Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Transonic bullets... what is actually going on here??

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Yep. That's a cool thing to accomplish for a new guy. I remember being in amazement at a 500 yard hit.
    Many years ago before I owned or had even shot a centerfire rifle I was privileged to go to the range with an acquaintance and shoot his Sako in .338 lapua. We were shooting head sized targets at 450 yards. It blew.my.mind. This is hilarious to me now.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmd08 View Post
    Many years ago before I owned or had even shot a centerfire rifle I was privileged to go to the range with an acquaintance and shoot his Sako in .338 lapua. We were shooting head sized targets at 450 yards. It blew.my.mind. This is hilarious to me now.
    Yeah. We have a center flapper on our 750 yard target. It's about 6 inches or so. It's still a thrill to watch that pop when you hit it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post

69+gr 5.56 from a 14.5" barrel will get you to 1k.
    The biggest issue with extended range and 5.56 is compensating for wind effect, and being able to spot that teeny little puff of dirt for misses.
    Drop charts are fine, but in a match you need to have a fast reference for exactly what you're shooting. There are a lot of solutions for that, but you will be better off if you can see the board from behind the optic. Write down each target in a sequence that makes sense to you with the hold or adjustment needed as predicted by your ballistic calculator or Kestrel.
    The matches I shoot are pretty friendly, so if one person has a laser range finder the data is usually handed out. With the accurate distances I will make try and memorize my holds really quick before the stage. My Steiner has a really simple reticle so I dont find memorizing it very hard. I am using Strelok Pro as a ballistic calculator and have tried to iron out the variables as much as possible. I have accurate humidity, elevation, and pressure, and BC's pre loaded. The only variable I am kinda guessing on is velocities. I have chrono'ed the gun one time at 2850 with 55gr American Eagle, so I use that as my baseline for .223 pressure 55grs. Do you think real 556 pressure 55gr would hit 3000 FPS from this barrel? As I stated in my earlier post I have 223 pressure 77grs on hand but the rifle isn't zero'd for them and I think they only make 2450 FPS based on the research I did.

My other option is to haul my 6.5 CM AR. This match limits shooters to 20 rounds per stage with 5 to 6 stages. I just dont have 120 rounds spare for the 6.5. I could chance it and show up with less ammo, but possibly have a better experience cause I would be flying real rounds at that point? I have ran out of ammo at a match in the past though and it was a terrible feeling.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    The matches I shoot are pretty friendly, so if one person has a laser range finder the data is usually handed out. With the accurate distances I will make try and memorize my holds really quick before the stage. My Steiner has a really simple reticle so I dont find memorizing it very hard. I am using Strelok Pro as a ballistic calculator and have tried to iron out the variables as much as possible. I have accurate humidity, elevation, and pressure, and BC's pre loaded. The only variable I am kinda guessing on is velocities. I have chrono'ed the gun one time at 2850 with 55gr American Eagle, so I use that as my baseline for .223 pressure 55grs. Do you think real 556 pressure 55gr would hit 3000 FPS from this barrel? As I stated in my earlier post I have 223 pressure 77grs on hand but the rifle isn't zero'd for them and I think they only make 2450 FPS based on the research I did.

My other option is to haul my 6.5 CM AR. This match limits shooters to 20 rounds per stage with 5 to 6 stages. I just dont have 120 rounds spare for the 6.5. I could chance it and show up with less ammo, but possibly have a better experience cause I would be flying real rounds at that point? I have ran out of ammo at a match in the past though and it was a terrible feeling.
    I'd rather be shooting at 500+ with 77gr than 55gr. Velocity is a thing, but the 77s do so much better in general at longer range, both for general precision and wind deflection.
    You can roughly backward extrapolate MV by tracking actual drop at a confirmed distance in relation to a verified point of impact at 100+ yards with a decent BC educated guess. Lots of dudes manipulate MV based off of claimed BC during truing and still do well in long range competitions. I have a magnetospeed, and I have proven that it is well within 10ft/s of truth, so I won't mess with MV, and rather manipulate the BC input to true.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Hey I appreciate everyone's contribution to this thread. My match is tomorrow, but I was able to secure enough creedmoor from bass pro, so I no longer have to worry about flying 55gr. Im pretty excited as this is my first time shooting my MSR10 in a match. I will post the AAR in the MSR10 thread that I started. I think the gun is finally ironed out.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    The match gunner of the Faxon Firearms team used a Steiner P4xi to record some of the best times in the sport this year. The P4xi is an air gun designed for use at long-distance shooting events. It uses a 1:8 P&W match barrel and is choreographed at the peak of 2850 FPS using American Eagle 55gr ammunition. The result is a rifle that can shoot holes at incredible distances but still packs a punch when it comes to close-quarters shooting. Also, I tried to use 45 Auto, which is compatible with it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123