Thread: Cryptosporidium and water treatment

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Cryptosporidium and water treatment

For background, I went backpacking this weekend and since I hadn't used my Sawyer Squeeze filter in awhile it was taking forever and a day to prime.

I went with Aquatabs (since Aquamira drops were out at my local shops) which need to be replaced based on date.

When I got home and started shopping, I noticed the Aquatabs don't do squat about cryptosporidium, but the chemical treatments that do(Aquamira, Katadyn, and electro-salt units) all take 4 hours to deal with cryptosporidium. Ended up ordering Katadyn Micropur tabs to have the possibility of being more thorough, but....

Is there any solid info on how much of a threat cryptosporidium is in the US? Just an issue around urban areas and livestock farms, or is it an issue in undeveloped areas as well?

I know that chemical and filtration are both needed to eliminate viruses, but viruses in water is largely considered a non-threat in North America. Some of what i read indicates a similar situation with cryptosporidium, but others list it as a major issue.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 04-13-20 at 15:02.