Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NFA Clarification...

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

NFA Clarification...

I need some clarification here regarding my SBRs. I currently have 2 SBRs, both are configured for 10.5”. However, I want to change the length of the barrels for each upper to 11.5” and 14.5”. If I change the barrels and just keep one of the 10.5” barrels in my possession do I still need to amend that information to my forms with ATF? Or am I good to go? Does the 10.5” barrel need to be on a complete upper? All my other AR15 type firearms are pistols, so having a spare 10.5” barrel won’t put me in any “intent to” type situations, at least I don’t think it would.

I do want to send a letter to ATF for clarification, but sometimes I think that might bite us in the rear. I wanted to reach out to you all to see what you’re thoughts are prior to actually sending in a letter for clarification.
    Professionalism, it goes a long way.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You should be fine. I would hang onto the barrel to be able to return it to the configuration as stated on your form1. Heck you could put the barrel onto a junk upper with barrel nut and gas system and no rail or handguard.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There is no requirement to inform the ATF. You can send them a letter with all the current info and what you have changed if you like.

You might get a letter in 6-18 months thanking you for keeping the NFA registry updated.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigx View Post
    I need some clarification here regarding my SBRs. I currently have 2 SBRs, both are configured for 10.5”. However, I want to change the length of the barrels for each upper to 11.5” and 14.5”. If I change the barrels and just keep one of the 10.5” barrels in my possession do I still need to amend that information to my forms with ATF? Or am I good to go? Does the 10.5” barrel need to be on a complete upper? All my other AR15 type firearms are pistols, so having a spare 10.5” barrel won’t put me in any “intent to” type situations, at least I don’t think it would.

I do want to send a letter to ATF for clarification, but sometimes I think that might bite us in the rear. I wanted to reach out to you all to see what you’re thoughts are prior to actually sending in a letter for clarification.
    Ping BigWaylon here. Take his response as gospel and soldier on.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    First and foremost, DON'T contact ATF unless it is an emergency of some sort (unlikely) and the absolute last resort. There is no reason to, and it generally causes more harm than good. If I had more time, I could could compile a list, a litany of things lost to us over the past 3 decades because some dickwad had to write a letter to ATF.

Second, you can modify the can, say shortening it if it is a "repair". In the scheme of things, ATF doesn't give a shit if your can 5" or 6" as long as it has the correct serial number and maker information.

Third relative to SBR's. Some guys inexplicably interpret the NFA handbook to say the if you take the shorty upper off your registered SBR receiver, it is no longer an SBR and you can do with it as your wish, to include even selling it as a Title 1 firearm. Nothing could be further from the truth. While the shorty may be off, and you could say take it across state lines (where an SBR would be illegal) as a "standard" AR with a 16" barrel, the change is only TEMPORARY according to the ATF, unless the change is recorded in the registry and the SBR designation is removed. Do not fall in the trap of thinking you can unilaterally change the registry.

Lastly, the ATF doesn't really care about you. Don't think because you are one of hundreds of thousands of NFA owners that you are on some type of watch list. They have neither the time, money, or personnel to deal with this crap. Only if you **** up does the heat come down. Your due diligence will keep you clean. Do your research and know what is and what isn't.
    Last edited by juliet9; 04-18-20 at 12:26.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    What are you talking about “can”, I’m a bit confused with your response regarding a can that is 5” or 6”...

My question is changing my current SBR’s that are on the form 1” with an OAL for a 10.5” barrel. I want to keep them as NFA items, but one of them will be with a 11.5” and the other with a 14.5”. If I do that but keep one of my 10.5” barrels on hand, do I still have to notify ATF of the changes.

I’m planning on keeping a 10.5” upper in my possession and will go about doing the 11.5” and 14.5”. At the end of it all, I will have my two NFA items; Colt LE6920 w/ 14.5” barrel, LMT Defender w/ 11.5” barrel, BCM pistol w/ 13.7” barrel and an AP Pistol chambered in .300blk w/ 10.5” barrel. It’s been so long since I filed and gotten my stamps that I forgot what the regulations are with changing. I do know that going shorter is not an option, going under your stated OAL length on your form 1 is a big no no. However, I was a bit cloudy on notifying ATF with the changes for the longer barrels but still under 16”. I received clarification over the week. If it’s a permanent change than it would be advisable to amend the permanent change to my form 1. None of these changes I’m making is permanent since I will still have an upper that puts me back to the original config, so therefore I’m good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by juliet9 View Post
    First and foremost, DON'T contact ATF unless it is an emergency of some sort (unlikely) and the absolute last resort. There is no reason to, and it generally causes more harm than good. If I had more time, I could could compile a list, a litany of things lost to us over the past 3 decades because some dickwad had to write a letter to ATF.

Second, you can modify the can, say shortening it if it is a "repair". In the scheme of things, ATF doesn't give a shit if your can 5" or 6" as long as it has the correct serial number and maker information.

Third relative to SBR's. Some guys inexplicably interpret the NFA handbook to say the if you take the shorty upper off your registered SBR receiver, it is no longer an SBR and you can do with it as your wish, to include even selling it as a Title 1 firearm. Nothing could be further from the truth. While the shorty may be off, and you could say take it across state lines (where an SBR would be illegal) as a "standard" AR with a 16" barrel, the change is only TEMPORARY according to the ATF, unless the change is recorded in the registry and the SBR designation is removed. Do not fall in the trap of thinking you can unilaterally change the registry.

Lastly, the ATF doesn't really care about you. Don't think because you are one of hundreds of thousands of NFA owners that you are on some type of watch list. They have neither the time, money, or personnel to deal with this crap. Only if you **** up does the heat come down. Your due diligence will keep you clean. Do your research and know what is and what isn't.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigx View Post
    What are you talking about “can”, I’m a bit confused with your response regarding a can that is 5” or 6”...

My question is changing my current SBR’s that are on the form 1” with an OAL for a 10.5” barrel. I want to keep them as NFA items, but one of them will be with a 11.5” and the other with a 14.5”. If I do that but keep one of my 10.5” barrels on hand, do I still have to notify ATF of the changes.

I’m planning on keeping a 10.5” upper in my possession and will go about doing the 11.5” and 14.5”. At the end of it all, I will have my two NFA items; Colt LE6920 w/ 14.5” barrel, LMT Defender w/ 11.5” barrel, BCM pistol w/ 13.7” barrel and an AP Pistol chambered in .300blk w/ 10.5” barrel. It’s been so long since I filed and gotten my stamps that I forgot what the regulations are with changing. I do know that going shorter is not an option, going under your stated OAL length on your form 1 is a big no no. However, I was a bit cloudy on notifying ATF with the changes for the longer barrels but still under 16”. I received clarification over the week. If it’s a permanent change than it would be advisable to amend the permanent change to my form 1. None of these changes I’m making is permanent since I will still have an upper that puts me back to the original config, so therefore I’m good to go.
    Slang for suppressor.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Slang for suppressor.
    I know that, but what’s it gotta do with my question?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You do not need to notify ATF of a change in length of an AR SBR.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by juliet9 View Post

Honestly, I agree 100%.

Before I dove into the NFA world, I spent some time getting to know the Class 3 "guy" at the local SOT in our area.

He is certainly part of the crowd of: "The less people talk to the ATF, the better. Get your stamp, do what you want, and if it comes under scrutiny, you ****ed up."

OP, the statement to your question, about the suppressor relating your question, is:

Do your changes and trudge forward man. If the Lower is approved to be an SBR. It's and SBR.

Don't make it more complicated, and don't give the ATF the reason to write a letter of "precedence" cause some dude has a shitty day and is sick of people asking if they can change their barrel lengths without reporting it. Albeit purely hypothetical, it's also how braces went to being "not allowed" to be shouldered. And it took thousands more letters after to get them to "approve" them to be braced on your shoulder.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast