Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Technique is more important than having a short barrel

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ron, as someone who carried a short AUG 223 since 1991, the concept is grand, it's the mag change which is cumbersome. We did develop a roll the rifle right while shoulder, and strip the mag, but without daily practice was cumbersome. Short m4s, are ideal.

Was also issued a g-36 from 2006/2011, frankly found it difficult to manuver, had to peacock to pick up the sights. Stock was to long, rail for my body frame, to tall. Like anything, with extensive training, easily overcome. I asked routinely to go back to my m-4, felt it a much better tool for the entry role.

Just an informed oppinion, observation. We all do what we do.

O,yea, with the short AUG's, was no transitioning to left armed shooting, the brass on at least my rifle would plug you in the forehead, with volocity!. Hurt like hell, left dents on my forehead. I eventually transitioned into a short stint as an SRO, the Aug, in my opinion was the right tool for that job, could have taken my Colt Commando, another fine tool, " for me" the Aug was the best fit.

Retired 11 yrs now, I don't miss it. Hat tip to you, my brothers still in the business. Tough times for you guys. God bless each of you!.

Dirk

Feedback Score
    1168- Thanks for the well thought out post and the effort that went into it.

Ron3- I was a firm believer in the ‘we need shorter rifles’ camp. Now, while I still am an advocate of fielding SBRs, my reason has changed. Rather than simply wanting an uber-short rifle, I want an SBR so that when I put a suppressor on it it ends up being about ‘normal’ length. I find it is still workable, and I get the benefits of a suppressor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12