Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rifle dynamic VS Meridian defense

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Don't know anything about Meridian, but Jim Fuller and Team at Rifle Dynamics build or work over an AK into a solid reliable weapon.

Feedback Score
    Delete.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 04-20-20 at 08:20.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRevolver77 View Post
    What? It's an AK, of course it's reliable.
    Right. If someone offers to do work to make your AK more reliable, then I'd really question what the services they're selling.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Right. If someone offers to do work to make your AK more reliable, then I'd really question what the services they're selling.
    And thats what I am now trying to figure out. Seeing everyone's replies, I am trying to figure out what makes these companies so different that makes them charge so much. Is it because they spend more time and attention on properly staking rivets? Making sure the action is cycling properly on the rails? Making sure everything is properly mounted straight/square? Do they use their own barrels that they designed for their specific application? Or do they all use part kits and build them from scratch?

I can justify myself with no regret to spend $2k on an AK if I knew what exactly these companies did differently than the others.

Feedback Score
    I posted a similar thread a couple of weeks ago on ARFCOM:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AK-47/Ga...er-/64-166448/

Everyone I spoke to, even a few outsiders, says you gain a little bit over the Galil, but I found it hard to cough up an extra grand over a Galil ACE if my intent is to just run a red dot. My hang up is still over a 16” RD vs Galil ACE. I ordered a Galil ACE pistol (8.5” barrel) with the intent of running it suppressed. I still want a 7.62x39 AK variant that I’ll run with a LPVO on top. The problem with the ACE is the rear sight does not flip down; you have to remove it or run your optic up high over the rear sight, necessitating the need for the ACE’s buttstock cheek riser. A side rail on the AK makes sense in this regard. Of course, I would run it suppressed as well.

I’m glad to see other vendors besides RD making a similar product. I’ll probably hit up Mesa Kinetic Research, as I definitely think an AK building class would be a lot of fun.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MadAngler1 View Post
    The problem with the ACE is the rear sight does not flip down; you have to remove it or run your optic up high over the rear sight, necessitating the need for the ACE’s buttstock cheek riser. A side rail on the AK makes sense in this regard. Of course, I would run it suppressed as well.
    I absolutely love the Galil Ace's cheek riser. It puts my cheek exactly where it needs to be for my optic. I can't think of another AKish rifle that provides a better cheek weld. I really like my Swiss Arms 55X rifles, but the one thing they're lacking is a good cheek weld. One of their cheek risers is $105 versus included or $11 for the Galil Ace. If, in theory, you're optic takes a crap on you, just remove the optic and cheek riser and you'll be able to use the Galil Ace irons.

Feedback Score
    Delete.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 04-20-20 at 08:19.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior1423 View Post
    And thats what I am now trying to figure out. Seeing everyone's replies, I am trying to figure out what makes these companies so different that makes them charge so much. Is it because they spend more time and attention on properly staking rivets? Making sure the action is cycling properly on the rails? Making sure everything is properly mounted straight/square? Do they use their own barrels that they designed for their specific application? Or do they all use part kits and build them from scratch?

I can justify myself with no regret to spend $2k on an AK if I knew what exactly these companies did differently than the others.
    May be a helpful article - https://www.recoilweb.com/preview-ri...s-74-6227.html

Another good article - https://howtobuyanak47.com/2016/11/09/larry-vickers/

If the gun is going to be used as a fighting gun and not just to have an AK (nothing wrong with that) I highly recommend the FSB/FGB combo like the Bolton block. One Of things Jim knew instinctively is that the gun is heavy and front heavy at that. By working with Lenny Bolton of Venom Tactical to combine the two into a battle ready part and cutting the barrel down to 14.5 with a pin and wend he dropped a full pound off the gun. I have a bolton block installed on one of non-sbr AK74 and the difference is night and day. Whomever you go with I would highly recommend this mod along with an ultimak & an aimpoint.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I absolutely love the Galil Ace's cheek riser. It puts my cheek exactly where it needs to be for my optic. I can't think of another AKish rifle that provides a better cheek weld. I really like my Swiss Arms 55X rifles, but the one thing they're lacking is a good cheek weld. One of their cheek risers is $105 versus included or $11 for the Galil Ace. If, in theory, you're optic takes a crap on you, just remove the optic and cheek riser and you'll be able to use the Galil Ace irons.
    Well that’s good to hear. Still waiting for my ACE to get to the dealer. I signed up for the Vickers AK class next March as well. I may still buy a full sized ACE.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior1423 View Post

By saying you’re trying to figure it out from the posts here, the answer is right in front of you. People buy a RD AK because it’s their main long gun or because they can, but more so because they can. Even if it’s their main rifle, they’re probably building it themselves or sending parts to a smaller shop. So really it’s for people who can spend the extra $1k and have a well-known, well-built rifle without any of the potential headache that comes from a bad WASR, Arsenal, or PSA. Anything RD is not fundamentally better than a WASR. There are like 2 barrel manufacturers turning out chrome-lined AK barrels if you’re not starting with a surplus barrel. Same for parts - either start with a kit or there are 2, maybe 3 manufacturers of quality parts and it varies even by the kind of part, e.g., Tapco triggers. RD and others are using the same parts; no one is making their own from scratch.

I am one of those people who will pay $1k more for something with the features I want out of the box, but one gun I refuse to pay that premium for is an AK. I do have Fuller sights on both my AKs and a Tapco trigger in one and ALG in the other. Those mods were necessary for me, but that’s $100 vs. $1000+.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234