Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rifle dynamic VS Meridian defense

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Rifle dynamic VS Meridian defense

Need some educated opinions on both options and which one would be a better buy.

Rifle dynamic:

RD Custom Front End
    14.5" barrel with 1/2x 28 tpi.
    PWS RD FSC muzzle device.
    Tuned Action - Rails, Bolt, Carrier & Trigger Group
    UltiMAK Scope rail
    Tango Down BG-AK Grip
    RD Tuned Trigger
    Fuller Rear Sight V2

Link for RD: https://rifledynamics.com/RD703

Meridian Defense:
    Mdc47 (ucr)

Complete Black nitride of the weapon system including barrel, bolt, carrier, and piston to increase wear-resistance, fatigue strength, corrosion resistance, & lubricity.
    Battlecomp 51T
    Tuned ALG trigger
    Ultimak forward Optic mount
    Tango Down Battle Grip
    KNS adjustable gas piston

Link for Meridian: https://meridiandefensecorp.com/mdc-47-ucr/

Just wondering between the 2. The meridian would be cheaper with more options. Looking for peoples opinions.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Never played with a meridian but the RD is a hell of a gun. But I don't think I would pay that much for an AK unless I was REALLY into AKs. I would add though that Jim Fuller is no longer with RD if you care. I have seen RD guns sold at a discount on the used market. I think the meridian will just be a nice custom built gun but will not be super smooth and gassed as well as the RD.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for the reply. I knew Jim fuller wasnt with RD anymore. It is a concern for me if their quality control and workmanship is just as good as when he was there. But ive also seen a post on AKfiles of them accusing Jim for "threatening" robski from akunionoperator youtube channel to never talk bad about RD. So that is concerning also because if he was so confident in his work, why be nervous about robski doing a review on RD aks?

The little information about both RD and meridian is from AKfiles and they give warning to buy "Gucci" aks like those 2 brands because they use American parts.

Its hard to know which Youtube person is giving a honest review of a weapon because you dont know what agreement they have with the manufacturer. It isn't uncommon for a manufacturer to give a weapon to a YouTube person for free in return of a great online review.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior1423 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I knew Jim fuller wasnt with RD anymore. It is a concern for me if their quality control and workmanship is just as good as when he was there. But ive also seen a post on AKfiles of them accusing Jim for "threatening" robski from akunionoperator youtube channel to never talk bad about RD. So that is concerning also because if he was so confident in his work, why be nervous about robski doing a review on RD aks?

The little information about both RD and meridian is from AKfiles and they give warning to buy "Gucci" aks like those 2 brands because they use American parts.

Its hard to know which Youtube person is giving a honest review of a weapon because you dont know what agreement they have with the manufacturer. It isn't uncommon for a manufacturer to give a weapon to a YouTube person for free in return of a great online review.
    AkFiles hates Jim and they generally dont like Gucci AKs. The AK world has had 100s of startups that were going to change the game. They were around for a year or 3 and then their gone. RD has stood the test of time probably because his prices were above that threshold. But Jim had a year wait for several years.

Billy Cho Left RD a few years back and is running Iron Born Armory. I would have him make me an AK in a heartbeat. Vincent Buckles who was the builder at Sons of Guns that had a clue and left halfway through the show owns Mesa Kinetic Research. I have seen his work and it is also excellent. Vickers is a big fan of Buckles does training with him. I have a gun I need redone and Vince is at the top of my list. Both those guys you could call up and tell them exactly what you want and they could build it for you far cheaper than an RD gun.
    Last edited by themonk; 04-08-20 at 14:08.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Awesome. Thank you for giving me a couple more options. I didn't know about either of those guys. I'll give Cho a call and see what he can do for me.

Feedback Score
    jahwarrior1423, Is this your first AK (not condescending, I'm asking because it's important to know in order to help)? Why have you've selected those as your two options? I'm an AK collecting whore. It doesn't take much at all for me to justify another purchase. That said, I just don't see the value. For that kind of money you can get all the exact parts you want and have an AK assembled exactly to your specifications by a very competent AK gunsmith. Please elaborate.

Feedback Score
    Gucci AK’s like RD and Meridian are usually very nice guns but way overpriced. You’ll generally get a better fit and finish but at best it’ll still run like and AK.

The down side is unlike most AK’s you’ll probably never get back what you put into it if you later choose to sell it. They almost always have a hard time moving on the secondary market.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I own an Arsenal 107fr

I dont have a real reason on why I am wanting an AK from either of those companies. I have always just read about RD and seen YouTube videos about RD and how theyre top notch and well tuned AKs. People always say you can't understand until you shoot a RD AK and can appreciate the quality and workmanship.

With meridian, there isn't much online for reviews. The videos ive seen on youtube don't talk specifics on why theyre so great.

I just want a well built quality long lasting AK. Ive never experienced a well tuned AK. Being that this is mainly an AR forum, people always recommend to buy quality ARs and/parts...buy once and cry once. So I am in the market for an AK that I can buy once and cry once.

I will admit that I am uneducated when it comes to AKs and what is considered quality. I believe Bulgarian and Romanian parts are considered top quality...but I could be wrong.

I once emailed RD years ago about sending in my 107fr for them to rework but it was half the cost of a new rifle from them...so I didnt do it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior1423 View Post
    I just want a well built quality long lasting AK.
    If you buy one with a chrome lined CHF barrel that's not too overgassed and is properly built, you will get the full life out of it. The thing is that even some of the least expensive factory built AK's fall in to this category.

Ive never experienced a well tuned AK.
    What specifically do you mean? AK's by their nature don't have the potential smoothness of an AR15. They're typically overgassed which can be mitigated by an adjustable gas piston or smaller gas port hole (during the build process). A trigger job or a good quality trigger can eliminate any slap that you might get. There are some triggers that might get close to what an AR15 trigger can be like, but I've never bothered.

Being that this is mainly an AR forum, people always recommend to buy quality ARs and/parts...buy once and cry once. So I am in the market for an AK that I can buy once and cry once.
    There are definitely things to avoid, such as cast trunnions, but it generally isn't required that you pay out the nose for most parts. Of course the days of inexpensive kits and factory rifles are past, but you can still build a good quality rifle for a reasonable amount.

I will admit that I am uneducated when it comes to AKs and what is considered quality. I believe Bulgarian and Romanian parts are considered top quality...but I could be wrong.
    Romanian are generally considered the lowest quality of the factory parts. That said, you can still build a good rifle out of them. The best rifles/parts are probably Russian, East German, Hungarian, Chinese, Bulgarian and then Romanian. But consider that a bad rifle can be built from good parts and a good rifle can be built from Romanian parts. I guess what I'm trying to say is that with an AR15, the quality generally equals the sum of the parts. It's not near as much that way with an AK.

I once emailed RD years ago about sending in my 107fr for them to rework but it was half the cost of a new rifle from them...so I didnt do it.
    What do you not like about your 107FR right now and what were they supposed to do to resolve the issues?

One more thing to keep in mind, you could in theory assemble an AK with the best quality barrel. However, most factory 7.62x39 ammo is capable of 2" groups at best and more likely around 3" groups. Unless you're going to reload 7.62x39, you're just not going to be able to achieve the accuracy that you might with an AR15.

If I was in your position and $1500 to spend on an AK (which I do), I'd buy a low use factory built rifle. It will hold it's value much better. That said, if there's a specific configuration you want built, there's nothing wrong with having one built.

Feedback Score
    Delete.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 04-20-20 at 08:23.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast