Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tape, Webbing, Tubular Webbing+ materials = what is the difference and uses?

Feedback Score

Tape, Webbing, Tubular Webbing+ materials = what is the difference and uses?

So, I started looking at slings as I mentioned in my other thread. Now I see this and that that I'd like to change or do something different. I have a 3D printer and Nylon, so I can print my own plastic parts for custom stuff. I started looking at webbing.

What is the difference between Tape, webbing and tubular webbing. With the tubular, what is it specifically for? A hard insert? Padding?

On the material:
    Polyester
    Nylon
    PolyProp (cheapest?)
    Biothane covered

Found Strapworks online. It a good place?

Thanks
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    https://www.trivantage.com/webbing-tape-guide

I think tape may be what Proctor slings are made of.

Webbing is like M16/14/1 slings. Nylon, cotton, or other.

Tubular is very strong for load bearing, but any webbing that isn't total junk will be far stronger for a rifle sling than is needed or even wanted.

In my opinion, the only plus it has on a sling is not having an "edge" like regular webbing that can rub your neck, but that can be resolved by picking regular webbing that is softer(the term is escaping me, but I think it is called "hand".) Downsides are weight (like the weight of 2 slings in 1) and somewhat limited in widths the last time i looked.

Just noticed biothane. If you go someplace that sells blaze orange hunting dog collars that have a rubbery coating, that is biothane or something close to it. That style of webbing can have different textures to it ranging from slick to grabby. Galco makes or made a biothane belt. Turner Saddlery is a sling that comes to mind.

https://turnersling.com/national-mat...her-sling-aws/

Last edited by jsbhike; 04-09-20 at 20:40.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Nylon and textile materials

Tape is generally for trim or fabric reinforcement. Webbing is for straps and for durability and strength. Tubular webbing is for strength but not much elasticity (stretch).

This is a link to the FAA Parachute Rigger's Manual. Chapter 3 is on rigging materials and starts with an overview of fabrics, tape, and webbing:
    https://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...rh_change1.pdf

Polyester is generally resistant to sun exposure (UV light). Nylon is a balance for strength-to-weight. Polypro is good for SCUBA stuff (wet and salt exposure) but not so good for life support applications (parachute air items).

Feedback Score
    Thanks those are great resources.

What is the best online place for webbing materials?

Could have done without the hairy leg pictures...
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    LoL I'll cover up next time.

I have only bought webbing from ebay vendors which seemed to be the best deal if only needing a few yards at a time or sometimes you will find a really good deal where someone bought a spool and only used part of it.

Never really looked at webbing, but this place always had good deals on fabric.

http://www.owfinc.com

Feedback Score
    You'll need to look into commercial grade lockstitch sewing machines.
    Single needle with reverse, single needle walking foot with reverse, These usually Priced as 2 separate items the Head(part that does the actual sewing) and the table(usually includes the motor).

Maybe even a Bartack machine expensive, mine was around $4000.00 new.

Avoids having to do 3 point or box x pattern on webbing.

This hobby gets expensive, You'll find yourself making all your own gear bags, range bags etc.
    I had 5? machines at one time.

A good source "The Parachute Manual vol. I and II" by Dan Poynter for sewing info, mainly for Rigger but also for general knowledge

Owfinc.com is awesome to deal with, although its been awhile.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    You don’t need a commercial machine to make a sling. Look up a Singer 4423. It’ll do just about everything you need to do with the right needle and thread. I’ve done everything from silnylon for outdoor gear (tarps, stuff bags, ect) to cordura/webbing projects...I’m in the process of making my own sling based on the SOB B-Sling.

Feedback Score
    True, depends on how far the OP wishes to take this.

My Statement comes from my experience working for Parachute manufacturer, branching off to make all my own gear, (this was along time ago).

This evolved into Custom Sewn gear for clients, Including Ski Guide, Patrollers, prototyping for various Major Manufactures, Also Modifying or custom building Load bearing Climbing gear for Clients. With the appropriate destructive testing & strength ratings. I still have former clients from around the US asking me to customize or build stuff.

You'd be amazed what some people try to use a sling for or the wrong webbing in general.

I agree that for Personal use projects a home machine will suffice. If that's all the OP wishes to do.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    A simple (old) straight-stitch industrial (with real steel gears and a motor that can push start your car) can take you a long, long way.

Check your local craigslist for industrial sewing machines. A Singer 31-15 or Consew 18 can do maybe 90% of what you want to do for simple gear. I got mine for around $350. I just saw one for $150, complete with table, but it was only listed for a few days at that price.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    A simple (old) straight-stitch industrial (with real steel gears and a motor that can push start your car) can take you a long, long way.....
    This^

My Neighbor had a old consew single needle/with reverse(non walking foot)in storage she gave it away..LOL
    Didn't fit her needs, she upgraded...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast