Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AR-15 Trigger....Single Stage or Two Stage

Feedback Score

AR-15 Trigger....Single Stage or Two Stage

I am in the process of building a mid-priced accuracy build. I am now to the point of deciding on a trigger. I know my first decision is whether to go with a single stage or a two stage trigger and that is what I can't make my mind up about. I want to use the rifle to shoot targets between one hundred and three hundred yards or so (limit of my local shooting range). But I also want to be able to go out and plink with it also from time to time. I would say that my ultimate use would be 50% target shooting and 50% plinking. With this in mind, should I lean toward a single stage or a two stage trigger? If I went with a single stage trigger with a three to three and a half pound trigger pull (Timney Impact, Elf ES, Rise 434, etc.), how much loss of potential accuracy will I loose over a similar style and model two stage trigger. I can get any of these single stage triggers for between $110 and $135 while a comparable two stage trigger will run about $170 to $200 (except for the LaRue MBT-2S for $80 and it has a fantastic reputation of being a good trigger). Given these parameters, should I lean toward the single stage or two stage trigger? Second, does anyone has a recommendation of a single stage trigger under $150 and/or a two stage trigger under $200? The single stage triggers I have in mind are: Timney Impact, Elf ES, Rise 434, and Velocity 3lbs. The two stage triggers I have in mind are: LaRue MBT-2S, Timney AR Targa, Geissele, Rock River Arms National Match. I quess to sum everything up, I realize that the two stage trigger is more aimed at being a precise shooting trigger than the single stage, but I have never had a gun with a two stage trigger. How much difference is this precision between the single and two stage triggers?

Feedback Score
    I’d look hard at a Geissele ssa/e. They’re pretty great for what you’re describing. Single vs two stage is mostly a personal preference thing, either is good.
    Last edited by warbow150; 04-08-20 at 19:59.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    You are asking the wrong question, the correct question is Geissele or LaRue.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    You are asking the wrong question, the correct question is Geissele or LaRue.
    This is mostly the correct answer in a question, particularly if looking at two stage.

If you just want to have a single stage, I have found the Hiperfire EDT2 Heavy Gunner to have a wonderful feel for dry fire (put it in a LaRue trigger chassis to smooth it out and get some trigger pull repetitions). Not sure it’s perfect for precision. I also have a little time behind a LaRue MBT-1S, but not enough to decide if I like it as much as the Heavy Gunner or relative to the outstanding LaRue and Geissele two stage options; mostly subjective, but I shot the MBT-1S offhand pretty well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here you go:

https://www.larue.com/products/larue...bt-2s-trigger/

You are gonna like the way it shoots. I prefer it over the single stage. But, here is the single stage:

https://www.larue.com/products/larue...bt-1s-trigger/

Eighty bucks for either of these triggers is a GREAT deal.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What type of underwear should you wear? Boxers? Briefs? Commando? Depends. Trigger type is what you prefer. For a crisp trigger with a very short break, I prefer a two stage. The standard AR trigger is a single stage with a long sear engagement. The long sear engagement is for safety. It prevents the sear from bouncing from rough handling, causing the weapon to fire. Shortening the sear engagement for a crisp break with minimal creep removes that level of safety. Some single stages with shortened sear engagements use a "half cock" notch to catch the hammer if it drops without the trigger being pulled.

Two stage triggers keep the long sear engagement but the first part of the travel is at a lower pull weight. Right before the break, pull weight increases, then breaks cleanly. The hammer of the Geissele trigger contacts the disconnect. The pressure of the disconnect spring gives the pull its final weight.

Try different triggers and get what you like best. Some like a two stage. Some don't. It's all a matter of what underwear you find the most comfortable.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 04-08-20 at 20:46.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I run G-SSA in all my guns. Nothing wrong with the E version, I just am used to the SSA so that's what I go with. Its in all my AR's except one that has a variant of the E version and I set that trigger off before I mean too because muscle memory. I have one Larue, but I'm a die hard G guy.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Brownells has their Geissele G2S-E two stage and GRF single stage triggers before this Covid-19 buying frenzy yiu could find them in the $120 range.

I have the G2S-E on my DMR and it works well for longer range precision shooting and does well for closer rapid fire engagements.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...TOMATICS%2bLLC

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I love my Geissele SSA. I would read up on their whole line of triggers, take your time for research. Different retailers run sales on various versions. I got mine directly from Geissele during a black Friday sale for around $160.00. I've seen some pretty good sales all through the year though at different online sites, you just have to have patience and keep checking. As far as one stage or two stage. I love my two stage but I can be just as happy with a single stage. Honestly, on at least my rifles, I never really had any complaints about my milspec triggers.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Here you go:

https://www.larue.com/products/larue...bt-2s-trigger/

You are gonna like the way it shoots. I prefer it over the single stage. But, here is the single stage:

https://www.larue.com/products/larue...bt-1s-trigger/

Eighty bucks for either of these triggers is a GREAT deal.
    ^^This (Larue) hands down^^

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast