Thread: 380 ACP

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kels View Post
    After reading thru this thread
    I would like to say well done to all the posters
    Everyone has had good posts and no one has gotten mad
    at someone else’s posts

Right now, I have critical defense in my beretta 84 BB.
    I’m willing to consider a better round if someone can convince me of the need to change

When ammo prices come down, I am going to try the Speer fmj
    I went and looked at Lucky Gunner's ammo tests and the 380 Critical Defense actually passed their 4 layer denim test. Average expansion was .52 and average penetration was 13.2 inches. Only caveat is they use the clear ballistics synthetic gel which isn't a true replacement for actual gel. That being said, that might be a 380 hollow point that Id actually carry. Ill see if I can find any more testing.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kels View Post
    After reading thru this thread
    I would like to say well done to all the posters
    Everyone has had good posts and no one has gotten mad
    at someone else’s posts

Right now, I have critical defense in my beretta 84 BB.
    I’m willing to consider a better round if someone can convince me of the need to change

When ammo prices come down, I am going to try the Speer fmj
    The only JHP I'd consider is XTP, but I'd still choose FMJ in .380.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    The only JHP I'd consider is XTP, but I'd still choose FMJ in .380.
    Yup, that's my assessment too, but friends don't let friends CCW .380.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Beats throwing rocks.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nobody can prove the "larger wound channel" theory of incapacitation. MEs can't tell from looking at the wound channel what made it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Nobody can prove the "larger wound channel" theory of incapacitation. MEs can't tell from looking at the wound channel what made it.
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    My friends can't stop me from carrying my Beretta M81FS .32. 😎

I'm not sure I mentioned it but my 2018 Beretta Tomcat Inox (with wide slide) .32 cracked its frame. (As they are known to do) But it worked fine and achieved perfect reliability for a few hundred rounds. I was just about to declare it carry-ready when the slide broke and the gun was dead.

Beretta replaced it. I sold it without firing it.

Meanwhile my Kel-tec P32 runs perfectly after double the round count and Bobcat .25's have also proven reliable after break-in.

Just an aside.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    My friends can't stop me from carrying my Beretta M81FS .32. 😎

I'm not sure I mentioned it but my 2018 Beretta Tomcat Inox (with wide slide) .32 cracked its frame. (As they are known to do) But it worked fine and achieved perfect reliability for a few hundred rounds. I was just about to declare it carry-ready when the slide broke and the gun was dead.

Beretta replaced it. I sold it without firing it.

Meanwhile my Kel-tec P32 runs perfectly after double the round count and Bobcat .25's have also proven reliable after break-in.

Just an aside.
    Reliability is paramount, for certain. The 6 round mag supplied with my LCP was not 100%, but the Ruger 7 rd. mags I picked up on sale were. Ruger sent me a second 6 round mag when I called and it worked fine. All the magazines are 100% with ball now that I ran a few boxes of ammunition through the pistol. I guess I needed to "break in" the pistol for the original mag to work.

I was not really interested in buying enough pricey 20-25 rd boxes of hollow points to thoroughly test it before the ammo drought, and refuse to do it now. The performance benefit of HP over ball doesn't justify it in my opinion.

My LCP runs fine with ball and I have enough ammo on hand to famiiarize myself with it occasionally.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 05-11-21 at 22:38.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Reliability is paramount, for certain. The 6 round mag supplied with my LCP was not 100%, but the Ruger 7 rd. mags I picked up on sale were. Ruger sent me a second 6 round mag when I called and it worked fine. All the magazines are 100% with ball now that I ran a few boxes of ammunition through the pistol. I guess I needed to "break in" the pistol for the original mag to work.

I was not really interested in buying enough pricey 20-25 rd boxes of hollow points to thoroughly test it before the ammo drought, and refuse to do it now. The performance benefit of HP over ball doesn't justify it in my opinion.

My LCP runs fine with ball and I have enough ammo on hand to famiiarize myself with it occasionally.

Andy
    How many rounds can you fire in a session before it hurts?

I recall about 50 rds was all I wanted from a pocket locked-breech .380. Not pleasant at all and by round 20 gets pretty annoying. A glove helps.

That's something I really like about the LCR .327, (firing .32 Longs) the P32 .32, and Beretta .25's. Can fire them as long as i have ammo.

The Glock 42 is very pleasant to fire. But slightly big for a pocket and not quite reliable enough.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    How many rounds can you fire in a session before it hurts?

I recall about 50 rds was all I wanted from a pocket locked-breech .380. Not pleasant at all and by round 20 gets pretty annoying. A glove helps.

That's something I really like about the LCR .327, (firing .32 Longs) the P32 .32, and Beretta .25's. Can fire them as long as i have ammo.

The Glock 42 is very pleasant to fire. But slightly big for a pocket and not quite reliable enough.
    I guess I can shoot a box of 50 without any real issues. Once reliability was established, I doubt if I have fired more than a couple magazines through it per range session.

It has never really bothered me much, other than being tiny to hold on to. At the same time, I don't shoot it for fun to be sure.

Andy

P.S. My philosophy of use means the LCP II kind of baffles me. Its a much better range pistol than the LCP without a doubt, but who wants a tiny .380 range pistol? My "2nd Gen" LCP has slightly bigger sights and slightly better trigger than the original, but it kept its pocket/belly gun heritage intact.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 05-14-21 at 22:53.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Watch LCP mag springs. Mine stayed loaded up for about 3 years. When I shot it, it worked fine but no slide hold open. A call to Wolff cured it.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast