Thread: MK18-TYPE build handguard options - 9" BCM MCMR or the 9.5" Geissele MK14?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

MK18-TYPE build handguard options - 9" BCM MCMR or the 9.5" Geissele MK14?

So after running an 11.5" upper for many years it's time to rebarrel and I've decided to take this opportunity to shorten a bit to 10.3" and now have a rail decision to make.

I'm looking at the 9" BCM MCMR or the 9.5" Geissele MK14. I only run a 12 o'clock light and BUIS, so slim and thin is the goal with nothing side mounted and that's what is driving my decision.

This rifle runs suppressed 100% of the time with a Surefire flash hider/socom mini. I'm trying to get as little gap between the rail and suppressor as possible and I know the published lengths aren't enough to go by because they each use different barrel nut systems.

Anyone running either of these rails with a 10.3" barrel? Maybe with a can? Pictures would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

ETA - I mis-characterized this build as a MK18 when in fact it's a MK18-TYPE not meant to be a true clone. I also realized the 10" BCM rail would be too long and changed it to the 9". I have/like the BMC rails and would love to see a picture of the 9" MCMR with a 10.3" barrel and a suppressor (ideally a surefire mount). IF the spacing works, that would be my ideal choice.
    Last edited by Bluto; 04-12-20 at 11:10.

Feedback Score
    Take a look at the Cloud Defensive COR rails (2 versions). I have a v2 and it’s pretty solid and slim. Also can be found for possibly a little less than the other items you noted.

Feedback Score
    Also, the COR is 9.55” long, the MCMR-10 has this note on the BCM product data section: “Actual length when measured to flare is 10.5" “

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    So after running an 11.5" upper for many years it's time to rebarrel and I've decided to take this opportunity to shorten a bit to 10.3" and now have a rail decision to make.

I'm looking at the 10" BCM MCMR or the 9.5" Geissele MK14. I only run a 12 o'clock light and BUIS, so slim and thin is the goal with nothing side mounted and that's what is driving my decision.

This rifle runs suppressed 100% of the time with a Surefire flash hider/socom mini. I'm trying to get as little gap between the rail and suppressor as possible and I know the published lengths aren't enough to go by because they each use different barrel nut systems.

Anyone running either of these rails with a 10.3" barrel? Maybe with a can? Pictures would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!
    Sorry, but neither of those are a MK18 rail.... I know some people are going to say thats not the point, but I'll counter that by saying " MK18 build handguard options ..." is the title.

I'm not sure why you want to go shorter, but what is the difference between 10.3 and 10.5 when the build is going to have nothing to do with a MK18? Why not keep your eyes open to what you like, and just pick up whatever you think you would enjoy the most, and find most appealing?
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Sorry, but neither of those are a MK18 rail.... I know some people are going to say thats not the point, but I'll counter that by saying " MK18 build handguard options ..." is the title.

I'm not sure why you want to go shorter, but what is the difference between 10.3 and 10.5 when the build is going to have nothing to do with a MK18? Why not keep your eyes open to what you like, and just pick up whatever you think you would enjoy the most, and find most appealing?
    Yeah,I should not have used the "MK18" designation as it's not a clone. The genesis of this is that it's time to rebarrel and I would like to go a bit shorter. MK18, MK23455, all irrelevant to me really. Just looking for a slim, light weight m-lok rail that will leave as little gap between the rail and can as possible.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)