Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 380 ACP

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I had to look up tertiary

Andy
    To probably just me, "Tertiary" sounds more technical and less paranoid than "Third".

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    To probably just me, "Tertiary" sounds more technical and less paranoid than "Third".

Dennis.
    Now do quaternary!
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Now do quaternary!
    When I worked lower profile investigations without external armor I kept an LCP in each front pocket so I could look casual standing around with my hands in my pockets...

"Quatenary" definitely sounds less paranoid than "fourth gun". How about "quinary" when a long gun is deployed??

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta-3 View Post
    Definitely FMJ. It seems 380 HP expand well but penetration is minimal at best. I run Lehigh Defense 90g Xtreme Penetrator in my three 380's. IMO, they give the needed penetration & also the terminal performance desired. The caveat (as always) is to make sure your firearm will function reliably with them. They have a unique nose profile some guns may not like.
    People do seem to be hot and slobbery of that stuff. It seems like they might be a notch above a conventional FMJ.

Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    People do seem to be hot and slobbery of that stuff. It seems like they might be a notch above a conventional FMJ.
    This is basically my view on it. You'll get some people who have used it (whether on gel or meat) who say it's a glorified, gimmicky, and overly expensive FMJ.

Then you have the people who drank all of Lehigh's marketing Kool-Aid and say that it's the next big thing in projectile design. They state it creates a PWC that blows any premium JHP on the market out of the water even through barriers. Lehigh's website even claims their their .380 Xtreme Defender bullets (similar, but with narrower flutes, lighter weight, and greater velocity) match the wounding potential of a 5.56 rifle.

Me? I suspect the truth is somewhere in between. Based on what I've seen of it across multiple test formats and reading anecdotes from end users, I would basically treat it as a lightweight, high-velocity, lead-free analogue of non-FMJ solid bullets like hardcast FN or SWC. More aggressive nose geometry than a round-nosed FMJ meaning it could potentially disrupt more tissue, while also less "finicky" than a JHP. I suppose one could argue for a few niches where these characteristics might be the right answer: mouse guns, trail carry, bans on expanding ammo, etc.

Feedback Score
    My wife and I each have a Ruger LCP. It is the only handgun I can slip into the front pocket of a pair of soft summertime shorts (i.e. no belt, just elastic waistband) without it looking like I have a huge hard-on or am just really happy to see you! It certainly isn't my preference but I have to reluctantly admit the ease of sliding it into my pocket for a run to the Dollar General or gas station in July is hard to beat. As they say, it's better than calling for help!

All that said, I lean towards the Precision One 90gr XTP load. That's the one ShootingTheBull recommends. It is the only Hornady made bullet I will use in a handgun (because Hornady handgun bullets generally suck at expansion, but ironically that's why I use this round). Decent penetration and a little expansion, which is about the best combo you can get in .380 ACP.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    When having to dress up I carry a LCP. It's the only gun closest to 9mm that I can drop into dress pants pocket without being obvious. I carry FMJ

Feedback Score
    What I do like about .380 from a short barrel is, like .38 Special from a short barrel, it meets the old threshold of "12 inches in calibrated gelatin" bare or clothed.

.32 acp is borderline at that unless the FMJ bullet is fired from a longer barrel from a fairly warm load. (I.e. weaker loads are 750 fps from a 2.5 inch barrel, hotter loads are 975 fps from a 3.8 inch)

.22lr and .25 acp are below that standard from pocket-gun barrels, of course.

I have a Tomcat .32 that I've got some confidence in now. (Reliability) the big thing it provides over my Jetfire isnt so much caliber but the double-action. Would prefer a Bobcat .25 (9+1) but they haven't been reliable enough for me.

What I dont like about .380 pocket guns is the recoil, recoil combined with the tiny grip, lower capacity, and normally DAO or striker fired operation
    Last edited by Ron3; 04-11-20 at 09:52.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    For 380 FMJ, I prefer the WWB stuff with the flat nose...Seems like it would disrupt more tissue than a round nose.

Maybe have a look at the new Federal Hydra Shok Deep. It's supposed to be able to meet 12" min in bare gel and through heavy clothing.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I like the Speer Gold Dot 90g JHP load. Ammo Quest made a video of ballistic gelatin testing and it appears to have decent penetration for the caliber.

I've killed quite a few raccoons and a few opossums around the barn with the cartridge.
    Last edited by T2C; 04-14-20 at 17:43.
    Train 2 Win

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast