Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 380 ACP

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt Carson View Post
    My problem with FMJ for self defense is that (to my knowledge) the ammunition is for plinking. I don’t believe it is a quality cartridge like HSTs or Gold Dots. I think the manufacturers are more concerned with quality control of self defense ammunition. One aspect of self defense ammunition is that often the primer has sealant applied to prevent contamination. Just something to consider.
    I get what you're saying and there might be some truth to it. On the other hand, you don't shoot nearly as much Winchester JHP as you do Win whitebox, so the sample size is skewed.

Speer Lawman, in my opinion, is duty-grade FMJ. If I was carrying FMJ in a .380, that's what I'd carry.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt Carson View Post
    My problem with FMJ for self defense is that (to my knowledge) the ammunition is for plinking. I don’t believe it is a quality cartridge like HSTs or Gold Dots. I think the manufacturers are more concerned with quality control of self defense ammunition. One aspect of self defense ammunition is that often the primer has sealant applied to prevent contamination. Just something to consider.
    That's an excellent point, and not just for 380. All my factory ammo QC issues have been 9mm FMJ.

I'm carrying Geco 380 ball in the belief that European ammo is good quality.

Andy

Feedback Score
    On the rare occasion I carry a 380, it is always loaded with Lehigh defense/Underwood bullets. They feed & function in all my 380's & 32's. If they work as advertised and I believe they do, then I get the best of both worlds. Deep penetration & tissue disruption on par with the best hollow points.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Black Hills is known for top quality ammunition I believe.

http://www.black-hills.com/shop/hone...-automatic-hb/

Feedback Score
    https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...9VRjmFqlwOS0Us
    Not sure if this link will work... Richard Mann has done much research and writing concerning ammunition and ballistics
    Last edited by Colt Carson; 10-03-20 at 12:05.

Feedback Score
    I use the Precision One .380 loaded with the 90gr Hornady JHP.

https://precisiononeammunition.com/p...xtp-new-50rds/
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Safton View Post
    Lehigh's website even claims their their .380 Xtreme Defender bullets (similar, but with narrower flutes, lighter weight, and greater velocity) match the wounding potential of a 5.56 rifle.
    What?

Feedback Score
    IMO these days the main purpose of JHP's in common handgun rounds is to
    reduce hazzardous over-penetration.

So if a bullet is likely to surpass 18-20 inches in ballistics gelatin that's when to use JHP's. Otherwise use flat-nose or ball.

For .380, .38 Special from a short barrel, and less powerfull ammo flat or round nose ammo is what I load.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post

So if a bullet is likely to surpass 18-20 inches in ballistics gelatin that's when to use JHP's. Otherwise use flat-nose or ball.

For .380, .38 Special from a short barrel, and less powerfull ammo flat or round nose ammo is what I load.
    I disagree the main purpose in my opinion is to increase wounding potential with JHP's. That is also the reason people are buying them.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post

Definitely not the main purpose, but sometimes an added benefit. A JHP round that fails to expand/gets clogged is as bad or worse than FMJ for penetration.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast