Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 380 ACP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

380 ACP

I carry one of two pistols, a Glock 19 and a Ruger LCP.

I feel I have a handle on 9mm and carry 124 gr GDHP.

I am less comfortable with ammo selection in the LCP. I am reluctant to buy enough JHP to have confidence the LCP will run them when my understanding is the JHP rounds don't really expand reliably. I have simply been carrying ball, which the LCP feeds and fires without issue.

Am I really that far off base using FMJ in the 380?

Andy

P.S. I am a civilian living in a low crime area without any interesting habits that would cause me to frequent dangerous establishments. I primarily carry to/at/from the range and when I travel. I only carry the LCP when concealing the G19 is impractical but shoot it quite a bit. Home defense is not a use case for the LCP.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Our only Dept authorized .380 carry ammo is Speer 90g TMJ due to reliability and ability to (barely) reach minimum penetration depth. This is after extensive testing in the LCP, Bodyguard, and G42 with all major loads.

While a useless accomplishment, I can make consistent hits at 50Y on 10" steel with my LCP and Speer TMJ.
    I guess my point being it's all about good hits or I guess really any hits with a .380.

Dennis.

PS. I only carry the LCP as a backup to my G19 off duty or as a tertiary gun on duty ;-)

Feedback Score
    Definitely FMJ. It seems 380 HP expand well but penetration is minimal at best. I run Lehigh Defense 90g Xtreme Penetrator in my three 380's. IMO, they give the needed penetration & also the terminal performance desired. The caveat (as always) is to make sure your firearm will function reliably with them. They have a unique nose profile some guns may not like.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta-3 View Post
    Definitely FMJ. It seems 380 HP expand well but penetration is minimal at best. I run Lehigh Defense 90g Xtreme Penetrator in my three 380's. IMO, they give the needed penetration & also the terminal performance desired. The caveat (as always) is to make sure your firearm will function reliably with them. They have a unique nose profile some guns may not like.
    People do seem to be hot and slobbery of that stuff. It seems like they might be a notch above a conventional FMJ.

Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    People do seem to be hot and slobbery of that stuff. It seems like they might be a notch above a conventional FMJ.
    This is basically my view on it. You'll get some people who have used it (whether on gel or meat) who say it's a glorified, gimmicky, and overly expensive FMJ.

Then you have the people who drank all of Lehigh's marketing Kool-Aid and say that it's the next big thing in projectile design. They state it creates a PWC that blows any premium JHP on the market out of the water even through barriers. Lehigh's website even claims their their .380 Xtreme Defender bullets (similar, but with narrower flutes, lighter weight, and greater velocity) match the wounding potential of a 5.56 rifle.

Me? I suspect the truth is somewhere in between. Based on what I've seen of it across multiple test formats and reading anecdotes from end users, I would basically treat it as a lightweight, high-velocity, lead-free analogue of non-FMJ solid bullets like hardcast FN or SWC. More aggressive nose geometry than a round-nosed FMJ meaning it could potentially disrupt more tissue, while also less "finicky" than a JHP. I suppose one could argue for a few niches where these characteristics might be the right answer: mouse guns, trail carry, bans on expanding ammo, etc.

Feedback Score
    My wife and I each have a Ruger LCP. It is the only handgun I can slip into the front pocket of a pair of soft summertime shorts (i.e. no belt, just elastic waistband) without it looking like I have a huge hard-on or am just really happy to see you! It certainly isn't my preference but I have to reluctantly admit the ease of sliding it into my pocket for a run to the Dollar General or gas station in July is hard to beat. As they say, it's better than calling for help!

All that said, I lean towards the Precision One 90gr XTP load. That's the one ShootingTheBull recommends. It is the only Hornady made bullet I will use in a handgun (because Hornady handgun bullets generally suck at expansion, but ironically that's why I use this round). Decent penetration and a little expansion, which is about the best combo you can get in .380 ACP.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Safton View Post
    Lehigh's website even claims their their .380 Xtreme Defender bullets (similar, but with narrower flutes, lighter weight, and greater velocity) match the wounding potential of a 5.56 rifle.
    What?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Our only Dept authorized .380 carry ammo is Speer 90g TMJ due to reliability and ability to (barely) reach minimum penetration depth. This is after extensive testing in the LCP, Bodyguard, and G42 with all major loads.

While a useless accomplishment, I can make consistent hits at 50Y on 10" steel with my LCP and Speer TMJ.
    I guess my point being it's all about good hits or I guess really any hits with a .380.

Dennis.

PS. I only carry the LCP as a backup to my G19 off duty or as a tertiary gun on duty ;-)
    Not useless at all. While rare long range pistol gun fights do happen from time to time.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Dennis.

Not useless at all. Shotplacement wins gun fights and if you can hit that well you are going to do even better up close.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Dennis.

I had to look up tertiary

Andy

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast