Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AR-15 Trigger....Single Stage or Two Stage

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I own a SD-C and a SSA. While I love them both, I will not spend over twice as much on them after buying a Larue MBT.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    I own a SD-C and a SSA. While I love them both, I will not spend over twice as much on them after buying a Larue MBT.
    Geisseles have absolutely nothing over the LaRue. Even if they were priced identically, I'd buy LaRue.

Next 2 stage I buy for a Recce build I've got going will be a Wilson. This thread convinced me https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...40#post2813540

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    What type of underwear should you wear? Boxers? Briefs? Commando? Depends. Trigger type is what you prefer. For a crisp trigger with a very short break, I prefer a two stage. The standard AR trigger is a single stage with a long sear engagement. The long sear engagement is for safety. It prevents the sear from bouncing from rough handling, causing the weapon to fire. Shortening the sear engagement for a crisp break with minimal creep removes that level of safety. Some single stages with shortened sear engagements use a "half cock" notch to catch the hammer if it drops without the trigger being pulled.

Two stage triggers keep the long sear engagement but the first part of the travel is at a lower pull weight. Right before the break, pull weight increases, then breaks cleanly. The hammer of the Geissele trigger contacts the disconnect. The pressure of the disconnect spring gives the pull its final weight.

Try different triggers and get what you like best. Some like a two stage. Some don't. It's all a matter of what underwear you find the most comfortable.
    About to say the same thing, but you beat me to it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    No love for KAC 2-stage ..?

Feedback Score
    Concerning rifles... I prefer a single stage trigger on a combat weapon I might shoot on the move. Two stage would be acceptable on a rifle I would shoot primarily from a rest.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    No love for KAC 2-stage ..?
    I like the KAC 2 stage. It feels like a good Garand or M14 trigger which reset just after the second stage. The G trigger resets all the way back to the beginning of the first stage. However, the KAC doesn't break as clean as a G trigger and retails for more money. Mine came with a Colt lower I bought and for the money, th4 trigger was almost free.

js8588, you might wanna re-think that Wilson TTU. A popped primer getting down in the works will be a major PITA to dig out.

Quote Originally Posted by Colt Carson View Post
    Concerning rifles... I prefer a single stage trigger on a combat weapon I might shoot on the move. Two stage would be acceptable on a rifle I would shoot primarily from a rest.
    Why wouldn't you use a two stage on a combat rifle? They used two stage triggers on '03s, 03-A3s, Mausers, SMLEs, Garands, M-14s and other infantry rifles. The two stage was designed for hard combat use
    Last edited by MistWolf; 04-13-20 at 20:01.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    js8588, you might wanna re-think that Wilson TTU. A popped primer getting down in the works will be a major PITA to dig out.
    Could get a popped primer stuck in my gas key too. I still don't keep an extra BCG in my stock.

If I'm ever operating operationally (something horrible has happened at that point. I'm a suburban mattress store manager) & my rifle goes down, I'll switch over to my sidearm. If I survive long enough, I'll clean out my fcg at my leisure.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by js8588 View Post
    Could get a popped primer stuck in my gas key too. I still don't keep an extra BCG in my stock.

If I'm ever operating operationally (something horrible has happened at that point. I'm a suburban mattress store manager) & my rifle goes down, I'll switch over to my sidearm. If I survive long enough, I'll clean out my fcg at my leisure.
    This made me chuckle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by js8588 View Post

I also LOL'd

Feedback Score
    What type of underwear should you wear? Boxers? Briefs? Commando? Depends. Trigger type is what you prefer. For a crisp trigger with a very short break, I prefer a two stage. The standard AR trigger is a single stage with a long sear engagement. The long sear engagement is for safety. It prevents the sear from bouncing from rough handling, causing the weapon to fire. Shortening the sear engagement for a crisp break with minimal creep removes that level of safety. Some single stages with shortened sear engagements use a "half cock" notch to catch the hammer if it drops without the trigger being pulled.

Two stage triggers keep the long sear engagement but the first part of the travel is at a lower pull weight. Right before the break, pull weight increases, then breaks cleanly. The hammer of the Geissele trigger contacts the disconnect. The pressure of the disconnect spring gives the pull its final weight.

Try different triggers and get what you like best. Some like a two stage. Some don't. It's all a matter of what underwear you find the most comfortable.
    Great explanation.
    Thank you.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast