Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NFA Clarification...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    OK, but if you have an SBR you have to be able to prove that you paid the tax for that particular firearm or else you're guilty of a felony. How are you going to prove it without said stamp and serial number on that sheet of paper?
    Better question is how any interested authority will determine whether or not you are in possession of a “short-barreled rifle?”

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by khc3 View Post
    Better question is how any interested authority will determine whether or not you are in possession of a “short-barreled rifle?”
    I mean, any Local LEO worth their weight in salt, and especially uneducated LEO, already assume AR pistols require a stamp. (Live PD had a example of this within the last year).

If it looks to be under 16", you'll be asked to justify it. If it has "Rifle Features", such as a Stock and not a Brace, what is going to be the justification you would use when their next question is: "Where is your stamp/paperwork?"

Local LEO, as much as I support them, can be seriously under trained/educated on the technicalities for firearms ownership and NFA standards. What happen when they call the ATF field agent to conduct the inquiry?

Sure, 99% of the time, no one gives a shite. What about the 1% when someone comes under scrutiny?

This does need to be locked.

OPs question got answered, it's crap like this that just adds more frustration to the NFA Newbie, and far more confusion with a sprinkle of 10 year prison risk thrown in.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    BigWaylon has publicly stated he no longer posts on M4C precisely because idiots like thebigx post things like “going shorter is not an option”.
    Well that rots. I’m not on here much anymore but I noticed his absence.
    Where’d he post his departure? Another forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    I mean, any Local LEO worth their weight in salt, and especially uneducated LEO, already assume AR pistols require a stamp. (Live PD had a example of this within the last year).

If it looks to be under 16", you'll be asked to justify it. If it has "Rifle Features", such as a Stock and not a Brace, what is going to be the justification you would use when their next question is: "Where is your stamp/paperwork?"

Local LEO, as much as I support them, can be seriously under trained/educated on the technicalities for firearms ownership and NFA standards. What happen when they call the ATF field agent to conduct the inquiry?

Sure, 99% of the time, no one gives a shite. What about the 1% when someone comes under scrutiny?

This does need to be locked.

OPs question got answered, it's crap like this that just adds more frustration to the NFA Newbie, and far more confusion with a sprinkle of 10 year prison risk thrown in.
    What about a complete lower, alone, with no upper?

My initial post in this thread was in response to someone who said that would, or could, be considered a SBR.

Any confusion being spread on this thread isn’t coming from me; I broke my own rule byreplying to people spreading misinformation on NFA topics, oh well. Thanks for helping me remember why I had that rule.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by khc3 View Post
    There’s only one legal definition of “short-barreled rifle,” and “having a serial number listed in the registry” ain’t it.
    Perhaps you can clarify for the readers here.
    Last edited by juliet9; 04-30-20 at 13:40.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Sure. My advice is to read the relevant code sections, and if you are still unsure what they mean, or what the implications are for your particular situation, consult a lawyer.

In this case, I'd start here.
    Last edited by khc3; 05-01-20 at 19:49.

Feedback Score
    khc3, your response is completely useless. If you're so in the know, it should be easy for you to spell it out. Instead, the only thing in your reply that might be helpful, a link, doesn't even define short barrel rifle. The word short doesn't even appear on the page. If you don't have anything helpful to say, why even reply?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigx View Post
    I need some clarification here regarding my SBRs. I currently have 2 SBRs, both are configured for 10.5”. However, I want to change the length of the barrels for each upper to 11.5” and 14.5”. If I change the barrels and just keep one of the 10.5” barrels in my possession do I still need to amend that information to my forms with ATF?
    No

Or am I good to go?
    you are.

Does the 10.5” barrel need to be on a complete upper?
    No

All my other AR15 type firearms are pistols, so having a spare 10.5” barrel won’t put me in any “intent to” type situations, at least I don’t think it would.
    Correct

I do want to send a letter to ATF for clarification, but sometimes I think that might bite us in the rear. I wanted to reach out to you all to see what you’re thoughts are prior to actually sending in a letter for clarification.
    Scroll up and read post #3

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    OK, but if you have an SBR you have to be able to prove that you paid the tax for that particular firearm or else you're guilty of a felony. How are you going to prove it without said stamp and serial number on that sheet of paper?
    Your serial number is not a "definition" in the rules and regs. The OP's serial numbers are already registered and they pertain to the lower receiver, which is defined as a "firearm". It becomes an SBR, or other type rifle, depending on which upper is attached.

You are conflating two "definitions" SBR and Firearm. An SBR will have a taxed Firearm associated with it. That Firearm is the Lower. So to answer your question.....

Proove you have a tax stamp for an SBR... 1. Provide a tax stamp for the Lower SN:123xyz ... Now stick a 10" upper on it. GTG. Take that upper off, put a 12" on... GTG, take that off, put a 14" on... GTG. Proof in each case is the registered Firearm SN:123xyz

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    khc3, your response is completely useless. If you're so in the know, it should be easy for you to spell it out. Instead, the only thing in your reply that might be helpful, a link, doesn't even define short barrel rifle. The word short doesn't even appear on the page. If you don't have anything helpful to say, why even reply?
    Are you asking for a source for the definition of an SBR? That's not what this thread is about.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearm...arms-section-5

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast