Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 380 ACP

Feedback Score
    When they slow down they often rotate and go base-foreward, effectively turning into a wadcutter. (At least in various testing I've seen/read)

If the bullet goes through a vital blood passage or vital nervous system parts, it works fine. Story of every pistol bullet.

As it did on the drug dealer recently referenced.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    . I'm still thinking perhaps a semi wadcutter design might be the best balance between the unreliable JHP and the small wound track etc of the FMJ.
    I agree.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've also seen .357 Magnum that killed a home invader. 158 grain JHPs, they were. Six inch barrel. Both looked not mushroomy at all, more beat up than anything else. The one in the shoulder did not exit, but broke into 2 pieces and a shred of jacket. The other in the skull stayed together but shed some jacket. It did not exit either.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    I've also seen .357 Magnum that killed a home invader. 158 grain JHPs, they were. Six inch barrel. Both looked not mushroomy at all, more beat up than anything else. The one in the shoulder did not exit, but broke into 2 pieces and a shred of jacket. The other in the skull stayed together but shed some jacket. It did not exit either.
    You Sir, have laid waste to an unfathomable number of potential threads about the unbelievable penetration/overpenetration of the vaunted .357Mag 158JHP for "Woods Carry". Well, maybe not, probably a different audience than what we have here.

Keith

Feedback Score
    If I owned a 380 and relied on it for personal defense, I'd load Underwood, or some type of FMJ.

Gotta have penetration first.

Expanding 380 ammo doesn't dig deep enough to give me confidence.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith E. View Post
    You Sir, have laid waste to an unfathomable number of potential threads about the unbelievable penetration/overpenetration of the vaunted .357Mag 158JHP for "Woods Carry". Well, maybe not, probably a different audience than what we have here.

Keith
    The testing I've seen normally shows 158 sjhp's mushroom well and not over penetrate. Pretty much ideal performance from simple bullets. Coming from a 6 inch barrel at close range I'd expect less penetration and more weight loss.

I always thought solids and soft points were the way to go in the woods with .357.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith E. View Post

Keith
    Yeah, I'm not sure what exactly "woods carry" requires. All my carrying has been done in the Big City, where gangstas are more prevalent than bears, and the cougars are ladies past their prime but still hot.

And all my examination of things shot has, unfortunately, been of people.

That said, if I carried my 686 in the woods, I'd probably load 158 grain SWC.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Our only Dept authorized .380 carry ammo is Speer 90g TMJ due to reliability and ability to (barely) reach minimum penetration depth. This is after extensive testing in the LCP, Bodyguard, and G42 with all major loads.

While a useless accomplishment, I can make consistent hits at 50Y on 10" steel with my LCP and Speer TMJ.
    I guess my point being it's all about good hits or I guess really any hits with a .380.

Dennis.

PS. I only carry the LCP as a backup to my G19 off duty or as a tertiary gun on duty ;-)
    Not useless at all. While rare long range pistol gun fights do happen from time to time.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    My problem with FMJ for self defense is that (to my knowledge) the ammunition is for plinking. I don’t believe it is a quality cartridge like HSTs or Gold Dots. I think the manufacturers are more concerned with quality control of self defense ammunition. One aspect of self defense ammunition is that often the primer has sealant applied to prevent contamination. Just something to consider.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    In GSWs that I’ve seen, .380 rarely expands, and when it does, it penetrates poorly. Of course, most shootings happen with garbage ammo. XTP’s do well in jello, so thats what I carry when I carry .380. Worst case, it behaves as a FMJ flat point. Best case, it expands slightly.
    When I carry a .380, which I don't have currently, it's always loaded with XTPs and a backup mag of FMJ just for peace of mind, I guess. It penetrates consistently and at least there's the possibility of some expansion. That said, if a company like Buffalo Bore came out with a 95-100 gr LSWC, I'd carry that in a heartbeat.

It seems to me that .380 bullets didn't keep up with the proliferation of .380 guns.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast