Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NFA Clarification...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigx View Post

I do know that going shorter is not an option, going under your stated OAL length on your form 1 is a big no no.
    Where did you hear this? In many years of reading I've never heard this before, and I don't believe it to be accurate.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackblack73 View Post
    Where did you hear this? In many years of reading I've never heard this before, and I don't believe it to be accurate.
    Seriously.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    You can go shorter, longer it doesn't matter so stop making it more complicated than it need to be. Once it is registered and an SBR you can go from 14.5 to 10.5 and back all you want.

https://blog.princelaw.com/2012/12/1...hotgun-sbrsbs/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigx View Post
    What are you talking about “can”, I’m a bit confused with your response regarding a can that is 5” or 6”...

My question is changing my current SBR’s that are on the form 1” with an OAL for a 10.5” barrel. I want to keep them as NFA items, but one of them will be with a 11.5” and the other with a 14.5”. If I do that but keep one of my 10.5” barrels on hand, do I still have to notify ATF of the changes.

I’m planning on keeping a 10.5” upper in my possession and will go about doing the 11.5” and 14.5”. At the end of it all, I will have my two NFA items; Colt LE6920 w/ 14.5” barrel, LMT Defender w/ 11.5” barrel, BCM pistol w/ 13.7” barrel and an AP Pistol chambered in .300blk w/ 10.5” barrel. It’s been so long since I filed and gotten my stamps that I forgot what the regulations are with changing. I do know that going shorter is not an option, going under your stated OAL length on your form 1 is a big no no. However, I was a bit cloudy on notifying ATF with the changes for the longer barrels but still under 16”. I received clarification over the week. If it’s a permanent change than it would be advisable to amend the permanent change to my form 1. None of these changes I’m making is permanent since I will still have an upper that puts me back to the original config, so therefore I’m good to go.
    Whoops. Sorry, I somehow copied and pasted something that was supposed to go elsewhere. That is where the "can" reference came in. My mistake.

Everything else I said about the SBR is correct. You can switch upper lengths, just remember the receiver is always registered as an SBR in the registry until you officially change status, which one would probably not do. No point.

You referenced a "permanent" change. The only true permanent change would be to remove the SBR status. If you elect to go from a 10.5" to a 14.5" and decide you like it more that way, I don't think I would waste the time to notify, because it really isn't an issue. The AR15 is unique in the SBR world in the aspect being a "modular" weapon with the ability to swap uppers at will. Having the tax stamp is simply a CYA.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Ping BigWaylon here. Take his response as gospel and soldier on.
    BigWaylon has publicly stated he no longer posts on M4C precisely because idiots like thebigx post things like “going shorter is not an option”.

This question has been asked a million times. A short barrel rifle has a barrel <16”, by definition.

It doesn’t matter if you put that it had a 1” or 15.99999” barrel on the form. Change it to whatever you want just don’t write to the BATFE.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    BigWaylon has publicly stated he no longer posts on M4C precisely because idiots like thebigx post things like “going shorter is not an option”.

This question has been asked a million times. A short barrel rifle has a barrel <16”, by definition.

It doesn’t matter if you put that it had a 1” or 15.99999” barrel on the form. Change it to whatever you want just don’t write to the BATFE.
    I didn’t realize. What a shame.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by juliet9 View Post
    Whoops. Sorry, I somehow copied and pasted something that was supposed to go elsewhere. That is where the "can" reference came in. My mistake.

Everything else I said about the SBR is correct. You can switch upper lengths, just remember the receiver is always registered as an SBR in the registry until you officially change status, which one would probably not do. No point.

You referenced a "permanent" change. The only true permanent change would be to remove the SBR status. If you elect to go from a 10.5" to a 14.5" and decide you like it more that way, I don't think I would waste the time to notify, because it really isn't an issue. The AR15 is unique in the SBR world in the aspect being a "modular" weapon with the ability to swap uppers at will. Having the tax stamp is simply a CYA.
    There’s only one legal definition of “short-barreled rifle,” and “having a serial number listed in the registry” ain’t it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by khc3 View Post
    There’s only one legal definition of “short-barreled rifle,” and “having a serial number listed in the registry” ain’t it.
    OK, but if you have an SBR you have to be able to prove that you paid the tax for that particular firearm or else you're guilty of a felony. How are you going to prove it without said stamp and serial number on that sheet of paper?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Can we shut this down before the nonsense gets any worse?

Feedback Score
    That's easy. Click on Thread Tools at the top of the thread towards the right and then select Unsubscribe from this Thread.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast