Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Single stack USPSA

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    FE7C02A9-5D8F-4B90-8A39-AFD1E72F17F3.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by extremist View Post
    You can, but only as MINOR. No MAJOR if it's not a .45

.38 Super Major is only an option for OPEN Division.
    Not so, plenty of guys using .40 S&W for SS Major. Never seen anyone use .38 Super at a match outside of Open division...but am unaware of it being excluded from any other divisions. It would be scored Minor in SS.
    Last edited by TCB; 04-20-20 at 19:17.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    FE7C02A9-5D8F-4B90-8A39-AFD1E72F17F3.jpg

Not so, plenty of guys using .40 S&W for SS Major. Never seen anyone use .38 Super at a match outside of Open division...but am unaware of it being excluded from any other divisions. I would it would be scored Minor in SS.
    Sorry you are correct, I haven't seen many .40 SS shooters myself.

Interesting that you can shoot .40 / .357Sig for Major, but you can't shoot .38 Super Major in SS? Don't get that.

RULEBOOK:

APPENDIX D5 –Single-Stack Division
    1 Minimum power factor for Major 165
    2 Minimum power factor for Minor 125
    3 Minimum bullet weight No
    4 Minimum bullet caliber/cartridge case length .38 cal. / 9x19 mm (0.354” x 0.748”)
    5 Minimum bullet caliber for Major .40 cal. / 10mm (0.40”)/ .357 SIG

.357 Sig bullets are typically .355.
    .38 Super bullets are typically .356

Should be able to shoot .38 Super Major in SS but you can't. Rules make no sense.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The guys who shoot SS w .40 typically also have / shoot a .40 2011 in Ltd, 1 load = 2 divisions. .38 Super only being scored Minor probably has more to do with magazine capacity than PF. 10mm, .40S&W & .357 Sig all have basically the same size case at the rim and you can only reliably fit 8 in a typical 1911 magazine where .38 Super is basically the same as 9mm and you can get 10 in a a typical magazine. Major is limited to 8 in the magazine at the start and the temptation for stuffing an extra round or two in with .38 Super may be to much for some to resist and hard for an RO to track...so it’s relegated to Minor regardless of PF.
    Last edited by TCB; 04-20-20 at 19:16.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    The guys who shoot SS w .40 typically also have / shoot a .40 2011 in Ltd, 1 load = 2 divisions. .38 Super only being scored Minor probably has more to do with magazine capacity than PF. 10mm, .40S&W & .357 Sig all have basically the same size case at the rim and you can only reliably fit 8 in a typical 1911 magazine where .38 Super is basically the same as 9mm and you can get 10 in a a typical magazine. Major is limited to 8 in the magazine at the start and the temptation for stuffing an extra round or two in with .38 Super may be to much for some to resist and hard for an RO to track...so it’s relegated to Minor regardless of PF.
    Yes, I believe this is part of the reason. The other part is the inherent risk in loading .38 super major. The open guys/gals build special guns for their division be it .38 super or 9mm major. Supported chambers being the main concern I believe. My Colt does not have a supported chamber and so there is a risk of a blown case head [super face anybody?]. I blew a case head once using a very fast powder in a minor load combined with what I think was a old worn case.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    Yes, I believe this is part of the reason. The other part is the inherent risk in loading .38 super major. The open guys/gals build special guns for their division be it .38 super or 9mm major. Supported chambers being the main concern I believe. My Colt does not have a supported chamber and so there is a risk of a blown case head [super face anybody?]. I blew a case head once using a very fast powder in a minor load combined with what I think was a old worn case.
    It's easy to make 165PF with .38 Super without excessive pressure and perfectly safe to shoot in standard 1911s.
    https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...38-super/99160
    https://www.handgunsmag.com/editoria...-powder/137998
    Some factory loads make it too:
    https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2017/...per-automatic/

But you may ultimately be right - USPSA playing it safe - I get that.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by extremist View Post
    It's easy to make 165PF with .38 Super without excessive pressure and perfectly safe to shoot in standard 1911s.
    https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...38-super/99160
    https://www.handgunsmag.com/editoria...-powder/137998
    Some factory loads make it too:
    https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2017/...per-automatic/

But you may ultimately be right - USPSA playing it safe - I get that.
    Yes, I have some of the Geco stuff and yes, it is lively ! Even with a slightly heavier recoil spring of #15 empties eject waaay far away.. But I pulled this paragraph from the article :

"My Colt pistol does not have a fully supported chamber since it has a 2-piece feed ramp. Chamber support is good, but some brands of high performance ammunition have sometimes produced excess bulging in the unsupported region. Four of 23 recovered brass had a small amount of excess bulging in the unsupported region near the case head. The remaining brass did not. Shooters with unsupported chambers should watch closely for evidence of excess case bulge, and if present, should discontinue use of any ammunition that does this. This ammunition would be perfectly safe in any chamber that offers full support, such as most ramped barrels."

One could probably go through hundreds if not thousands of this Geco ammo without mishap but all it takes is one weak case. My blown case was the result of a weak/older case and VV N310, a very fast powder that no doubt spiked the pressure very quickly. I felt little stings on my face and arms [I hate to think what would have happened w/o eye pro] and the gun froze solid. I pounded it open and extracted what was left of the case. My Wilson mag was deformed and the plastic follower broken. That was a light charge of fast powder, what would have happened with a compressed charge of slower powder and a weak case?

So yes, I think you are right, USPSA is playing it safe. Wisely so.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123