Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henry Big Boy X - Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)

Henry Big Boy X - Thoughts?

Curious if anyone here has gotten one of these yet.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/big-boy-x-model/

Been considering a .357 lever gun for a while, but I am not interested in a basic wood/steel "nostalgia gun", it better be able to mount an optic and light so I can actually get some use out of the thing in a pinch if needed.
    Previously Marlin seemed to be the only game in town, but apparently they have amazing QC...
    I hear good things about Henry though. And this thing seems to check a number of boxes reasonably well.

Still think they could have run the barrel to a full 18" and then run the ammo tube out a little more for some extra capacity... Or cut it to 16" if I'm going to suffer with 7 rounds, but... #boomers

Other than that...

Anyone have one of these yet? Hows the QC/reliability/accuracy, etc?

Anyone tried mounting a low-profile receiver-top pic rail on one of these, and which rail did you go with?
    Last edited by Jellybean; 04-09-20 at 16:36.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    .357 magnum carbines are great; I have two - 18" Marlin and 16" Rossi 92. My Dad has a Henry 30-30 and my niece a 22 and they are pretty happy with them.

I like lever action rifles, I just don't get the appeal of the "tactical" lever action.

The Henry .357 is pretty heavy (so are their 30-30s) and I agree they could have run the barrel and magazine out far enough for another round.

Andy

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I too am interested in any intel/information on these. I have been wanting a lever gun in 357 with a threaded barrel...that leaves this one and the Marlin as far as I know.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have a regular Big Boy in 45LC...It had a rough start, but it's ended up being a pretty nice rifle. It's kinda heavy, but it runs well and is pretty accurate.

I'm also in the market for a 357 lever, but I'm still leaning toward the Marlin CSBL. I think the XS lever rail w/ ghost ring sights plus a QD RDS is a superior setup to what you can do with the Henry. As far as I can tell, adding a rail to the Henry receiver blocks the irons. You can put a Skinner peep on the Henry receiver, but those generally require a taller front and don't allow easy RDS mounting.

I like the gate plus tube on the Henry, but I'd rather have the more versatile sighting setup on the Marlin. There is some lingering doubt about Marlin QC, but I've heard things are improved over there. Any my existing Big Boy did need a trip back to NJ for a new barrel for whatever that's worth...

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    I have a regular Big Boy in 45LC...It had a rough start, but it's ended up being a pretty nice rifle. It's kinda heavy, but it runs well and is pretty accurate.

I'm also in the market for a 357 lever, but I'm still leaning toward the Marlin CSBL. I think the XS lever rail w/ ghost ring sights plus a QD RDS is a superior setup to what you can do with the Henry. As far as I can tell, adding a rail to the Henry receiver blocks the irons. You can put a Skinner peep on the Henry receiver, but those generally require a taller front and don't allow easy RDS mounting.

I like the gate plus tube on the Henry, but I'd rather have the more versatile sighting setup on the Marlin. There is some lingering doubt about Marlin QC, but I've heard things are improved over there. Any my existing Big Boy did need a trip back to NJ for a new barrel for whatever that's worth...
    Heh... the 1894 CSBL was the exact Marlin model I was looking at originally for the same sighting reasons as you. But I've heard/seen some real horror stories about their QC, and for the price they want, like...no. That and I heckin HATE silver/chrome/etc guns. BUT, if their QC was GTG and they put a simple Mlok handguard on it, I would be able to look past it.

What happened with the barrel on your Henry?
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    Likely I will end up with either a Remlin or a hobby Rossi. The.357 has been calling to me for years, actually since the IMI Timberwolf.

The 18” barrel on the Henry was a disappointment and a puzzle. Comparing Henry’s and Marlins side by side, the Marlin feel/balance wins.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I wish we could influence Henry to license the Timberwolf from IMI and build it in the U.S. I think Remington's North Alabama plant will be on the market soon...

Andy

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    What happened with the barrel on your Henry?
    It had a ring of crazy tool marks near the muzzle. Shot terribly.

I received it as a gift, so I wasn't able to inspect it prior to taking possession.

Henry's customer service was fantastic, though. They took care of it no questions asked and had it back to me pretty quickly. New barrel is perfect and it shoots really nicely now.

But they let it out of the factory like that and I had to screw around with a return and shipping and all that noise...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kerplode; 04-14-20 at 12:48.

Feedback Score
    I have absolutely no need for one but man, I want a threaded lever gun so bad. Add a pic rail and a LVPO and that sounds fun as hell.

Feedback Score
    While I don’t have a real use case for it, I really want a lever action rifle. At this point, I’m torn between the Big Boy X and the Marlin 1894 CSBL as I really like the more classic look of the latter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast