Thread: Colt Python rollmarks

Feedback Score

Colt Python rollmarks

I just saw a blue 6” Python for sale at a very reasonable price in the local classified (I am in Switzerland). I already have a 4” and and an 8” Silhouette

Do I need it ? No. Do I want it ? Errmmm

Something immediately seemed off to me : the position of the rollmarks on the barrel, way to the right rather than centred

So I did a quick Google image search. And it seems those rollmarks are all over the place. Is that a known fact ?

Feedback Score
    I was was setting up to go and see it when the seller informed me it was already gone within a couple hours of posting it for sale. At $ 1350 it wasn’t gonna last long.

Feedback Score
    I think they're all done by hand. I never noticed the location variance (not a big python guy) but the quality of the rollmarking has a ton of variance over the years. You can clearly see raised metal in some around the lettering as an artifact in a lot of 90s guns in particular.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/862358981
    You can look at the images #16-17 to see an example

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/859271254
    Or image #3

The same thing shows up on a lot of their current 1911s as well. I think my M45A1 had a similar issue. Sometimes they get a bit hulky with the stamping.

Feedback Score
    Mine looks more like the first link. made in 1976 and a 6" barrel, blued. In my area, they are hard to sell. Mine has been for sale for about 2 years in local ads.

I am not sure about shipping firearms so i have it as pick up only.