you could get a wasr for $500. Some of their total gucci models like AKS-74 URD are hand built by Jim and for that you have to pay for his time. His time is clearly worth more than one of the guys on the line. I have never shot an RD 762 gun but have put a lot of round though one of their 545 guns and it was MOA. It was also the smoothest perfectly gassed AKs I have ever fired and I have some nice AKs.

Please don't take what I am saying as defending RD or Jim but to say an RD gun is just like any other AK except they smooth out the rails and added a new trigger is exactly like saying a PSA AR is just like a Knights or Hodge gun. I totally agree if someone wants to sit around and laugh about a $2500 or $3500 AK, i'll join you. But there is no doubt that the guy knows what he's doing and like Krebs has done more for making the AK a viable fighting gun than most others. There were a lot of contractors in Iraq and Afghanistan that were carrying a RD gun - 1) there's a reason for that and 2) that's how he made his name.

All that being said I would not buy an RD gun now that Jim is no longer with RD.
    Last edited by themonk; 04-09-20 at 19:03.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm still stuck on why people care some much about the finish

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The only finish I would care about is a finish that wouldn't bubble up after a few mag dumps like Arsenal did during Akunionoperator 5k round challenge.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    If you really want to spend more on AK than Arsenal SLR you might as well go with RD. I'm sure Meridian is fine, but RD is more unique (as a rifle) and more recognizable by name.

One of the advantages (or disadvantages) of RD is that you get 14.5" P&W. That shortens a rifle a bit and you don't have to mess with the muzzle device afterwards. You'll probably see more difference (positive) with RD if suppressed.

I haven't paid attention to Arsenal in a few years. If people are concerned with the recent quality there must be a reason.

Feedback Score
    Delete.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 04-20-20 at 08:20.

Feedback Score
    I have three RD rifles - a preproduction 502 built on a Saiga 240, an Arsenal SLR-95 with their premium upgrade package that’s basically turned it into a 701M, and a custom ordered NATO AK built from a Arsenal SLR-106. I’ve used the 502 and the NATO AK in a couple carbine classes and they never failed to garner attention and questions. I used the NATO AK most recently in a Costa Ludus CET 1 class and Chris was really impressed with it, so much so that he was offering to trade for it. Lol

I’ve not handled a Meridian Defense AK but from what I have seen of them and from watching AKOU’s 5k test with one, they look to be GTG. That being said, I think I’d rather have another RD over Meridian simply for the reason that’s already been pointed out in this thread, and that’s that RD has been around for over a decade and has the name recognition and bravado. I know Jim isn’t with the company at all anymore and I myself questioned whether I would ever purchase another one of their guns because of this but honestly, I think they’d still be GTG. I believe toward the end, before he left, Jim was mainly just doing custom order rifles like the URD’s and I haven’t heard of RD having some big influx of letting guns out with QC issues so that tells me they likely have some quality craftsmen putting together rifles still there. Of course, Jim has started a new company with a to-be-announced new partner (likely Travis Haley) so if you wanted to get something from him you can still go that route.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast